Tree cutting problem

The latest: My insurance co. said if I had a tree that was damaged or dangerous, they would look at it and have me (homeowner) file under my homeowner's policy. Therefore, only pay any deductible.

So, tomorrow I will tell my neighbor. Maybe he will call his ins. co.

I am also going to call some other companies.

Get a beaver.

Yeah, that or just start hacking away with an AX... At least this way you will be outside the house screaming when the tree comes down on one of the houses. :laugh2:

Our neighbor's 100 ft dead tree (curse the emerald ash borer) had cracks running up and down the trunk, and was located less than ten feet from their house. He managed to find a trio of insured tree acrobats to shimmy up and down that dead tree, sawing in sections, for $1,500, chipping/grinding included. Entertaining to watch! The tree guys, all brothers, were crazy characters straight out of a reality tv show, Deadliest Catch-types.

Going the cheaper route is risky but complete safety compliance equates to the price of a small car??? IDK, sometimes a quick and dirty job just gets it done. Or can you see if anyone else needs crane tree removal on your street? Something like a multiple job discount could be applied?

I see 2 long notches. I hope it's not a crack???
There are many horizontal cracks that have been healed over. However, the cracks are still there, under the bark. Each estimator that's come out has remarked on how they're surprised that the tree is still standing with all that damage. :eek:

After getting a couple more estimates, we picked another tree service. The two new estimates were very close to each other, so they're probably accurate.

The cost for the pine tree will be $3,000. The cost for cutting down four other large trees, and trimming a couple others will be about $1,500. That includes removal of stumps and debris.

They start work tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. Unfortunately, I won't be around when they start, so I'll miss some photo ops. :( They start at 8 a.m., and I have a 9 a.m. appointment. I probably won't get home until about 10:30 or later.

We'll have to park a few houses away from our house. There's an empty house there, so we'll use their driveway. We also have to warn the family across the street from us.

After getting a couple more estimates, we picked another tree service. The two new estimates were very close to each other, so they're probably accurate.

The cost for the pine tree will be $3,000. The cost for cutting down four other large trees, and trimming a couple others will be about $1,500. That includes removal of stumps and debris.

They start work tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. Unfortunately, I won't be around when they start, so I'll miss some photo ops. :( They start at 8 a.m., and I have a 9 a.m. appointment. I probably won't get home until about 10:30 or later.

We'll have to park a few houses away from our house. There's an empty house there, so we'll use their driveway. We also have to warn the family across the street from us.

$3,000? Really? What a rip-off. Do yourself a favour and let the tree fall on its own, then your homeowners insurance will pay for it. I wouldn't spend that much to have a tree removed. You could ask around to see if someone will remove it for free though.

let them fall itself and let Insurance pay for it? What IF it fell right into poor Reba and she got killed, worth it? I don't think it is worth the risk, and $3K is about right.

Also, sometimes Insurance company can deny pay out if found neglected by owner plus the home owner insurance premium will DEFINITELY go up. So, it is not always good idea to use Insurance to pay for it.

$3,000? Really? What a rip-off. Do yourself a favour and let the tree fall on its own, then your homeowners insurance will pay for it. I wouldn't spend that much to have a tree removed. You could ask around to see if someone will remove it for free though.

We'll see what Reba looks like in a straitjacket then. :giggle:

let them fall itself and let Insurance pay for it? What IF it fell right into poor Reba and she got killed. Worth it? I don't think it is worth the risk, and $3K is about right.

Also, sometimes Insurance company can deny pay out if found neglected by owner plus the home owner insurance premium will DEFINITELY go up. So, it is not always good idea to use Insurance to pay for it.

Do you know what the odds of getting killed by a tree is? It's something like 1 in 25 million. You have a better of getting killed in an auto collision, by cancer, the flu and more.

$3,000? Someone's getting gypped. It's the same with car mechanics, there's a lot of dishonest people out there, they'll do anything to make a buck.

$3,000 for a single tree is a rip-off. A big rip-off. For a tree of that size, you should be able to get it removed for less than a thousand. Even $500 or less. How tall is the tree? It looks like it could be 40 ft, maybe 50 ft. It's hard to say from the picture.

• Small trees up to about 30-feet high, such as a Black Mulberry, Dogwood or Russian Olive, with clearance of buildings and utility lines cost about $125-$437 to remove.

• Medium-sized trees from 30-60 feet tall including the Black Alder, Black Gum and Crabapple, that are set apart from buildings and utilities run $175-$900.

• Large trees 60-80 feet high, including Red Oak, Pine and Black Locust, are estimated at $400-$1,000.

• Trees 80-100 feet tall such as the American Ash, Bur Oak and Sugar Maple can cost anywhere from $962-$1,400+.

Cost of Tree Removal - Get Prices Paid and Estimates - CostHelper.com

It does not outline the risk factor. Im not going to argue because I know how liablity insurance works. I have been there and know it. These estimates are for those with minimal risks. Point here is, the more riskier the costlier it will be. Simple as is.

Do you know what the odds of getting killed by a tree is? It's something like 1 in 25 million. You have a better of getting killed in an auto collision, by cancer, the flu and more.

$3,000? Someone's getting gypped. It's the same with car mechanics, there's a lot of dishonest people out there, they'll do anything to make a buck.

$3,000 for a single tree is a rip-off. A big rip-off. For a tree of that size, you should be able to get it removed for less than a thousand. Even $500 or less. How tall is the tree? It looks like it could be 40 ft, maybe 50 ft. It's hard to say from the picture.

If I remember right, from earlier posts the tree is over 100' tall. Plus, the tree cannot be taken down in a single cut due to the proximity of the houses and there is significant danger of the tree twisting and falling in the wrong direction due to splits in the trunk.

I had a tree taken down around a power line and it cost me $1,700. I thought it a rip off at the time, but the tree had already damaged property 3 times in the past. (the damage exceeded the cost of the tree removal).

At those prices it would be a short career. It is truly backbreaking work, let me tell you.

At those prices it would be a short career. It is truly backbreaking work, let me tell you.

My boyfriend did some tree stump removal work - he would agree with you. And yeah, $3,000 to remove one tree stump??? Huge rip-off. Farmers would have never been able to clear land for farming if they had to pay that much per tree.

Apparently, a mixture of water and nitrogen hastens the tree stump's demise -
Tree Stump Removal | Stump Grinders | Removing Tree Stumps

No, it is not just stump, it is WHOLE tree which is 92 feet tall. And it is not far from few houses.

My boyfriend did some tree stump removal work - he would agree with you. And yeah, $3,000 to remove one tree stump??? Huge rip-off. Farmers would have never been able to clear land for farming if they had to pay that much per tree.

Apparently, a mixture of water and nitrogen hastens the tree stump's demise -
Tree Stump Removal | Stump Grinders | Removing Tree Stumps

There you talking. Damage can exceed $3k very easy, that is why there is risk factored in the cost.

If I remember right, from earlier posts the tree is over 100' tall. Plus, the tree cannot be taken down in a single cut due to the proximity of the houses and there is significant danger of the tree twisting and falling in the wrong direction due to splits in the trunk.

I had a tree taken down around a power line and it cost me $1,700. I thought it a rip off at the time, but the tree had already damaged property 3 times in the past. (the damage exceeded the cost of the tree removal).

And to try to "let the insurance company take care of it" in THIS case seems dishonest to me.....

Yup, and guess who gotta to fork the cost? It is EVERY home owner insurance customers. Insurance companies have to get money from somewhere, and if there is significant loss, Insurance companies will pass to these homeowners. There is no way around and yep, using Insurance just to get away is dishonest and has its consequences.

And to try to "let the insurance company take care of it" in THIS case seems dishonest to me.....

Back