This hearing woman says that mental illness is a Myth - ASL video

we can't say for a fact whether or not this woman would deny or accept mental illness in her case or that of a loved one. i'm willing to bet though that she'd accept a diagnosis if she (or a relative of hers) were diagnosed with a serious mental illness. while it's possible that she could be in denial initially, sooner or later she will need to come to terms with the reality of such a situation.

Well it took mom years. Dad just failed to understand her problems.

that doesn't mean that everyone is in denial once they're diagnosed with mental illness. for many people, they suspect that they may have a mental disorder of some kind, see a psychiatrist for confirmation of their symptoms and are relieved to know that what they have actually has a name. i know that was definitely the case for me even though it took me a year to fully accept my diagnosis.

Of course not, but it does happen. My aunt Chantal spent her whole life going in and out of various Mental hospitals. My mom never liked her sister so she didn't want to associate with Chantal by thinking she also suffered from mental health issues (although to a lesser degree).

dreama,

we can't say one way or the other whether or not this woman would accept or deny mental illness -- although i still suspect that she would accept it if her diagnosis were serious.

some one point that lady to my family background, if mental illness isn't real then why did both my mom and brother blow their brains out and why is my moms sister currently in Bryce for her schizphrenia? I guess my aunt isn't mentally ill she just felt like trying to kill her own grandchildren for attention, she just said they were aliens coming to take her brain away so she could get people to laugh at her, If i ever met that woman in person I would "show" her mentally ill.... ok I got to go away now to my happy place.....

But Cognitive Behavioral Therapy might show you to take more control of that illness.

In some instances, yes, but CBT is not always the appropriate or most effective treatment for all individuals or all disorders.

Woohoo I must be completely out of wack. I have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress after my baby died) AND I have such bad panic attacks that I pass out. And it's all in my head.... yeah RIGHT LOL

I've tried so many times to 'think happy thoughts' to get rid of my anxiety disorder.... guess what.... it doesn't work

In some instances, yes, but CBT is not always the appropriate or most effective treatment for all individuals or all disorders.

i've tried cbt in the past, but it didn't help me. the only exception to this is when dealing with my rapid cycling. my tdoc takes a cbt approach to help me identify when i'm cycling.

The Diagnostics and Statistics Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is the standard by which autism spectrum disorders are diagnosed in the United States. Autism was not included as a separate diagnostic condition in the original release of the DSM in 1952. As of the most recent release of the DSM, the DSM-IV, there are five types of autism spectrum disorders specifically identified. The journey of autism in the DSM is useful in understanding the increased diagnostic rates of today.
The DSM-I

The DSM-I was originally released in 1952. Although autism was recognized as a unique condition as early as 1943, it was not included in the DSM. Instead, children who exhibited autistic-like symptoms were diagnosed under the schizophrenic reaction, childhood type label.
The DSM-II

The second release of the Diagnostics and Statistics Manual of Mental Disorders came in 1968. As with the first release, autism was not included as a separate diagnostic category. In Roy Richard Grinker’s book, Unstrange Minds, the DSM-II included the following language: “the condition may be manifested by autistic, atypical and withdrawn behavior.” Children exhibiting these behaviors were diagnosed as schizophrenic, childhood type.
The DSM-III

In 1980, the DSM-III was released and we finally see the inclusion of autism as a separate diagnostic category. At this point, there was only one autism designation and it was entitled infantile autism. There were only six characteristics listed and each of these six symptoms must be present in order for an individual to be diagnosed with infantile autism. Due to some controversy surrounding the descriptor infantile, this category was changed to autistic disorder in 1987.
The DSM-IV

The most recent complete release of the DSM, the DSM-IV, occurred in 1994. At this point, the category of pervasive developmental disorders and several subtypes were added. In addition to autistic disorder, a diagnosis could be made under the categories of Asperger’s Disorder, Rett’s Disorder, Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, and Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS).

Besides the inclusion of four new subtypes, drastic changes were made to the criteria that needed to be met in order to receive a diagnosis of autistic disorder. The current release of the DSM has a list of 16 different symptoms used to describe autistic disorder and a patient only needs to exhibit six of the 16 to receive the diagnosis. This is in stark contrast to the language used in the 1980 release of the DSM-III.

The DSM-V is currently in the works and there are large groups of individuals working on changing the language used to describe the various pervasive developmental disorders. Autism has evolved through the four releases of the DSM and it is only natural to expect that it will be refined even further in the DSM-V.
History of Autism in the DSM: Diagnostic Criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorders

One example. Diagnosis not now in DSM may be later. It is revised.

History of Autism in the DSM: Diagnostic Criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorders

One example. Diagnosis not now in DSM may be later. It is revised.

Thanks Shadow. That explains a lot. I was born in 1970 with asperger syndrome. So it seems asperger syndrome wasn't considered a 'real' problem whilst I was growing up which explains why I was often punished for things I couldn't help. Because a lot of people didn't understand what was wrong with me as they only knew about Kanner type autism (the typical type).

Personally the experience of someone who has a disorder is of more value to me then a professional. Especially in this case as professionals so often get it wrong. Especially since so many who get to make the decissions are Pro abortion.

PASS will be in a future list, I'm sure of it.

Personally the experience of someone who has a disorder is of more value to me then a professional. Especially in this case as professionals so often get it wrong. Especially since so many who get to make the decissions are Pro abortion.

please leave the definition and term to professionals. there's a reason why the term takes a long time to be officially recognized because it must be exhaustively debated, studied, and well-documented. If everything is run on "personal experience".... it would create a massive confusion and that creates a very high chance of misdiagnosis. You don't want that, don't you?

The only people that have anything wrong are the ones making up diagnoses to fit their own personal agenda. The experience of someone suffering from PASS does not exist as such, because the diagnosis of PASS does not exist.

please leave the definition and term to professionals. there's a reason why the term takes a long time to be officially recognized because it must be exhaustively debated, studied, and well-documented. If everything is run on "personal experience".... it would create a massive confusion and that creates a very high chance of misdiagnosis. You don't want that, don't you?

Evidently, she does, as she continues to promote the use of a non-diagnosis. There is a valid reason that diagnosis is only made by those with the educational and professional training to do so.

Thanks Shadow. That explains a lot. I was born in 1970 with asperger syndrome. So it seems asperger syndrome wasn't considered a 'real' problem whilst I was growing up which explains why I was often punished for things I couldn't help. Because a lot of people didn't understand what was wrong with me as they only knew about Kanner type autism (the typical type).

how can someone be born with asperger's syndrome? i thought asperger's was dx'ed during infancy or early childhood? jillio?

I can only hope one day BIID and PASS will also be put on the list just like Asperger syndrome was for me.

i don't for 2 reasons. 1. there is no need for them to be listed in the dsm since there are already categorizations for symptoms related to these "conditions" and 2. claiming that they are legitimate disorders is an insult to those of us who have mental illnesses that are currently listed in the dsm.

Mod's Note:

Let's get back on topic, shall we? Let's not get another thread hijacked. :)

As for the posts that were related to the PASS and BIID; These posts were removed because it bears no relation to this thread.

:ty:

Back