Changing a lightbulb can be very dangerous

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

I think it has to do with resitance of the object in the air, weight and height that would cause damage to something on the ground.

I wonder if there are less oxygen on top of the tower. I dunno. Surely, they were having fun.

...Hey, somebody dropped a bolt nut from the sky like a speeding bullet.

No. Not that fast unless it's a bolt in outspace making it's re-entry into the earth atmosphere it'd be traveling faster than a speeding bullet. It'd burn up!

The tower is 1768 feet high. If you drop a bolt from that height the speed would reach 160 mph at the bottom. I don't think any hard hat would save you from that speeding bolt which would be 15 times less slower than a speeding bullet from an assault rifle. Even if it was dropped from 330 feet high (slightly longer than the length of a football field) it would reach 100 mph.

I think it has to do with resitance of the object in the air, weight and height that would cause damage to something on the ground.

I also think it has to do with increased acceleration the longer distance something falls.

No. Not that fast unless it's a bolt in outspace making it's re-entry into the earth atmosphere it'd be traveling faster than a speeding bullet. It'd burn up!

The tower is 1768 feet high. If you drop a bolt from that height the speed would reach 160 mph at the bottom. I don't think any hard hat would save you from that speeding bolt which would be 15 times less slower than a speeding bullet from an assault rifle. Even if it was dropped from 330 feet high (slightly longer than the length of a football field) it would reach 100 mph.

no, it won't happen. Accord to mythbuster, whatever small mass that fall on your head. You would said "ow!" without cut into hole there.

Yea, if an object has the areos, then it will fall faster than a object with no areos with the same weight. It has to cut thru the air to get more speed.

Caged ladder.... no prob

open ladder......scary but got the harness

foot pegs at 1700 feet......Pass....There was a tingle in my nuts just watching.

Yea, if an object has the areos, then it will fall faster than a object with no areos with the same weight. It has to cut thru the air to get more speed.

Yes, a marble ball would get to the ground before a sheet of paper would due to the air resistance.

However... if they were in a vacuum space, both would fall at the same speed.

It has to do with acceleration folks. Acceleration of Earth's gravity. The acceleration is 9.8 meters per second squared (s^2). Or 32 feet/s^2. Means that for the first second an object is dropped from rest it would travel at 32ft/s. At two seconds it would travel at 64ft/sec. At 3 seconds it would travel at a velocity or speed of 96ft/sec. At 4 seconds it would travel at 128 ft/sec. 5 seconds = 160ft/s. 6 = 192ft/second. 7 second at 224 ft/second. For the bolt example it would take a little more than 7 seconds to travel til it reaches the ground at speed of 236ft/second or 160 mph.

Funny. Dropping 6 feet would be the equivalent speed from dropping at 1768 feet? LOL. I can see physics isn't his strong point.

Yes, air resistance is a factor here. Which is why sky divers reach terminal velocity and cannot go any faster because of air resistance. Usually at around 160 mph but if they tuck in their arms and legs they can certainly go faster.

It has to do with acceleration folks. Acceleration of Earth's gravity. The acceleration is 9.8 meters per second squared (s^2). Or 32 feet/s^2. Means that for the first second an object is dropped from rest it would travel at 32ft/s. At two seconds it would travel at 64ft/sec. At 3 seconds it would travel at a velocity or speed of 96ft/sec. At 4 seconds it would travel at 128 ft/sec. 5 seconds = 160ft/s. 6 = 192ft/second. 7 second at 224 ft/second. For the bolt example it would take a little more than 7 seconds to travel til it reaches the ground at speed of 236ft/second or 160 mph.

Funny. Dropping 6 feet would be the equivalent speed from dropping at 1768 feet? LOL. I can see physics isn't his strong point.

Wouldn't the word, velocity be more accurate to use?

I thought skydivers fall at 120 mph, not 160 mph? I guess the heavy ones with no resistance or something. :hmm:

speaking of dropping things from that height - wouldn't it be easier to just parachute off the top?

Wouldn't the word, velocity be more accurate to use?

they're interchangeable for the average person. Both essentially means the same thing. If it's pure physics you want then it'd be better to say velocity.

penny coin won't kill you. bolt? none. Nail? if it point right there, ehhh maybe just like a pin. Ouch

they're interchangeable for the average person. Both essentially means the same thing. If it's pure physics you want then it'd be better to say velocity.

Hmm, I suppose that's true.

Back