Tree cutting problem

They're working on the two front yard gum trees now.

My idea was not so far off , I said to use a cable and cut the tree in section , but I said have a helicopter. I think the guys did a great job! I bet you are glad that all over!

Update: The large pine was limbed by roping down each one. Nothing was allowed to just fall. The trunk was cut out (slice) on one side. A rope was attached to allow the ground worker to pull the piece over. The guy cutting would not be able to push it over.

The tree was so thick that there was no noticeable sway. The tree company owner stopped by for awhile. He said each section was 500-700 lbs because it was wet inside. The last large piece cut (about 12 feet tall) would have been about 4,000 lbs. The ring count made it 57-60 years old.

They had a chipper with truck, a remote-controlled stump grinder, dump trucks, Bob-cat, and a crew of 6. They did not bring any boom trucks.

The last tree will be taken down tomorrow morning if it is not raining. It is a gum. I will get the trunks for firewood. Pine is useless for anything. I never burn it in a fireplace. It gunks it up and then you need to have it cleaned. $$$

More pictures soon.

This is the firewood (some old, some from the recent tree cutting) that we have.

Attachments

• woodpile4.jpg
    woodpile4.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 14
  • woodpile5.jpg
    woodpile5.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 13
More than a cord! Wow that is alot, and it seems same size tree I just got for myself, it was maple. Anyway, you could get firepit and enjoy years to come. ;)

This is the firewood (some old, some from the recent tree cutting) that we have.

This is the wood that's left over. We will be giving it away this week.

Attachments

• woodpile1.jpg
    woodpile1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 11
  • woodpile2.jpg
    woodpile2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 10
  • woodpile3.jpg
    woodpile3.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 10
More than a cord! Wow that is alot, and it seems same size tree I just got for myself, it was maple. Anyway, you could get firepit and enjoy years to come. ;)
We have a woodstove for heating inside our house, and a small firepit for outdoors for hot dogs and marshmallows, or just sitting around.

Some of the wood is fresh from the recent cuttings. Some is one and two years old, from oak and cedar mostly.

I just read somewhere and it did mention that it is OK to use pine in woodstove as long as it is well seasoned. Which it means like 5 years or longer, let sap dry out so won't create creosote faster.

We have a woodstove for heating inside our house, and a small firepit for outdoors for hot dogs and marshmallows, or just sitting around.

Some of the wood is fresh from the recent cuttings. Some is one and two years old, from oak and cedar mostly.

I just read somewhere and it did mention that it is OK to use pine in woodstove as long as it is well seasoned. Which it means like 5 years or longer, let sap dry out so won't create creosote faster.
As you can see, we have plenty of firewood available without using pine. We don't have the room to store wood for five years before use. :)

There are also lots of downed oaks that lots of owners allow people to take for free. Our cedar was from someone we know that just wanted it removed from his lot.

Really, the only people around here who pay for firewood are those who either don't have the ability to split and transport it, or just have the money to burn (heh, heh). The wood itself is usually free if one can pick it up and split it.

5 years??? that's just asking for infestation and unwanted guests :Ohno:

Pine is OK if someone stores it outdoors to use for outdoor open fire pits. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

Pine is OK if someone stores it outdoors to use for outdoor open fire pits. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

Not as useful as hardwoods, pine burns very fast and pops a lot, along with the creosote issues. You got a lot of wood for winter heating in SC. My friend in northern Wisconsin would burn more than you have in one year. :eek3:

Not as useful as hardwoods, pine burns very fast and pops a lot, along with the creosote issues. You got a lot of wood for winter heating in SC. My friend in northern Wisconsin would burn more than you have in one year. :eek3:
We normally use one, maybe two racks of the wood per season.

We have another small rack closer to the house for quick use.

Last month, we took about half a utility trailer load with us to the campgrounds.

Not really, that is if you keep it covered with tarp and leave outside. If it is left open and exposure to rain yes that would be a problem.

We normally use one, maybe two racks of the wood per season.

We have another small rack closer to the house for quick use.

Last month, we took about half a utility trailer load with us to the campgrounds.

Sounds about right. My friend uses the wood stove to supplement his furnace. His home is very rural, near Hayward. His heating fuel and propane for stove are hauled in by truck, so it is expensive. He stretches it by burning wood, and keeping his thermostat in the low 60's. He also has ceiling fans, otherwise your feet would freeze, but you would nearly singe your hair when you stand. I recall that when he first started living there.

Not really, that is if you keep it covered with tarp and leave outside. If it is left open and exposure to rain yes that would be a problem.

Sorry , I disagree. It needs airflow to stay dry. covering it with tarp is a bad idea unless you get rain everyday. I'd put the wood on a pallet, just put a board on top or tent the top. This way the wood can still dry out properly and not get ground moisture and grow mushrooms on the wood. Been burning wood since I was a kid and still do, so I know.

Back