Your Talents?

Years ago. I hadn't thought of it, but I always had the Elmer's in the house due to home schooling and would buy it by the gallon at Sam's Club.

It is probably close to the same stuff.:P

Is it hard to learn how to knit? I've thought about getting into knitting scarves and shawls for cancer patients. I have two or three friends that do this in their free time.

It isn't hard, really, especially in the early stages where you're just doing straight knit and purl stitches. Then you'll learn yarn-overs and yarn-togethers (to make lace or other patterns). Again, not really hard, you just have to pay attention. As you increase in skill you can get more complicated or not, as you like.

I learned to knit when I was 13 and my mom signed up for a knitting class at Sears for herself, me, and my two younger sisters. I was the only one who really enjoyed it and stayed with it.

I taught myself to crochet about 10 years ago and now I do probably 90% crochet projects, 10% knit.

Advantages of crochet: it's much easier, the fabrics typically are denser (great for scarves and hats, particularly), and it is far, far easier to correct a mistake. You just rip it back to where you made the mistake and carry on.

Personally I think the stitch patterns are more fun to make; fans and shells and lace and picots and varying the length of stitches, and many other methods, all are ways of introducing texture and pattern into your work.

It's much easier to make lacy, decorative patterns in crochet vs. knitting.

Advantages of knitting: you use less yarn for a given project (crochet uses maybe 2 to 3 times as much, if it's a solid fabric), fabrics are typically tighter and smoother.

It is harder (for me, anyway) to correct a mistake in knitting because all the stitches are, well, knit together. You sometimes have to go a row below where the mistake shows up in order to get it right. And then you have to re-load the stitches onto the needle.

Crochet is also far easier on the hands than knitting. My left hand tends to cramp up while knitting; I have never have any problem while crocheting.

------------

General comments: if you're just learning, buy yourself an inexpensive skein of Super Saver or Lion Brand Wool-Ease or something similar and make yourself a scarf or a few baby hats or things like that. A sweater is a very difficult project for a beginner to make, because gauge will be crucial, you will probably have to join seams to make the sleeves and maybe the sides, neckline might be tricky, etc., etc. There's just a lot of fiddling around to do. And you'll want better yarn, which is an expensive way to get started.

Scarves and hats and shawls make better starter projects; you can finish something fairly quickly and be proud of it, and gauge doesn't matter much, and inexpensive yarns work just fine.

Also lap robes (small afghans). People LOVE to get those as presents; for the maker, it's not as much of a time and money commitment as a full afghan, and for the receiver, it doesn't take up much room in the recipient's home, and it's a cozy thing to have handy.

I used to be a part-time medical clerk in this medical firm when I was in high school, where I did filing, sorting, copying, etc. It was extremely boring and mind-numbing for me, but at least it made me some money. Of course, we all are different when it comes to a certain job.

I don't do well at jobs like this. I tend to daydream when doing things like this.

I'm good at fixing computers though I really don't enjoy it so much since that's what I do all day at work.

I love to make wine, but I am not really all that good at it just yet. The more I make, the better I get! *hick* excuse me! :giggle:

Wirelessly posted

I love to crochet! Was on a blanket project but never finished it. The weather is a bit hot for it here in Thailand though.

Love knitting! Closest store sell any wool 6 hours away. Boo. Every time I leave town, I stock up.

Sunshine, hate (for the sake of your pocketbook) to tell you this, but there are some really good on-line sites for yarn-buying. Yarn.com is very good, and they ship to Canada. Wool-tyme.com is a Canadian-based company, so shipping costs likely to be less.

Have fun! Don't blame your overdrawn checking account on me!!

I thought I go ahead bring out one book...since it's pretty fragile. This book was given by one of my good friend who is historian of underground railroad, abolishing the slavery. This book was believed owned by one of the slave parents who have deaf child and using this book as a guidiance to teach deaf child. Here's the pix below. I'm going to make it large so you can see the details of it.

amazing piece of history right there!

Sunshine, hate (for the sake of your pocketbook) to tell you this, but there are some really good on-line sites for yarn-buying. Yarn.com is very good, and they ship to Canada. Wool-tyme.com is a Canadian-based company, so shipping costs likely to be less.

Have fun! Don't blame your overdrawn checking account on me!!

Danger!!!!! :shock:

I could shake my butt 100 times in 30 seconds, now please feel free to name my talent.

I want see!

:wave:

When I do that, you better throw money on me like this;

350_751animated-obama-money.gif

I'm good at fixing computers though I really don't enjoy it so much since that's what I do all day at work.

I love to make wine, but I am not really all that good at it just yet. The more I make, the better I get! *hick* excuse me! :giggle:

You can give me all the wines you have experimented. I am sure I will enjoy them!

I have decided to take some interior designing classes over the summer and try to start a staging business with my friend on the side. She agreed. With the way teaching is going, it is becoming a burden more than a blessing. Just my honest opinion here.

It isn't hard, really, especially in the early stages where you're just doing straight knit and purl stitches. Then you'll learn yarn-overs and yarn-togethers (to make lace or other patterns). Again, not really hard, you just have to pay attention. As you increase in skill you can get more complicated or not, as you like.

I learned to knit when I was 13 and my mom signed up for a knitting class at Sears for herself, me, and my two younger sisters. I was the only one who really enjoyed it and stayed with it.

I taught myself to crochet about 10 years ago and now I do probably 90% crochet projects, 10% knit.

Advantages of crochet: it's much easier, the fabrics typically are denser (great for scarves and hats, particularly), and it is far, far easier to correct a mistake. You just rip it back to where you made the mistake and carry on.

Personally I think the stitch patterns are more fun to make; fans and shells and lace and picots and varying the length of stitches, and many other methods, all are ways of introducing texture and pattern into your work.

It's much easier to make lacy, decorative patterns in crochet vs. knitting.

Advantages of knitting: you use less yarn for a given project (crochet uses maybe 2 to 3 times as much, if it's a solid fabric), fabrics are typically tighter and smoother.

It is harder (for me, anyway) to correct a mistake in knitting because all the stitches are, well, knit together. You sometimes have to go a row below where the mistake shows up in order to get it right. And then you have to re-load the stitches onto the needle.

Crochet is also far easier on the hands than knitting. My left hand tends to cramp up while knitting; I have never have any problem while crocheting.

------------

General comments: if you're just learning, buy yourself an inexpensive skein of Super Saver or Lion Brand Wool-Ease or something similar and make yourself a scarf or a few baby hats or things like that. A sweater is a very difficult project for a beginner to make, because gauge will be crucial, you will probably have to join seams to make the sleeves and maybe the sides, neckline might be tricky, etc., etc. There's just a lot of fiddling around to do. And you'll want better yarn, which is an expensive way to get started.

Scarves and hats and shawls make better starter projects; you can finish something fairly quickly and be proud of it, and gauge doesn't matter much, and inexpensive yarns work just fine.

Also lap robes (small afghans). People LOVE to get those as presents; for the maker, it's not as much of a time and money commitment as a full afghan, and for the receiver, it doesn't take up much room in the recipient's home, and it's a cozy thing to have handy.

Well, I will try to get to Russvegas this weekend and go to Hobby Lobby to see if they have what has been suggested to me. I have no idea what I am doing, I can't even sew, but I suppose someone has to start somewhere, right?

Also, what is the main difference between knitting and crocheting? When I think of crocheting, I think of those hoop things where my grandmother used to stretch out the fabric and make home made table runners. Am I thinking of the wrong thing?

Crochet used a single hook. Knitting uses a pair of needles. Perhaps you are thinking of needlepoint or cross-stitch?

Crochet used a single hook. Knitting uses a pair of needles. Perhaps you are thinking of needlepoint or cross-stitch?

Maybe. Heck I might have asked what it was when I was a kid and they said 'cross-stitch' and I mistook it for 'crochet' if had seen the word afterward if I couldn't make out what was said. Oh well.

Back