Tree cutting problem

1 word. Beavers

Beavers usually don't mess with pines. I could see it now, beavers running around with their mouths stuck together with pine sap! :P

I tried that with the one in our yard that the committee wouldn't allow us to cut down. I found a nest of termites, dug them up, and planted them at the base of the tree. It didn't work. :|

Only Carpenter bee will eat it up. Termite doesn't like sticky gooy pine sap.

yes, this is too much Reba. Just think this way the longer the wait the more to add on top of "This is too much". It won't go away, just same way with debts, the longer wait to fix on debt it gets worse. Only problem is that can't file bankruptcy on nature while can do on debts.

We just got an updated estimate from the tree service. Because of the crane rental, they want an additional $3,000 for the pine tree.

I don't think our neighbors will accept that.

They also require that our neighbors, TCS, and I leave our houses for the day of cutting. They also require that we park our cars TWO BLOCKS from our house! They have to get special city permits to block the road for the day.

This is just too much!

The ongoing saga of our trees . . . sigh.

In our subdivision, because we are in the town limits, we have to get permission before we can cut down our trees.

Our next door neighbor finally got permission to cut down a few of their trees. One of them is a giant pine tree that is between their house and our house. It's a very scary tree. Every time the wind blows, it twists like it's going to snap.

The only reason the tree board gave approval to cut it down is because it's within five feet of our neighbor's house.

(Because our neighbors are elderly, and in poor health, they've asked Hubby to make all the arrangements for the permit, estimates, cutting arrangements, etc.)

When the tree service came out, the estimator man told us that it was a very dangerous tree. (Nothing new to us.)

Here's the problem.

It's too dangerous to leave in place, and it's too dangerous to cut down.

At first the tree service guy said they could cut it down for $1,700 if they used a crane to remove it, and if they cut down the magnolia in front of it. They warned us to not be in our garage (next to the tree), and for the neighbors to not be in that side of their house. We planned to park our cars down the street. He warned us that we'll probably end up with deep ruts in our yard from the sections that fall, and from the impressions from the crane legs.

Today, he told us, it's just to dangerous to attempt. He doesn't want to risk the lives of his crew! Also, he's afraid that the crane weight might crack our drive way.

Hubby and the tree guy are still trying to resolve the problem. He's checking with another crane operator who does bridge construction. It's possible if they put a larger crane in the middle of the street and work from there. It will cost a lot more.

What do you do when it's too dangerous to leave alone, and too dangerous to cut down? :hmm:

I know someone who can take it down and for a lot less.

The ongoing saga of our trees . . . sigh.

In our subdivision, because we are in the town limits, we have to get permission before we can cut down our trees.

Our next door neighbor finally got permission to cut down a few of their trees. One of them is a giant pine tree that is between their house and our house. It's a very scary tree. Every time the wind blows, it twists like it's going to snap.

The only reason the tree board gave approval to cut it down is because it's within five feet of our neighbor's house.

(Because our neighbors are elderly, and in poor health, they've asked Hubby to make all the arrangements for the permit, estimates, cutting arrangements, etc.)

When the tree service came out, the estimator man told us that it was a very dangerous tree. (Nothing new to us.)

Here's the problem.

It's too dangerous to leave in place, and it's too dangerous to cut down.

At first the tree service guy said they could cut it down for $1,700 if they used a crane to remove it, and if they cut down the magnolia in front of it. They warned us to not be in our garage (next to the tree), and for the neighbors to not be in that side of their house. We planned to park our cars down the street. He warned us that we'll probably end up with deep ruts in our yard from the sections that fall, and from the impressions from the crane legs.

Today, he told us, it's just to dangerous to attempt. He doesn't want to risk the lives of his crew! Also, he's afraid that the crane weight might crack our drive way.

Hubby and the tree guy are still trying to resolve the problem. He's checking with another crane operator who does bridge construction. It's possible if they put a larger crane in the middle of the street and work from there. It will cost a lot more.

What do you do when it's too dangerous to leave alone, and too dangerous to cut down? :hmm:

He is my deaf roommates stepdad. He specializes in dangerous tree removal and gives discounts for seniors.

He is my deaf roommates stepdad. He specializes in dangerous tree removal and gives discounts for seniors.

At this late stage, it sounds like you think this guy would go to Reba's place and get her neighbor's headache out of their way.....

Wouldn't hurt to ask him.

He took down a huge sweetgum tree that was about 15 feet from my house. Charged me $75

He would charge more since he would have to drive up there. It wouldn't be anywhere near the current estimate of $4,700. If he can get it on the ground, would you guys be able to cut it up and haul it off?

He is insured and bonded.

Wouldn't hurt to ask him.

He took down a huge sweetgum tree that was about 15 feet from my house. Charged me $75

He would charge more since he would have to drive up there. It wouldn't be anywhere near the current estimate of $4,700. If he can get it on the ground, would you guys be able to cut it up and haul it off?

He is insured and bonded.

Sounds almost too good to be true. Anyway, this being insured and bonded apply to/extend to SC? Would be really nice if he could drive up there and safely do this 7K job for say, half that cuz there's other trees they want trimmed, etc. It doesn't sound like either party (Reba/hubby and the neighbor) want to keep the wood. A ton of splitting is involved plus they say pine isn't good for burning indoors. The new SC law regarding bringing your own firewood to campgrounds doesn't help matters a whit.

My hunch is that this tree company is really trying to suck the most out of this job, kinda like when a car mechanic says you need a new power steering box because the fluid is leaking and the turning grinds. It looks and sounds bad, and you don't really know what to do. But, if they just used a little creativity, they could take apart the box and replace a gasket, and voila. Problem solved. They just won't make much money. So, basically, they're trying to screw you, but not in an overtly dishonest way.

"Safety reasons" is not the real reason why this is so expensive. Professional treeclimbers are trained for any situation, including ones like this.

On top of that, renting a crane does not cost $3,000. No freaking way. Those machines are rented on an hourly rate. The treecutters are no doubt acting as a middleman and charging you for a full day's rental. They'll use the crane for, at the most a couple hours.

Their motivation is easy to understand. Nobody spends money to cut down trees in a bad economy, except of course when they're in your situation and some Nazi homeowner association is forcing them to. They need to make as much off this job as they possibly can.

Talk to Stein. It's not "too good to be true." There are plenty of experienced tree cutters who can do this at a much cheaper rate. The fact that multiple people with such experience are saying this should be reason enough to think that.

I tried that with the one in our yard that the committee wouldn't allow us to cut down. I found a nest of termites, dug them up, and planted them at the base of the tree. It didn't work. :|

termites like wood that going rotten . I was joking , I would not bring termites into my yard.

Alex, the one reason why I think the 3K for the crane is about right is because, in this situation, a big enough of a crane is called for to do the job literally at the end of Reba's driveway...in the street. So, obviously a crane this big is needed just to reach the job.

This is ultimately Reba/hubby's and their neighbor's decision to make. I just don't, given the circumstances, think Steinhauer's guy can do this for less than 3k, the cost of the crane alone because the two parties involved do not want to chew up the lawns and driveway. Maybe Steiny's guy can do everything for half but not less than 3K by a long shot. They have an estimate for just over 7K but they might be happy with 5K if Steiny's guy's strategy is accepted. Then there's the matter of him being bonded out of GA, not SC.......fun, fun, huh?

I perused this local tree company's website and it looks very professional and appears they are quite reputable so.......

Alex, the one reason why I think the 3K for the crane is about right is because, in this situation, a big enough of a crane is called for to do the job literally at the end of Reba's driveway...in the street. So, obviously a crane this big is needed just to reach the job.

This is ultimately Reba/hubby's and their neighbor's decision to make. I just don't, given the circumstances, think Steinhauer's guy can do this for less than 3k, the cost of the crane alone because the two parties involved do not want to chew up the lawns and driveway. Maybe Steiny's guy can do everything for half but not less than 3K by a long shot. They have an estimate for just over 7K but they might be happy with 5K if Steiny's guy's strategy is accepted. Then there's the matter of him being bonded out of GA, not SC.......fun, fun, huh?

I perused this local tree company's website and it looks very professional and appears they are quite reputable so.......

Ummm, it is 7,500, not 3,000.

I DO mention the 7K but the 3K was the upgraded cost of, obviously, a larger crane to do the job from literally the street.

I was getting confused, lol. I meant 4,700. But either way, 4700 or 7000 is too much. Heck, take up Stein on the offer. If I was a bit younger, I would do it myself!

I was getting confused, lol. I meant 4,700. But either way, 4700 or 7000 is too much. Heck, take up Stein on the offer. If I was a bit younger, I would do it myself!

Since we are here, tell us how you would do this job....

Reba, I just explained your situation to a few fellow workers and they roared with laughter at the cost. They said to put an ad in the paper and you will get competing bids.

Since we are here, tell us how you would do this job....

Carefully. :lol:
A two-man crew at least. Starting at the top. Using rope to lower cut sections.
Then fell the tree between the houses when it is short and trimmed enough.

Carefully. :lol:
A two-man crew at least. Starting at the top. Using rope to lower cut sections.
Then fell the tree between the houses when it is short and trimmed enough.

Seems reasonable enough. You are willing to take this risk. How long do you think it would take you to complete this job? Then what would you charge?

I wonder how far out of some of those limbs you'd be willing to go in order to cut small enough branches that won't damage the garage plus not whip lash yourself off......:lol:

Edit: I have done a few trees myself but never under these very harrowing circumstances.

Seems reasonable enough. You are willing to take this risk. How long do you think it would take you to complete this job? Then what would you charge?

I wonder how far out of some of those limbs you'd be willing to go in order to cut small enough branches that won't damage the garage plus not whip lash yourself off......:lol:

Edit: I have done a few trees myself but never under these very harrowing circumstances.

It can be done in one day. I cut branches close to the tree itself and position myself to prevent whiplash and to make sure the rope won't get snagged or swing away from the tree.
Believe me, it can be done. The problem is finding someone with the guts to do it. :lol:

Back