This hearing woman says that mental illness is a Myth - ASL video

that's exactly what i'm saying. you can't have a mental illness or condition if there is no name for it.

I disagree with that...back in the old days, people who exhibited behavior that wasnt within the norms of society were misunderstood or even looked at having the devil in them. It is possible that these people had mental illness...just only society was ignorant about them back then.

So you do agree that they DO have the illness itself? You're just saying that they cannot be diagnosed AT the time if there is no name for this disorder. Correct?

no. i'm not saying that they have a certain disorder since a person's symptoms can be indicative of any mental illness. for example, a person who hears voices, is delusional and/or paranoid may not necessarily have schizophrenia. until which time a psychiatrist can discover an illness, conduct research and make a diagnosis, it is impossible to validate whether or not someone is experiencing a given mental illness.

I disagree with that...back in the old days, people who exhibited behavior that wasnt within the norms of society were misunderstood or even looked at having the devil in them. It is possible that these people had mental illness...just only society was ignorant about them back then.

just because people of the 1300s (or any time in history) displayed signs of mental illness doesn't mean that they suffered from a certain condition. i'm going to stand by my point that you can't diagnose something that doesn't have a name. let's agree to disagree, shel.

just because people of the 1300s (or any time in history) displayed signs of mental illness doesn't mean that they suffered from a certain condition. i'm going to stand by my point that you can't diagnose something that doesn't have a name. let's agree to disagree, shel.

Right, u cant diagnose something that doesnt have a name but it doesnt mean it is not there...that's what I am saying about the old days before education about mental illness was more advanced.

no. i'm not saying that they have a certain disorder since a person's symptoms can be indicative of any mental illness. for example, a person who hears voices, is delusional and/or paranoid may not necessarily have schizophrenia. until which time a psychiatrist can discover an illness, conduct research and make a diagnosis, it is impossible to validate whether or not someone is experiencing a given mental illness.

A young doctor sees "Bob" and writes down all of his symptoms and sees that there is no specific diagnosis for his problems, so he just tells "Bob" that he has some form of mental illness. Fast forward 30 years later, the doctor sees that there is a new diagnosis that matches EXACTLY what "Bob" had at the time. What does this mean?

A young doctor sees "Bob" and writes down all of his symptoms and sees that there is no specific diagnosis for his problems, so he just tells "Bob" that he has some form of mental illness. Fast forward 30 years later, the doctor sees that there is a new diagnosis that matches EXACTLY what "Bob" had at the time. What does this mean?

OR.... hundred of patients with this same symptoms & diagnosis everywhere.

my mother had pancreatic cancer and only lived for 5 months following her diagnosis, but she was always of the opinion that having bipolar was worse after having seen me experience mania and severe depression.

Sorry to hear that your mom passed from pancreatic cancer.

But I still disagree and believe that there are worse illnesses than mental illness out there.

Like having AIDS, tuberculosis, cryptosporidium, cytomelgovirus, toxoplasmosis, m.a.c., pancreatic cancer, breast cancer, etc, etc.

i don't understand your question.

Sorry to hear that your mom passed from pancreatic cancer.

But I still disagree and believe that there are worse illnesses than mental illness out there.

Like having AIDS, tuberculosis, cryptosporidium, cytomelgovirus, toxoplasmosis, m.a.c., pancreatic cancer, breast cancer, etc, etc.

let's also agree to disagree, byrdie. thanks for your comment about my mother.

That whatever disease/mental illness it is--has a name.

There are hundreds of viruses out there that doesn't have a name yet due to the fact that the technology isn't quite developed.

i don't understand your question.

Does that mean "Bob" is diagnosed with the specific mental illness back then? The doctor wrote down his symptoms at the time but the diagnosis did not exist back then. Or does that mean "Bob", if he still has the symptoms, is only diagnosed at the present time, since the diagnosis only exists now?

i'm of the opinion that one can't say whether or not mental illness is worse than another condition without having experienced it themselves or know someone who has. for those who disagree with me, that's fine.

Does that mean "Bob" is diagnosed with the specific mental illness back then? The doctor wrote down his symptoms at the time but the diagnosis did not exist back then. Or does that mean "Bob", if he still has the symptoms, is only diagnosed at the present time, since the diagnosis only exists now?

it means that bob is only diagnosed at the present time since his doctor didn't have any information (in the past) to diagnose him accordingly.

it means that bob is only diagnosed at the present time since his doctor didn't have any information (in the past) to diagnose him accordingly.

My question to you is, did Bob HAVE the illness back then if he is only diagnosed NOW?

I wonder what kind of information we are missing right now for those who aren't diagnosed accordingly at the present time...

shadow,

the website you listed referred to children and adolescents with bipolar disorder. i am neither one of the two. :laugh2:

My question to you is, did Bob HAVE the illness back then if he is only diagnosed NOW?

I wonder what kind of information we are missing right now for those who aren't diagnosed accordingly at the present time...

we can't conclude whether or not bob had the illness in question since there was no diagnostic criteria available at the time in order to make an accurate diagnosis.

that does not mean you had asperger's when you were born. you cannot have a disorder unless and until it is officially dx'ed by a medical professional.

I disagree with this statement. When her doctor's were denying Miss Kat's hearing loss, it didn't mean it wasn't there. She was still Deaf, she just didn't have their "seal of approval" yet.

Back