Changing a lightbulb can be very dangerous

speaking of dropping things from that height - wouldn't it be easier to just parachute off the top?

I didn't bring enough pairs of Fruit of the Looms for that! :lol:

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

I thought skydivers fall at 120 mph, not 160 mph? I guess the heavy ones with no resistance or something. :hmm:

No. It's the amount of air it displaces which is why when you tuck your arms and legs in you're reducing the surface area of your body and the amount of air resistance. You can have two heavy mass shaped like a ball of the same size. One weighs a thousand pound and ther other weighs 500 lb. Both will fall at the same speed/velocity from rest.

they're interchangeable for the average person. Both essentially means the same thing. If it's pure physics you want then it'd be better to say velocity.

speed and velocity are different in terms of physics.

Hmm, I suppose that's true.

Speed has to do with rate of change of distance over time.
Velocity has to do with rate of change of displacement over time.

At first drop in the first second the displacement is 32 feet.
At two seconds the displacement becomes 64 feet per second.
At three seconds the displacement becomes at 96 feet per second.
It gets larger with each second.

Hmm, I suppose that's true.

which is why I said speed or velocity because I included mph. Velocity is magnitude and direction. But I don't need to be picky here since we know we're talking about how fast that bolt would be going when it hits the ground.

which is why I said speed or velocity because I included mph. Velocity is magnitude and direction. But I don't need to be picky here since we know we're talking about how fast that bolt would be going when it hits the ground.

quoting Banjo's post twice to avoid me? :aw:

FYI - for falling object, it's not the acceleration or speed that kills you. It's the.... ?

it makes me dizzy just looking at the video. I feel like I'm there. Im sensitive to heights.

:lol: Koko, danged right, man!

Also, I was working on a bridge project. It was placed pretty high up on a chasm where a stream is far down below. Curious at how high I took a rock. Held it at rest. Dropped it. And counted...1001....1002... til I saw it hit the water. It took about 2.5 seconds. I figured it was at least 150 feet high. The correct measured height as I later found out was 157 feet.

It's force that would kill you.

F = Mass * acceleration.

:)

but yes and no. It's not the force that kills you. it's the sudden change in momentum. but in this case.. Force will kill you... which is why an anvil will kill you, not the bolt.

Back