This hearing woman says that mental illness is a Myth - ASL video

that's right. you can't suffer from a condition unless it has been officially diagnosed. if that were the case, then i suppose i had juvenile bipolar before it was even considered a legitimate diagnosis since i experienced lots of behavior problems and mood swings in school.

I'm sorry but I don't agree. I think that Bipolar was around when you were growing up. I think it was called manic depression at one point.

However for me I suffered mostly from Asperger syndrome as a child. It was a childhood problem. As an adult my asperger syndrome is a lot milder. I might have had problems being diagnosed at all but my dad kept a lot of old notes that teachers had written about my behavior as a child and I was diagnosed more or less on the basis of that.

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. I think that Bipolar was around when you were growing up. I think it was called manic depression at one point.

bipolar disorder (or at the time manic-depression) has been around since the 1950s, but i'm referring to juvenile bipolar. those are 2 completely different diagnoses.

dreama,

if you think it's nonsense that i wasn't dx'ed with juvenile bipolar, so be it, but that diagnosis wasn't around back in the 1970s and early 80s.

I don't think I was. I think that my parents just got me in the special school because I also had an underactive thyroid, petit mal epilepsy and mild deafness. I AM now diagnosed with asperger syndrome since the criterior changed but that didn't happen till after I grew up. I wouldn't have been diagnosed with Kanner type autism because I didn't suffer from it but at the time there was something wrong for me to have been moved to a special school but it was not something that was well understood. My parents had to fight a lot of battles on my behalf.

Exactly. You could not have been diagnosed with something for which there was no criteria nor diagnosis. That is the whole point.

bipolar disorder (or at the time manic-depression) has been around since the 1950s, but i'm referring to juvenile bipolar. those are 2 completely different diagnoses.

When was Juvanile bipolar added then?

The question wether you suffered from it or not really wouldn't have anything to do with wether it was on a list. From my understanding you weren't diagnosed with Bipolar until you were an adult and were missdiagnosed with schzophrina type disorder prior to that.

Exactly. And what dreama is failing to understand, many, many diagnoses have to be based on long standing behavioral manifestations. Never are they diagnosed in children. The child would receive a different diagnosis in childhood, and then, if symptoms persist into adulthood, they are diagnosed with the specific disorder.

An example would be, a child diagnosed with Conduct Disorder. If the symptoms of conduct disorder persist into adulthood, they can be considered to be long standing patterns, and the adult would then receive a diagnosis of a personality disorder.

Exactly. You could not have been diagnosed with something for which there was no criteria nor diagnosis. That is the whole point.

But she had the same symptoms as a child today. They just did not name it in her childhood. Symptoms were still there.

The question wether you suffered from it or not really wouldn't have anything to do with wether it was on a list. From my understanding you weren't diagnosed with Bipolar until you were an adult and were missdiagnosed with schzophrina type disorder prior to that.

There is a type of Bi-polar Disorder that includes schizophrenic type symptomology as part of the criteria for diagnosis.

What you are trying to do is take a complicated and time consuming task...diagnosis...and break it down into 1 or two simplified steps. It simply cannot be done.

Exactly. And what dreama is failing to understand, many, many diagnoses have to be based on long standing behavioral manifestations. Never are they diagnosed in children. The child would receive a different diagnosis in childhood, and then, if symptoms persist into adulthood, they are diagnosed with the specific disorder.

An example would be, a child diagnosed with Conduct Disorder. If the symptoms of conduct disorder persist into adulthood, they can be considered to be long standing patterns, and the adult would then receive a diagnosis of a personality disorder.

this is true. as you know jillio, juvenile bipolar disorder is a highly controversial diagnosis. only through clear observation is a child who displays symptoms of juvenile bipolar diagnosed as such.

dreama,

if you weren't dx'ed with something else when you were born, that means you didn't have asperger's since it wasn't considered a valid diagnosis in 1970.

That's my point. It didn't exist but I was displaying all the symptoms of asperger at the time. So I was born with asperger. I just wasn't diagnosed with it until I was an adult. Autism isn't generally something you would get as an adult. It's something that you were born with. That's why when they make the diagnoses they read and study behavior that was displayed as a child.

this is true. as you know jillio, juvenile bipolar disorder is a highly controversial diagnosis. only under clear circumstances is a child who displays symptoms of juvenile bipolar diagnosed as such.

Yes, it is a very controversial diagnosis. And practitioners need to be extremely careful in applying such.

That's my point. It didn't exist but I was displaying all the symptoms of asperger at the time. So I was born with asperger. I just wasn't diagnosed with it until I was an adult. Autism isn't generally something you would get as an adult. It's something that you were born with. That's why when they make the diagnoses they read and study behavior that was displayed as a child.

Again, many disorders are not diagnosed until adulthood. That doesn't mean the individual was misdiagnosed. It means that patterns must be established before a specific diagnosis is possible.

jillio can correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe juvenile bipolar was added to the dsm in the mid 90s or 2000s.

just because i wasn't diagnosed with bipolar as a child didn't mean i never suffered from it. remember, my parents were the type of people who refused to admit that i had any medical condition -- including hearing loss. i didn't receive hearing aids until age 15 for a moderately-severe loss and my high school resource teachers had to literally beg my parents to take me for a hearing test. as far as my schizophrenic bipolar is concerned, i was misdiagnosed in 2006 as schizoaffective, but accurately dx'ed as atypical bipolar I with rapid cycling a few weeks ago. having said that, the attending psychiatrist who dx'ed me as schizoaffective wasn't *completely* wrong since i do suffer from auditory hallucinations, delusions and paranoia. the only difference is that those symptoms are not my primary symptoms unless i'm off of meds or am manic. according to my therapist and psychiatrist, i've suffered from atypical bipolar since at least my early 20s, if not earlier. dreama, i would appreciate it if you would not tell me what is right or wrong in terms of my diagnosis. leave that up to jillio and other professionals who know how to make a correct diagnosis.

But she had the same symptoms as a child today. They just did not name it in her childhood. Symptoms were still there.

And children who exhibited those symptoms were diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. Since Asperger's is an autism spectrum disorder, the diagnosis was still a correct diagnosis. To be very specific, at that point in time, she would have been diagnosed with infantile autism. Since Asperger's is on the spectrum, and it did occur at birth, the diagnosis was accurate.

Exactly! That's what I'm trying to explain to them.

that does not mean you had asperger's when you were born. you cannot have a disorder unless and until it is officially dx'ed by a medical professional.

jillio can correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe juvenile bipolar was added to the dsm in the mid 90s or 2000s.

just because i wasn't diagnosed with bipolar as a child didn't mean i never suffered from it. remember, my parents were the type of people who refused to admit that i had any medical condition -- including hearing loss. i didn't receive hearing aids until age 15 for a moderately-severe loss and my high school resource teachers had to literally beg my parents to take me for a hearing test. as far as my schizophrenic bipolar is concerned, i was misdiagnosed in 2006 as schizoaffective, but accurately dx'ed as atypical bipolar I with rapid cycling a few weeks ago. having said that, the attending psychiatrist who dx'ed me as schizoaffective wasn't *completely* wrong since i do suffer from auditory hallucinations, delusions and paranoia. the only difference is that those symptoms are not my primary symptoms unless i'm off of meds or am manic. according to my therapist and psychiatrist, i've suffered from atypical bipolar since at least my early 20s, if not earlier. dreama, i would appreciate it if you would not tell me what is right or wrong in terms of my diagnosis. leave that up to jillio and other professionals who know how to make a correct diagnosis.

Your right, I'm not in a possition to diagnose you as a child. Neither is Jillo for that matter since we would have to know about you or know about your disorder too.

I'm not saying you didn't have junior bipolar. If you think that you missread my post. But a normal mainstream school really wouldn't be suitable with a child who had mental health problems which is why I was moved.

you can't be born with a condition that never existed at the time. however, you can be dx'ed with it as an adult.

Your right, I'm not in a possition to diagnose you as a child. Neither is Jillo for that matter since we would have to know about you or know about your disorder too.

I'm not saying you didn't have junior bipolar. If you think that you missread my post. But a normal mainstream school really wouldn't be suitable with a child who had mental health problems which is why I was moved.

I can definitively say that HA did not suffer from Juvenile Bi-Polar Disorder. It wasn't a diagnosis at the time she was a child. Therefore, she could have been diagnosed with early onset of any one of a number of diagnoses, but definatively not juvenile onset Bi-Polar Disorder.

Back