This hearing woman says that mental illness is a Myth - ASL video

But a normal mainstream school really wouldn't be suitable with a child who had mental health problems which is why I was moved.

why is that? i know plenty of children with mental health issues who are in regular classes and doing well thanks to being on meds that stabilize thier moods. please don't make generalizations about the capabilities of children who have mental illness.

that does not mean you had asperger's when you were born. you cannot have a disorder unless and until it is officially dx'ed by a medical professional.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong there. People are either born with Asperger or they don't have it.

When you were diagnosed with Bipolar the shrink didn't ask evidence of childhood bipolar.

When I was diagnosed with Asperger it was reguired that I DID have evidence of asperger as a child. You see the differance?

I can definitively say that HA did not suffer from Juvenile Bi-Polar Disorder. It wasn't a diagnosis at the time she was a child. Therefore, she could have been diagnosed with early onset of any one of a number of diagnoses, but definatively not juvenile onset Bi-Polar Disorder.

exactly. that's why my psychiatrist told me that most people who have bipolar are dx'ed in their teens or early 20s, if not later.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong there. People are either born with Asperger or they don't have it.

When you were diagnosed with Bipolar the shrink didn't ask evidence of childhood bipolar.

When I was diagnosed with Asperger it was reguired that I DID have evidence of asperger as a child. You see the differance?

No, you did not have evidence of Asperger's as a child. You had evidence of autism spectrum behaviors that were, as an adult, identified as Asperger's Syndrome.

Originally Posted by Hear Again View Post
that does not mean you had asperger's when you were born. you cannot have a disorder unless and until it is officially dx'ed by a medical professional.

When you agree with that, it is like saying that a schizophrenic with pre-scientific era diagosis of demon possession had demon possession since schizophrenia was yet unnamed.

actually, my psychiatrist DID ask me about my childhood. in fact, before i even had the chance to see him, i had to attend a one hour interview with a therapist to discuss my childhood and mental health history. i also had to complete a 13 question mood disorder questionaire to determine whether or not i had bipolar even though i've been dx'ed as such for the past 2 years. again, please don't make conclusions about something you clearly know nothing about.

shadow,

diagnosing a schizophrenic as having "demon posession" is not a valid diagnosis -- it is one of many different symptoms of that illness. however, schizophrenia is a valid diagnosis.

why is that? i know plenty of children with mental health issues who are in regular classes and doing well thanks to being on meds that stabilize thier moods. please don't make generalizations about the capabilities of children who have mental illness.

If they are on med's yes. However, if they are undiagnosed they wouldn't be on medicine so if they had a severe mental health problem as a child it would definately show in their behavior.

When you agree with that, it is like saying that a schizophrenic with pre-scientific era diagosis of demon possession had demon possession since schizophrenia was yet unnamed.

Not at all.

shadow,

diagnosing a schizophrenic as having "demon posession" is not a valid diagnosis -- it is a symptom of that illness. however, schizophrenia is a valid diagnosis.

Yes but do you think a schizophrenic circa 1300 did not have schizophrenia just because it was not yet named?

If they are on med's yes. However, if they are undiagnosed they wouldn't be on medicine so if they had a severe mental health problem as a child it would definately show in their behavior.

that's true, but it doesn't necessarily mean an unmedicated child will be placed in a special school or special ed classroom. in fact, 95% of children who are unmedicated with undiagnosed mental illnesses are in regular classrooms attending regular schools.

actually, my psychiatrist DID ask me about my childhood. in fact, before i even had the chance to see him, i had to attend a one hour interview with a therapist to discuss my childhood and mental health history. i also had to complete a 13 question mood disorder questionaire to determine whether or not i had bipolar even though i've been dx'ed as such for the past 2 years. again, please don't make conclusions about something you clearly know nothing about.

If your psychiatrist did not ask for a complete history, he was remiss in his diagnistic evaluation. An important part of any diagnosis is the history. In fact, history of long standing behaviors is mandatory for many diagnoses.

And those behaviors would be used as part of the diagnostic procedure.:roll:

Yes but do you think a schizophrenic circa 1300 did not have schizophrenia just because it was not yet named?

No way to know. Best you could say from historical documentation is that an individual exhibited behaviors that could possibly be classified as schizophrenic type behaviors.

no, i do not. if someone in the 1300s suffered from schizophrenic type symptoms, it does not automatically mean they have schizophrenia since this illness was not discovered until 1887 by dr. emile kraepelin.

no, i do not. if someone in the 1300s suffered from schizophrenic type symptoms, it does not automatically mean they have schizophrenia since this illness was not discovered until 1887 by dr. emile kraepelin.

Exactly. Several mental disorders could be responsible for hallucinations and/or delusions.

If your psychiatrist did not ask for a complete history, he was remiss in his diagnistic evaluation. An important part of any diagnosis is the history. In fact, history of long standing behaviors is mandatory for many diagnoses.

this is true. unfortunately, my previous psychiatrist didn't do a complete history on me. instead, he just looked at my inpatient hospital records from 2006 and dx at the time, but didn't question it.

Back