Tree cutting problem

Tree as seen from our back yard.

Attachments

• STLpine_scar.jpg
    STLpine_scar.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 39
Circumference at chest height is 8 feet. It is 100 feet tall.

On a second thought, I think AlleyCat, Beowulf and Jiro got it right, you just need a lone pro willing to go up there and lop them off section by section after removing the branches. I watched a palm tree cutting on youtube (seems to have a lot of tree cutting videos :giggle:) and they made it look really easy. The trunk's diameter seemed similar as yours from a glance.

You're definitely going to lose your fence, no matter how you slice it. (pun intended!)

On a second thought, I think AlleyCat, Beowulf and Jiro got it right, you just need a lone pro willing to go up there and lop them off section by section after removing the branches. I watched a palm tree cutting on youtube (seems to have a lot of tree cutting videos :giggle:) and they made it look really easy. The trunk's diameter seemed similar as yours from a glance.

I hope you YouTube it, Reba :giggle:

This tree is not located on city easement. It's on private property, so the homeowner is responsible for it.

same here only the very front with the tiny grasses after the sidewalk, then it's city's responsible to watch after trees. weird.

I've cut down plenty of trees like that with no problem. I just climb the tree as high as I can,tie a rope to the section being cut, and have a few guys pull as I cut. It takes nerve, but can be done.

I was going to say cutting it down in section too. I have heard of trees being cut down that way when it dangerous to chop down. I knew a guy that had to cut a tree that way , it was a lot work but can be down.

yeah I need to re check with my hub but rebas issue sounds same as ours. your trees look tall too. too tall is too crazy enough to drop down so quickly.

I agree with Alex. Professionals can cut down any tree anywhere and will do it happily. Typically they take all the branches off the tree and then cut it down section by section. It might be a hassle and it might cost dearly but where there's a will there's a way - be it via climber, picker, crane or boom. Good luck! :)

I see 2 long notches. I hope it's not a crack???
Yes, there are cracks. That's another problem. The tree guys are afraid the tree is unstable.

Ive cut down a bunch of 50+' trees, but not in a housing area...

The other folks in this thread has said what I would have btw.

Yes, there are cracks. That's another problem. The tree guys are afraid the tree is unstable.

:Ohno: I hope you get it down before the next Great Storm.

In this picture, you can see the height of it, in the center.

The latest conversation I had was:

The tree company will hire a crane. It will be placed in the center of the street at the end of our driveway. Needs the city's approval to close it. The road is a loop so cars can go the other way around.

Because of the cracks in the trunk, the tree company owner does not want to risk a man up in the tree because if the tree starts to sway too far as weight is removed, the pine might break in half. The climber will be DOA.

Years ago we had four pines removed from our back yard. On the last one the cutter topped it and the tree trunk whipped him back and forth so bad that he lost grip of his hands and feel (with cleats). Only the harness kept him attached. If he had not had his head to the side, it would have knocked him out cold.

After the limbs are lowered, they will cut the trunk in sections. The crane will put lift tension on it so the cutter can go all the way through.

Stump grinding is included on all trees removed.

Last edited:
Tree that got crack in it? Then it calls for professional, and don't wait. Hope Hurricane season will be over without making landfall in your area.

Now that you got idea, Reba. Only professional will know what they are talking about. So, you can determine which knows and which not to hire.

I wouldn't recommend using Craig's list in your case. I used Craig's list to get free trees and it is strictly hardwood for me. I turned down few that are related to liability risks, and all pines too (Plus more than 50 miles from my home). I do not want any creosote build up in chimney. Pine are prone to create heavy creosote.

To others that cut down trees for themselves. I support environment and trees. Please do not cut down and transport more than 50 miles. The reason is that often there are invasive insects that may unintended spread to other areas and kills more trees. NYS law prohibits transport these trees more than 50 miles from its origin. There is two elm trees across my house, and it got Emerald Ash borer from Michigan and it is killing them. Hopefully technician is saving that trees.

Sounds like a solid plan of attack TCS ... can't wait to see pictures and/or video once the job is underway and done :).

Tree that got crack in it? Then it calls for professional, and don't wait. Hope Hurricane season will be over without making landfall in your area.

Now that you got idea, Reba. Only professional will know what they are talking about. So, you can determine which knows and which not to hire.

I wouldn't recommend using Craig's list in your case. I used Craig's list to get free trees and it is strictly hardwood for me. I turned down few that are related to liability risks, and all pines too (Plus more than 50 miles from my home). I do not want any creosote build up in chimney. Pine are prone to create heavy creosote.

To others that cut down trees for themselves. I support environment and trees. Please do not cut down and transport more than 50 miles. The reason is that often there are invasive insects that may unintended spread to other areas and kills more trees. NYS law prohibits transport these trees more than 50 miles from its origin. There is two elm trees across my house, and it got Emerald Ash borer from Michigan and it is killing them. Hopefully technician is saving that trees.
The company is professional. We contacted them because we saw the excellent job they did a few houses down from us. Those people had several trees cut down.

Back