This hearing woman says that mental illness is a Myth - ASL video

Exactly. Several mental disorders could be responsible for hallucinations and/or delusions.

precisely. i suffer from auditory hallucinations and delusions myself, but that does not mean i have schizophrenia. i do have a schizophrenic form of bipolar, but that does not equate to schizophrenia. the only exception to this would be if i were accurately dx'ed with schizoaffective disorder in which case i would have an illness that falls under the spectrum or subtype of schizophrenia.

no, i do not. if someone in the 1300s suffered from schizophrenic type symptoms, it does not automatically mean they have schizophrenia since this illness was not discovered until 1887 by dr. emile kraepelin.

Your logic leaves me scratching my head. Of course that 1300 woman had schizophrina. It just wasn't diagnosed.

In some instances, yes, but CBT is not always the appropriate or most effective treatment for all individuals or all disorders.

Thats right, Jillio. I was in CBT for awhile. It didn't do a thing for me, but I'm now with a dialectical behavioral therapist and doing well.

Your logic leaves me scratching my head. Of course that 1300 woman had schizophrina. It just wasn't diagnosed.

dreama,

first of all, how can someone have a condition that doesn't even have a name? second, just because someone displays symptoms of schizophrenia doesn't mean they have the illness. take me for example. i hear voices, have delusions and 7 different types of paranoia. does that mean i'm a paranoid, catatonic, undifferentiated, disorganized or residual schizophrenic? no, it doesn't. it means that i have a schizophrenic type of bipolar disorder called atypical bipolar I with rapid cycling.

You cannot diagnose a mental disorder posthumously. Diagnosis is based on observed and reported behaviors. Someone who is dead is not behaving in any way, and therefore, their behavior cannot be observed. Nor do you have the assessments completed that are necessary for a specific diagnosis.

There is a reason that diagnosis is left to the professionals.:roll:

dreama,

alot of mental illnesses weren't discovered until the 1800s (or much, much later like manic-depression/bipolar in the 1950s), so how can someone have a disorder when there isn't a name for it? saying that a person has a given disorder just because they have certain symptoms is overlooking other environmental factors not to mention additional diagnoses that may be responsible for what they are experiencing.

The other thing is: there are worse things than having a mental illness.

unless you've experienced mental illness yourself or know someone who has, you don't understand how disabling mental illness can be. try telling a schizophrenic who constantly hears voices and/or is paranoid that there are worse things to have than mental illness. try telling someone who suffers from severe depression and suicidal thoughts that there are worse things to have than mental illness. try telling someone like myself with bipolar who rapid cycles on an hourly basis that there are worse things to have than mental illness.

dreama,

alot of mental illnesses weren't discovered until the 1800s (or much, much later like manic-depression/bipolar in the 1950s), so how can someone have a disorder when there isn't a name for it? saying that a person has a given disorder just because they have certain symptoms is overlooking other environmental factors not to mention additional diagnoses that may be responsible for what they are experiencing.

I am officially confused. I think dreama was just saying that even though a lot of mental illnesses weren't discovered until the 1800s or later, that doesn't mean it didn't EXIST before then. Bi-polar, manic-depression, etc, have always existed, but they just didn't have the diagnosis for it or use a very general diagnosis.

I am officially confused. I think dreama was just saying that even though a lot of mental illnesses weren't discovered until the 1800s or later, that doesn't mean it didn't EXIST before then. Bi-polar, manic-depression, etc, have always existed, but they just didn't have the diagnosis for it or use a very general diagnosis.

a mental illness or condition can't exist if it doesn't have a name or a diagnosis.

a mental illness or condition can't exist if it doesn't have a name or a diagnosis.

Are you saying that there is no such thing as bipolar before it was a diagnosis. Every single person in history did NOT have bipolar because they didn't know about it back then?

manic-depression/bipolar and schizophrenia didn't always exist. someone had to discover them before they were given a name. psychiatrists need to evaluate a person's symptomatology before giving a diagnosis. even when the board of the dsm evaluates what mental illnesses and disorders will be listed in the next version of the dsm, studies need to be conducted of patients in order to validate their symptoms and come up with new diagnoses.

Are you saying that there is no such thing as bipolar before it was a diagnosis. Every single person in history did NOT have bipolar because they didn't know about it back then?

that's exactly what i'm saying. you can't have a mental illness or condition if there is no name for it.

unless you've experienced mental illness yourself or know someone who has, you don't understand how disabling mental illness can be. try telling a schizophrenic who constantly hears voices and/or is paranoid that there are worse things to have than mental illness. try telling someone who suffers from severe depression and suicidal thoughts that there are worse things to have than mental illness. try telling someone like myself with bipolar who rapid cycles on an hourly basis that there are worse things to have than mental illness.

All I said was that there are worse things to suffer from than mental illness.

Secondly--my ex-wife was bi-polar which I did not know. She went on a "anger binge" and murdered our daughter. So to tell me that I don't understand how disabling mental illness can be is an understatement. She knew she was bipolar but refused medication and thus is now sitting in prison for the rest of her life.

And again Sweetie--there are worse things to have than mental illness--like a terminal disease.

that's exactly what i'm saying. you can't have a mental illness or condition if there is no name for it.

That's sad. Someone can look back in history and saw that a person had the exact same symptoms of being bi-polar, but at the time, I'm sure people just said "Pfft you're perfectly fine. You have no mental illness because there is no name nor diagnosis for what you have."

my mother had pancreatic cancer and only lived for 5 months following her diagnosis, but she was always of the opinion that having bipolar was worse after having seen me experience mania and severe depression.

That's sad. Someone can look back in history and saw that a person had the exact same symptoms of being bi-polar, but at the time, I'm sure people just said "Pfft you're perfectly fine. You have no mental illness because there is no name nor diagnosis for what you have."

just because a person isn't diagnosed with a mental illness doesn't mean that their illness is being denied. what it means is that a person cannot be diagnosed if there is no name for his/her disorder.

just because a person isn't diagnosed with a mental illness doesn't mean that their illness is being denied. what it means is that a person cannot be diagnosed if there is no name for his/her disorder.

So you do agree that they DO have the illness itself? You're just saying that they cannot be diagnosed AT the time if there is no name for this disorder. Correct?

Back