Tree cutting problem

It can be done in one day. I cut branches close to the tree itself and position myself to prevent whiplash and to make sure the rope won't get snagged or swing away from the tree.
Believe me, it can be done. The problem is finding someone with the guts to do it. :lol:

:lol: Here we are, trying to figure this out and Reba/hubby are spending their day Sans Souci! :lol:

:lol: Here we are, trying to figure this out and Reba/hubby are spending their day Sans Souci! :lol:

Yeah, I know.
I looked at the pics and you know what? I can make the whole tree fall between the houses! :naughty:

Yeah, I think their driveway is over 85 feet long plus you got the width of the street.
The driveway doesnt look 85'. Just checked again. Looks like 50'. But you do have the widht of the road, and some more on the others driveway.. mmmm :)

16541d1320361201-tree-cutting-problem-stlpine2.jpg

This price is outlandish - sounds like they are pricing high because they really don't want the job, a practice used more often in the trades than most like to think. We had a 65 ft birch in the corner of our backyard. Between us and all our neighbors there was a fence within 3 feet of the tree as well as an elevated treehouse in our yard (4 ft from tree), neighbors garage (tree hung over it) another neighbors shed (tree hung over it) and kitty-corner neighbor had treehouse. No throughway to the backyard except a sidewalk between our house and neighbors fence on opposite side of the yard. We hired a small company, went to the lake for the day and came back to find no signs of the tree (stump was ground right down), no damage to anything and not a sign of a tree limb or leaf in sight in any of the yards. Total cost? $500. Another company we hired had to rent a boom that had to go over our house from street to backyard to assist in laying a concrete foundation - even that, including concrete and labor was under $3000. I would defnitely check around, get a couple more estimates (at least one from a certified arbourist). At least that way you can feel comfortable in your final decision. I would hate to see you overpay for something that you are doing to help out yourselves as well as your neighbor.

Yeah, I think their driveway is over 85 feet long plus you got the width of the street.
The distance from the tree trunk to the middle of the road is 100 ft.

The tree is estimated at 100 ft. tall.

The driveway doesnt look 85'. Just checked again. Looks like 50'. But you do have the widht of the road, and some more on the others driveway.. mmmm :)
I agree; I think it's less than 100. I'm going to measure it.

I hope it doesn't touch the driveway of the neighbor across the street from us. He is really sensitive about his driveway access. Really.

We went out with our mega tape measure.

It's 92 ft. from the tree to mid street.

The widest part of the green canopy is 50 ft.

The space between our houses is 20 ft.

Reba, I just explained your situation to a few fellow workers and they roared with laughter at the cost. They said to put an ad in the paper and you will get competing bids.
I'd rather that TCS go contact the tree companies. I don't want a bunch of strangers contacting us thru an ad.

16541d1320361201-tree-cutting-problem-stlpine2.jpg

Yup, that tree is going to have to be "topped" in sections. A 2 man crew with one climber. Easy peezy.

Reba just say the word and I will ask him if he can do it. I am guessing he would charge about $800 plus travel expenses. He is personable and can do it.

PS: southern yellow pine isn't exactly worthless. It's used to make framing studs (2x4).

Yup, that tree is going to have to be "topped" in sections. A 2 man crew with one climber. Easy peezy.

Reba just say the word and I will ask him if he can do it. I am guessing he would charge about $800 plus travel expenses. He is personable and can do it.
I appreciate that. :)

I think we want someone local, though. Also, we need the debris removed and stump ground down, so we would still need a local person for that.

It's not just the work itself but the liability factor.

TCS is going to contact our insurance company today and see if they have any ideas. He's also going to contact other tree companies for estimates.

This is such a hassle. :|

. . . and we still have other tress to cut down, and many overhanging limbs to cut back, from both yards.

It's hard to believe that Hurricane Hugo took out about 1/3 of our trees, and in the years since we've cut down another 1/3. We still have so many large trees left!

It's not against you. I just can't handle strangers coming to my door. Not everyone is reputable.

yea - just like this faker

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkURzaFql_k]Insurance Scam Fail HILARIOUS! - YouTube[/ame]

It's not against you. I just can't handle strangers coming to my door. Not everyone is reputable.

I was just kidding.
I hope you don't put down your address in the ad. Just a phone number would suffice, and you can make appointments for them to look at the job.
Of course you know that as well. :giggle:

Back