Your Talents?

Jillio, if you're reading here - sounds like you've done a lot of kid things for your niece. What would you say is a good length for a child's scarf? I'm doing one for a 6 year old girl right this minute, a scaled-down version of one I did for her mom. Mom's is long enough to wrap around the neck and trail down, so it's about 65" inches. How long should the child's be? 50 inches, roughly?

When we lived in Missouri, I was always told to make the scarves to be one and a half times their height. That gives room for wrap-around and length. When my daughter was 6, she was 4 feet tall, so her scarf was 6 feet long.

No kitty sweaters coming?

Tinkerbell loves to lie down on the afghan and will roll herself up in it, but that's about as far as she will go. Sammy will not touch anything knitted.

So---no knitted kitty sweaters here.

Sunshine, hate (for the sake of your pocketbook) to tell you this, but there are some really good on-line sites for yarn-buying. Yarn.com is very good, and they ship to Canada. Wool-tyme.com is a Canadian-based company, so shipping costs likely to be less.

Have fun! Don't blame your overdrawn checking account on me!!

I will buy on line when it is a company I am familiar with or a yarn I know. I'm one of those people that likes to touch before I buy,though.:P

Tinkerbell loves to lie down on the afghan and will roll herself up in it, but that's about as far as she will go. Sammy will not touch anything knitted.

So---no knitted kitty sweaters here.

Yah, but do you have any idea how CUTE that would look? You could laugh at them and snap pictures, and THEN let them off the hook. ;)

Jillio, if you're reading here - sounds like you've done a lot of kid things for your niece. What would you say is a good length for a child's scarf? I'm doing one for a 6 year old girl right this minute, a scaled-down version of one I did for her mom. Mom's is long enough to wrap around the neck and trail down, so it's about 65" inches. How long should the child's be? 50 inches, roughly?

Yeah, I'd say 50' would be just about right, unless she is an exceptionally tall 6 year old. I just meansured one I had stuck back that was my son's, and it was 48". If I am not mistaken, he was in the first grade when I made this one, but he was a short guy!

Yah, but do you have any idea how CUTE that would look? You could laugh at them and snap pictures, and THEN let them off the hook. ;)

Have to find the picture of my old cat from childhood, Charlie, who was wearing a knitted jumper and knitted socks. He was one who never minded me dressing him up in doll clothes. Always a very patient and loving cat.

When our cat who died two years ago was young, the kids dressed him in a sweater the dog had outgrown. He absolutely loved it, and it was great as long as he was laying down, but he tipped over every time he tried to walk in it.

We must have been really bored, because we frequently put it on him, just to watch him try to walk. :lol:

My cat would scratch my eyes out if I even looked like I was going to dress him up!:P

When our cat who died two years ago was young, the kids dressed him in a sweater the dog had outgrown. He absolutely loved it, and it was great as long as he was laying down, but he tipped over every time he tried to walk in it.

We must have been really bored, because we frequently put it on him, just to watch him try to walk. :lol:

I love that sense of humor.:laugh2:

I remember as a kid I would get bored then I would put socks over the cats head then get a kick out of watching the cat run in reverse trying to get out of the sock. I remember doing this once and the cat ran in reverse into the kitchen and smashed into it's food and water bowl making a mess. My mom was also in there reading the newspaper and I remember her coming into the living room with a really pissed off look and motioned me into the kitchen to catch the cat and clean the mess up. I was in trouble and I knew it, but it was funny enough that I was laughing about it. Poor cat. Lol.

Maybe. Heck I might have asked what it was when I was a kid and they said 'cross-stitch' and I mistook it for 'crochet' if had seen the word afterward if I couldn't make out what was said. Oh well.

Maybe pics can help? Anyone? (sorry, I'm no good with the posting pics here as many of you are :D)

Ha!

I finished it instead of chatting on here (amazing how that helps progress!) and made it about 48". If that's too short to wrap around she can always tie it in an overlap in front, like an ascot.

I'll take pics and post. This is a mother-daughter set, a red hat and red scarf for each of them. The little girl LOVES to look like her mommy, so I think they'll both enjoy the goodies.

Oh no, I not very smart knitter. I can purl, knit, cable, fair isle, shape, but this about it.

Ha!

I finished it instead of chatting on here (amazing how that helps progress!) and made it about 48". If that's too short to wrap around she can always tie it in an overlap in front, like an ascot.

I'll take pics and post. This is a mother-daughter set, a red hat and red scarf for each of them. The little girl LOVES to look like her mommy, so I think they'll both enjoy the goodies.

I wanna see pics!!

Back