Tree cutting problem

No, it is not just stump, it is WHOLE tree which is 92 feet tall. And it is not far from few houses.

I was responding to beowulf talking about tree stump removal.

But I've heard of people selling off trees to the saw mill. That can't be done with you? My boyfriend, most reluctantly, cut down trees on the property where his client was building a new house. (I say reluctantly because the house was built on a hill with a steep slope leading the way to a lovely pond. the trees would have protected against mud slides and soil erosion that could affect the house eventually).

Anyway, all those trees got sold off to the mill. $3,000 to cut down a pine tree is nuts. Someone got taken advantage of.

let them fall itself and let Insurance pay for it? What IF it fell right into poor Reba and she got killed, worth it? I don't think it is worth the risk, and $3K is about right.
:cry: Thank you.

We are also concerned about our elderly neighbors. That window you see next to the tree trunk is their master bedroom window. The room at the front corner of the house is their living room. Can you imagine the tree falling there?

Because of the height of the tree, if it accidentally fell forward, between the houses, it would cross the road out front, and land in the neighbors' driveway. Can you imagine someone driving by at that time?

At the very least, if it falls towards our house (garage side), it will destroy my Jeep (which I only got in May after my other one was totaled), Hubby's Jeep, his motorcycle, and his source of livelihood, his work van (which is fully equipped).

I was responding to beowulf talking about tree stump removal.

But I've heard of people selling off trees to the saw mill. That can't be done with you? My boyfriend, most reluctantly, cut down trees on the property where his client was building a new house. (I say reluctantly because the house was built on a hill with a steep slope leading the way to a lovely pond. the trees would have protected against mud slides and soil erosion that could affect the house eventually).

Anyway, all those trees got sold off to the mill. $3,000 to cut down a pine tree is nuts. Someone got taken advantage of.
Hubby checked around, and that seems to be the going price for a tree that size in that location (between houses).

Lumber companies in this area have acres and acres of mature pines that they harvest. They aren't interested in the hassle of getting one tree. If it was a mature oak, that might be worthwhile. But this is basically a trash tree (as far as lumber is concerned). It's the kind that gets used for pressure treated wood or paper mills. It's not furniture quality wood. It's not even good for fire wood. It will be ground up into mulch which at least has some value (not much in dollars though).

Do you know what the odds of getting killed by a tree is? It's something like 1 in 25 million. You have a better of getting killed in an auto collision, by cancer, the flu and more.
Not in this location. Property and people sustain a lot of damage here. We have beautiful stately oaks that line the road where there are several historic plantations. Those same oaks have frequently fallen and killed drivers and passengers. Every wind storm we have, several trees fall on houses. Just a few months ago, the house two doors down from us had a large limb fall on their bathroom and garage roof, going all the way thru to the floor. A few years ago, one of their trees fell across the front yard, and across the street. The sidewalk is still cracked and uneven from that one.

Many of the older trees that survived Hurricane Hugo were weakened, and continue to die or break.

Being killed by a falling tree in the Lowcountry is not rare.

$3,000? Someone's getting gypped. It's the same with car mechanics, there's a lot of dishonest people out there, they'll do anything to make a buck.

$3,000 for a single tree is a rip-off. A big rip-off. For a tree of that size, you should be able to get it removed for less than a thousand. Even $500 or less. How tall is the tree? It looks like it could be 40 ft, maybe 50 ft. It's hard to say from the picture.
It's closer to 100 feet.

We got several estimates. All except the first one were in the same ballpark.

Did you read the section about additional costs?

My boyfriend did some tree stump removal work - he would agree with you. And yeah, $3,000 to remove one tree stump??? Huge rip-off. Farmers would have never been able to clear land for farming if they had to pay that much per tree.
That's not the cost for just the stump. That's the cost for removing the entire tree. That is, cutting down the canopy, the 100' trunk, chipping and hauling the wood, grinding the stump, and cleaning up the yard.

Apparently, a mixture of water and nitrogen hastens the tree stump's demise -
Tree Stump Removal | Stump Grinders | Removing Tree Stumps
Our elderly neighbors just want it done quickly. They don't want the stump to outlive them.

The base stump would be about 10' around.

We've done the stump and root removal by hand in our yard many times. It's no quick and easy process.

Our elderly neighbors just want it done quickly. They don't want the stump to outlive them.

This made me LOL! I laugh because a tree that was cut down when I was a young child still was a still a visible stump when I was in High School. Depending on the tree and the environment that stump may be there for many many years.

Keep your pets indoors. You would be shocked to know how many dogs get killed in that type of job.

That's not the cost for just the stump. That's the cost for removing the entire tree. That is, cutting down the canopy, the 100' trunk, chipping and hauling the wood, grinding the stump, and cleaning up the yard.

We've done the stump and root removal by hand in our yard many times. It's no quick and easy process.

10 feet around? that's a huge tree. and you're right, fallen/falling trees are a hazard, especially in high wind zones. Seen much evidence of that in Arkansas and Alabama after major storms.

Just wondering who is cutting down the tree. Apparently landscaping companies do it for lower rates and they're insured for such jobs.

Please share, I think I can handle a little statistics! :wave:

I don't have the statistics. A couple of guys I worked with had trees kill family pets, and I came close to killing a poodle when I felled a huge oak tree.

Yeah, I have done cutting down trees and know how they are done. One of my friend almost had tree fell onto a nice tree house. It was a close call, glad one of the tree prevented it from happening.

As soon as I see the picture you showed to us, I knew right away what you are dealing with.

DHB

:cry: Thank you.

We are also concerned about our elderly neighbors. That window you see next to the tree trunk is their master bedroom window. The room at the front corner of the house is their living room. Can you imagine the tree falling there?

Because of the height of the tree, if it accidentally fell forward, between the houses, it would cross the road out front, and land in the neighbors' driveway. Can you imagine someone driving by at that time?

At the very least, if it falls towards our house (garage side), it will destroy my Jeep (which I only got in May after my other one was totaled), Hubby's Jeep, his motorcycle, and his source of livelihood, his work van (which is fully equipped).

I don't have the statistics. A couple of guys I worked with had trees kill family pets, and I came close to killing a poodle when I felled a huge oak tree.

I assume these animals overestimate their ability to out run a falling tree? :lol:

Animal instinct is to run away from danger.... a falling tree, it's probably better to run towards the base of the tree and off to one side. :hmm:

Keep your pets indoors. You would be shocked to know how many dogs get killed in that type of job.
Good advice. Neither of us has pets. I hope the squirrels stay out of the way. The noise and commotion should keep them at a distance.

10 feet around? that's a huge tree. and you're right, fallen/falling trees are a hazard, especially in high wind zones. Seen much evidence of that in Arkansas and Alabama after major storms.

Just wondering who is cutting down the tree. Apparently landscaping companies do it for lower rates and they're insured for such jobs.
It's a tree company, not just a landscaping company. Around here, landscaping companies remove only very small trees and large shrubs. Most of them don't have the equipment, expertise, or insurance for the big trees.

I would also think that the element of risk for the company (tree cutting) is factored in.

I wish I could come down and watch! I love watching discovery channel and TV shows about big equipment. The real thing should be even better!

I wish I could come down and watch! I love watching discovery channel and TV shows about big equipment. The real thing should be even better!
Yep. When the big chunks of tree hit the ground, it shakes with a thump. I could feel our neighbor's trees coming down, even a few houses away.

I like watching construction and destruction "projects."

I just hope there's no additional excitement tomorrow. :lol:

Well of nothing else take what pics you can and some before during and after shots.

Reba, I'm glad you got it done (with price bidding and finding right service) and pave away for tree removal. ONce it's all complete tomorrow, you and your neighbor will be in peace!!

Back