Tree cutting problem

What will they do with the stump?
Grind it down with the remote control power grinder.

What about the roots?
Probably leave them.

At one time I watched Holmes Home show that showed that the roots reached under basement of the house toward another side. :shock:
I like watching that show. We don't have basements. Some houses have crawl spaces. Our house and the neighbors' are built on concrete slabs.

View from upstairs in my house, looking at worker in gum tree.

Attachments

• gumtrees 001.jpg
    gumtrees 001.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 24
The tree service will be hauling away all the pine wood. So far, they've hauled off several dump truck loads. It's a lot to haul away.

We might keep some of the gum tree for firewood. We borrow the hydraulic splitter from church.

We already have several racks of firewood, mostly oak and cedar. We're running out of room. :lol:

We don't use a lot of firewood each year in this area. We do have a wood stove, and we make the most use that we can. The weather just isn't that cold.

Good plan. I know pine has a lot of sap within, creating chimney problems with creosote. Maybe you can haul some of the firewood to campgrounds next year? Offer it through the church for those that might have need?

More gum trees:

Attachments

• gumtrees 005.jpg
    gumtrees 005.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 21
  • gumtrees 006.jpg
    gumtrees 006.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 19
  • gumtrees 016.jpg
    gumtrees 016.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 18
  • gumtrees 023.jpg
    gumtrees 023.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 18
  • gumtrees 029.jpg
    gumtrees 029.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 18
  • gumtrees 033.jpg
    gumtrees 033.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 19
Good plan. I know pine has a lot of sap within, creating chimney problems with creosote. Maybe you can haul some of the firewood to campgrounds next year?
It depends on the campground. Some campgrounds don't allow campers to bring wood because of infestation of pest bugs. The campground that we went to recently did allow us to bring our trailer of firewood.

Offer it through the church for those that might have need?
Pine wood, unless seasoned for a very long time, is not good for firewood.

Our church already donates firewood from trees that get cut down on church property. Mostly oak and other hardwoods.

It depends on the campground. Some campgrounds don't allow campers to bring wood because of infestation of pest bugs. The campground that we went to recently did allow us to bring our trailer of firewood.

Pine wood, unless seasoned for a very long time, is not good for firewood.

Our church already donates firewood from trees that get cut down on church property. Mostly oak and other hardwoods.

Yes, very true about the bugs. However, you mentioned that you have a large pile of wood, and use only a little. It could be made available to others. Does the church give away all their wood?

Yes, very true about the bugs. However, you mentioned that you have a large pile of wood, and use only a little. It could be made available to others. Does the church give away all their wood?
I think they give away all but a little that they keep for outdoor rally bonfires and kids' summer camp use.

Our church has some wooded acres but it's not really located in a rural area. It's in a commercial zone, and not many of the houses in the surrounding area have wood burning fireplaces or stoves. Ironically, the houses that most poor people live in are either mobile homes, apartments, townhouses, or small houses that don't have wood-burning fireplaces.

In our neighborhood, even though the houses are built with wood-burning fireplaces, not that many people use them. They either convert to gas fireplaces, or they don't use them. Our elderly neighbors (with the trees) have a very nice full-size brick fireplace that they've never used.

We have a wood-burning stove installed into our fireplace to make it more efficient. Nothing fancy (we bought it used) but it works well. One winter we had to use it for three months (day after Christmas until end of March) because our heat pump went out and we couldn't afford to replace it. It kept the downstairs rooms very toasty, and the upstairs rooms tolerable.

I think they give away all but a little that they keep for outdoor rally bonfires and kids' summer camp use.

Our church has some wooded acres but it's not really located in a rural area. It's in a commercial zone, and not many of the houses in the surrounding area have wood burning fireplaces or stoves. Ironically, the houses that most poor people live in are either mobile homes, apartments, townhouses, or small houses that don't have wood-burning fireplaces.

In our neighborhood, even though the houses are built with wood-burning fireplaces, not that many people use them. They either convert to gas fireplaces, or they don't use them. Our elderly neighbors (with the trees) have a very nice full-size brick fireplace that they've never used.

We have a wood-burning stove installed into our fireplace to make it more efficient. Nothing fancy (we bought it used) but it works well. One winter we had to use it for three months (day after Christmas until end of March) because our heat pump went out and we couldn't afford to replace it. It kept the downstairs rooms very toasty, and the upstairs rooms tolerable.

Alright. Thanks for the replies!

So, they pretty much cut it down the way a lot of us predicted it could be done: with one experienced tree climber and a dude below pulling on some rope. I still don't understand why that had to cost 3000$, but I'm just glad you didn't have to pay for some totally unnecessary crane.

So, they pretty much cut it down the way a lot of us predicted it could be done: with one experienced tree climber and a dude below pulling on some rope. I still don't understand why that had to cost 3000$, but I'm just glad you didn't have to pay for some totally unnecessary crane.

My guess is that the insurance rates for company liability, plus worker liability, are off the charts high. Then add the truck loads of debris hauled away. It is expensive none the less.

Great job on the part of the tree company. I just know this wasn't an easy job. We get to think about that for ourselves, but luckily, our's isn't as close to homes, but it is just as tall. No cracks and such, still quite full, but MIL wan'ts it gone as she feels it's a hazard to the neighbor's swimming pool if a strong hurricane comes through.

My guess is that the insurance rates for company liability, plus worker liability, are off the charts high. Then add the truck loads of debris hauled away. It is expensive none the less.

Maybe South Carolina is different when it comes to this type of stuff, but I'd guess they just pay a flat rate for their insurance and liability. I don't see how they can charge more on a per-job basis for insurance. The insurance overheard should be the same for any job.

It's probably just a fact of life living in SC that tree cutting companies overcharge. If this had been in California, the cost would have been no more than $1500, I am positive of that.

Reba, on that very last picture when the cutter made the first cut of the trunk, did you notice the tree sway violently or did that cable prevent that?

At the very top of the tree, yes but not violently. The higher the tree are, more flex the tree moved. Now the reason of sway, the guys who pulling the rope on the ground pulled hard to be sure that the top trunk moved in the right direction. Now, once it cut all the way, the portion of the trunk will move toward where the guy are on the ground and the tree start to move the opposite direction, this what cause the sway. Remember the guys on the ground pulling hard and it buckle the tree toward where the guys pulling. It's very common. As each portion of being cut, going down, it get more stiffer, less sway.

I totally understand why you guys in SC are advised not to move firewood around. Had a little class session in Bio on the Emerald ash borer beetle before. Really cool information.

Emerald Ash Borer Beetle (EAB) | Stop The Beetle

I recall seeing this:

717br7.jpg

Wow, cool pictures, Reba. Glad it was all done professionally and no problems!

Thanks for sharing the pictures Reba - it was just like being there without all the noise :). I'm sure it feels good to have the problem finally taken care of. Now you can say "bring on the storms and wind!" haha.

Back