Your Talents?

Is it hard to learn how to knit? I've thought about getting into knitting scarves and shawls for cancer patients. I have two or three friends that do this in their free time.

I taught myself from a book when I was a teen. Haven't knitted much since then, but no, it's not hard... and it's so portable!

I've seen those scarf knitting kits at Walmart that come with all the supplies needed to get you started. Are those even worth it or should I go to some place like Hobby Lobby to get better quality stuff that can also get me started?

I've seen those scarf knitting kits at Walmart that come with all the supplies needed to get you started. Are those even worth it or should I go to some place like Hobby Lobby to get better quality stuff that can also get me started?

They can be worth it, if you can learn from a book. I learn better with hands-on and need someone there to guide me. Luckily my mother taught me years ago.

Is it hard to learn how to knit? I've thought about getting into knitting scarves and shawls for cancer patients. I have two or three friends that do this in their free time.

I learned the summer between my 2nd and 3rd grades. A neighbor taught me. My mom crocheted and sewed (made most of my clothes!) but she didn't knit. I have taught all my nieces and my son to knit, and did an afterschool class for kids at my son's school. They all picked up on it really quickly.

That would be a wonderful thing to do, Dixie. Back when I had more time, I used to do hats for the preemies and donate them to the local hospital. Great way to use up yarn left over from other projects.

I'd say check the kits at Hobby Lobby. Their quality of yarn is better.

I learned the summer between my 2nd and 3rd grades. A neighbor taught me. My mom crocheted and sewed (made most of my clothes!) but she didn't knit. I have taught all my nieces and my son to knit, and did an afterschool class for kids at my son's school. They all picked up on it really quickly.

That would be a wonderful thing to do, Dixie. Back when I had more time, I used to do hats for the preemies and donate them to the local hospital. Great way to use up yarn left over from other projects.

I have a friend of mine who is a vet and she and her mom both knit little hats for all the newborns in our church as well as donating extras to ACH for preemies. Those little hats look pretty darn cute! I'll have to get a pic next time I see her with one which shouldn't be long as I think we have one or two pregnant ladies at the moment. :giggle:

I think the nearest Hobby Lobby is about 2 hours from me so I will just settle for Micheal's.

Like Michael's too, but Hobby Lobby is like 5 minutes away. One of my nephews gives me a gift card every year for Christmas....he says so I can get started on Christmas presents for the next year!:giggle:

Like Michael's too, but Hobby Lobby is like 5 minutes away. One of my nephews gives me a gift card every year for Christmas....he says so I can get started on Christmas presents for the next year!:giggle:

My Micheal's is five mintues away. Not going to spend two hours driving to a town I don't know to buy some knitting needles and yarn.

Hobby Lobby is closer to me than Micheal's. Micheal's is in Ft. Smith, Hobby Lobby is in Russellville which is 45 mins to an hour from here, depending on traffic.

Love knitting! Closest store sell any wool 6 hours away. Boo. Every time I leave town, I stock up.

So basically everybody in this thread is great in some form of art. Art is so easy ^_^ :P :P

I think I have two or three talents. I used to assembled objects putting together. I also used to do jigsaw puzzles years ago when I was not watching T.V. much. I just love putting things together, only problem is that I don't want to work in the factory assembly line. :ugh: Not my thing. Just a hobby. I stopped doing the jigsaw puzzles as I don't have a large room or basement (I have a crawl space). My house is small for my husband and myself. I still kept some of the jigsaw puzzles for future when I find a space for me to do jigsaw puzzles. That would be great. At least I don't have to spend too much time on the computer. :lol:

Also I love to type way too much. I want to work in the office setting like filing, sorting, make copies, stamping, and other things around office. That is my thing.

I also do easy crossword puzzles when I was doing the taxi for people who don't have a car on the reservation (Rez). They usually made me wait for them so I took my crossword puzzles to pass the time while I waited. Not my thing. :roll:

I used to be a part-time medical clerk in this medical firm when I was in high school, where I did filing, sorting, copying, etc. It was extremely boring and mind-numbing for me, but at least it made me some money. Of course, we all are different when it comes to a certain job.

Daughter and I love to do puzzles as well. If it's something we really like, then I use a slightly watered down Elmer's glue over the back and then again on the front. I have one beautiful rain forest type with underwater and also the forest. We added silver glitter to the glue for the water area and also made the effects of water droplets in the forested area. Son has a dragon that we did and I took some glow-in-the-dark paint and did a think line around the dragon and also over the body for details and man is it wonderful.

Daughter and I love to do puzzles as well. If it's something we really like, then I use a slightly watered down Elmer's glue over the back and then again on the front. I have one beautiful rain forest type with underwater and also the forest. We added silver glitter to the glue for the water area and also made the effects of water droplets in the forested area. Son has a dragon that we did and I took some glow-in-the-dark paint and did a think line around the dragon and also over the body for details and man is it wonderful.

Have you ever used Modge Podge?

Have you ever used Modge Podge?

Years ago. I hadn't thought of it, but I always had the Elmer's in the house due to home schooling and would buy it by the gallon at Sam's Club.

Back