Tree cutting problem

NOOOOO! Your name being a tree. (sorry)

My name is Sequoias, I produce 2,000 cones and spread out 900,000 seeds in a year in a fiery season.

Basically, Sequoias gets around. :lol:

Wirelessly posted

I know nothing about any of this but a thought came to mind: can they cut it down piece by piece not just uprooting it? - apologise in advance if I am not picturing it correctly.

Last edited:
Will they get to keep the wood on top of the 1700?
No. The tree company brings a stump grinder, and the branches get put into a machine that makes mulch out of the wood.

Pine wood isn't good for indoor burning. My neighbors never use their fireplace anyway.

No. The tree company brings a stump grinder, and the branches get put into a machine that makes mulch out of the wood.

Pine wood isn't good for indoor burning. My neighbors never use their fireplace anyway.

What about someone wanting to build furniture, etc. out of the bigger boards than are usually available anymore? I have seen Norm Abrams talk about this on PBS many times because so many old growth trees have been cut.

Reba, Have you talk with homeowner insurance about this issue? Since this will be impending disaster going to happen and you might want to let them know about it. It would be lot cheaper to have insurance cover it than personal lost of life or distruction to the house.

You know this going to be funny story.. to bad that you don't have power line near that tree. about 2 years ago, when our tornado was about to touch down our back yard. We have 4 trees fallen. In front of our house, there's one tree leaning toward our house, leaning near the power line. Good news that all the trees in our back yard belong to next door neighbor, so it's his responsibility to clean it up. Now the question remain is our tree out front. I look at it and it's about 6 feet leaning to the power line. So, I decided to call BGE (Baltimore, Gas and Electric) to see if it's their responsibility to cut it down, because I remember there was some rules about that. BGE said that it's either within 3 feet to the power line or touch the line. I told BGE that I need to go check. Then I came back out and take a look again. So, I decided to get my truck and a rope. I wrapped the rope around the tree and hook it to my trailer hitch. My wife think I'm nuts. So, I gave a little tug and pull, the tree leaned a little bit!! So, I gave a little more pull.. and indeed it leaned a little more!! Perfect, it's within 3 feet to the power line!! So, I quickly call BGE and told them that tree IS within 3 feet. BGE said "Ok I will have them to check it out" True business, they cut it down. Since I don't want to cut it down myself, and it wouldn't make any differences if the will fall and break the power line or me tugging it too far and start to fall. You know?? I don't want to pay for the tree service and blah blah... So, I'm happy that I manage to move the tree a little without falling down. The root of the tree just hanging it on there, and big plus, no wind.

What about someone wanting to build furniture, etc. out of the bigger boards than are usually available anymore? I have seen Norm Abrams talk about this on PBS many times because so many old growth trees have been cut.
I wouldn't know how to get in touch with the right person.

Even when cut into sections, each trunk section weighs more than a full-size van. That's not something you want to fall on your house. If it just hits the ground, it leaves an indentation.

We can cut down smaller trees. We've done plenty. But the combined size and location of this one is too hazardous. It's also riskier when you're dealing with damaged or unhealthy trees.

Several years ago, TCS cut down some trees at our old house. He didn't realize that one of them had rotted out on the inside. Instead of falling in the direction that he cut, it started collapsing downward, towards him. He jumped out of the way but he nicked his knee with a clean cut from the chain saw. That required a trip to the ER for stitches.

During Hurricane Hugo, several trees did fall on, and crash thru our neighbors' roof. They don't want to experience that again.

The problem with Southern pines is that they don't uproot when they are whipped by winds. They don't sway either. They twist. The top half twists like a top. Finally, it will snap in half. When the pressure is relieved, the top half will continue around and downward. That's why after Hugo, there were miles and miles, acres and acres, of pine trees snapped in half.

If you notice, all the green growth is just on the top part of the tree. The wind catches that, and tries to spin it like a top. Of course, the bottom half is stationery. That's the problem with them.

Same location, after Hurricane Hugo. Note trees broken half way up.

Attachments

• hugo3.jpg
    hugo3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 23
Reba, Have you talk with homeowner insurance about this issue? Since this will be impending disaster going to happen and you might want to let them know about it. It would be lot cheaper to have insurance cover it than personal lost of life or distruction to the house.
Our neighbor on the other side of our house was told by his insurance company that he needed to remove some limbs and trees from the area close to his house, at his own expense. It's probably the same for us. Insurance only pays after the damage is done.

You know this going to be funny story.. to bad that you don't have power line near that tree.
Yeah, we have underground electric, phone, and cable.

about 2 years ago, when our tornado was about to touch down our back yard. We have 4 trees fallen. In front of our house, there's one tree leaning toward our house, leaning near the power line. Good news that all the trees in our back yard belong to next door neighbor, so it's his responsibility to clean it up. Now the question remain is our tree out front. I look at it and it's about 6 feet leaning to the power line. So, I decided to call BGE (Baltimore, Gas and Electric) to see if it's their responsibility to cut it down, because I remember there was some rules about that. BGE said that it's either within 3 feet to the power line or touch the line. I told BGE that I need to go check. Then I came back out and take a look again. So, I decided to get my truck and a rope. I wrapped the rope around the tree and hook it to my trailer hitch. My wife think I'm nuts. So, I gave a little tug and pull, the tree leaned a little bit!! So, I gave a little more pull.. and indeed it leaned a little more!! Perfect, it's within 3 feet to the power line!! So, I quickly call BGE and told them that tree IS within 3 feet. BGE said "Ok I will have them to check it out" True business, they cut it down. Since I don't want to cut it down myself, and it wouldn't make any differences if the will fall and break the power line or me tugging it too far and start to fall. You know?? I don't want to pay for the tree service and blah blah... So, I'm happy that I manage to move the tree a little without falling down. The root of the tree just hanging it on there, and big plus, no wind.
I'm glad that you didn't get zapped with your little maneuver! :lol:

Is that southern yellow pine? If so, it is worthless, not even for furniture. It only useful for pressure treated lumber that is it.

This is not something we can mess with, let alone pros deal with it. Reba is correct all along.

I would have worried about this tree years ago. Just saying. :giggle:

A crane can tie up branches and the trunk in sections before cutting it down. That's how they do it with redwoods that grow in tight spots. That way it wont fall on the house. Don't give up Reba. :)

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Beowulf said:

We have been. But it doesn't belong to us.

Will they get to keep the wood on top of the 1700?

I am going to ask them for the trunks of the gum trees. They make good firewood for our wood stove and for camping. Not as hard as oak or cherry but still.....

Uhm, I find this amusing because I am surrounded by dozens of these kinds of trees of this size or larger. I literally live in the woods. So far we have had only on tree snap and fall on the house. No major damage was done. We had to replace the shingles and patch the hole on the decking of the part of the porch it landed on. It narrowly missed my bed room window by just a couple of feet and my bed is under that window. I call that divine intervention.

Am I worried about the trees falling? No. Why? Because it's not if it's going to happen, it's when it is going to happen. I guess it's to be expected in these parts.

We've already cut down some of these large trees that have died. We have a redneck method of doing it so that the tree falls into the woods and not on the house. I wouldn't call it a safe method though. :shock:

BTW - Arkansas plays against South Carolina this week in Fayetteville, AR. :D

Go Gamecocks!!!! (really though I am a Clemson and Michigan State fan).

We have been worrying about that particular tree for over 10 years. Nothing we could do. It's on the neighbor's property.

Back