My Jeep got a boo-boo today :(

No, not my side mirror--my side window.
oops. thanks for correcting me. yes that's what I meant.

Probably. We have a very busy, debris covered, interstate highway. We've had to dodge bouncing recliner chairs, flying ladders, huge strips of semi truck tires, etc.
I pray that isn't on weekly basis... I have seen what you just said in my life but thankfully... it's once in a while because the commercial trucks are not allowed on interstates I drive on.

Yeah. Sometimes they drop bricks and cinder blocks from the overpass. It's awful.
:mad2: majority of our bridges and overpasses have long fences to prevent that.

Wirelessly posted

Reba, What highway in SC did you have the incident on? I never have seen the kind of huge debris you describe on I-85 or I-26 (Upstate). I have a strong feelling you either had a window showing unobvious fractures or an intentional projectile was used. It would take NASCAR speeds for a stone out of the pavement to blow out a window in good condition. The main thing is you were not hurt from glass with the potential to disperse as shrapnel. Take care! :hug:

Last edited:
I was driving home from an assignment today in my Jeep Cherokee. I was on the far right of the three lanes on the interstate, driving about 65 mph. Suddenly, my driver-side window exploded! I slowed down, and pulled off the road, to the shoulder. I called the highway patrol. While I was waiting for them (over an hour), I took some photos with my BlackBerry.

I didn't want to move around much because I could feel the glass pieces down my back, and under my butt. Each time a big semi whizzed by more glass pieces blew in on me. It was pretty cold and breezy in my car without the window.

After I got home, I kept finding more pieces of glass in my car. I took everything out so I can shake out the glass. I'm still finding shards in my clothing.

I'm supposed to get it replaced tomorrow.

sounds like your window may had a crack in the first place and scattered while driving. or a rock hit it.

I'm glad windows scatter like that for safety precaution. Otherwise they would be like sharp glass

I checked. No exit "wounds" to my car, and no spent bullet lying around inside. Of course, a BB shot would be harder to find.

I don't know. No pieces of brick or concrete or asphalt, and no damage to the exterior body of the car. :dunno:

on a last day of school, My friend and I were sitting on a bus on our way home, and suddenly the window cracked and someone say there was a person using a BB gun from the driveway (he usually ride our bus, but only this time, he was already home waiting for the bus to use his BB gun. He had a friend with him) . It was the window front of us. It was a close call because If this guy shot it within a split seconds later, My friend who was sitting next to the window would had her brain shot. It was extremely dangerous. He got suspended from school that following year because of that.

Reba, What highway in SC did you have the incident on?
I-26, westbound from Charleston towards Columbia.

I have a strong feelling you either had a window showing unobvious fractures or an intentional projectile was used. It would take NASCAR speeds for a stone out of the pavement to blow out a window in good condition. The main thing is you were not hurt from glass with the potential to disperse as shrapnel. Take care! :hug:
My window was in fine shape. Traffic is in the 65-75 mph range.

Hubby says it probably was a stone in a semi's tire that got shot out of it at an angle. They can be pretty powerful.

sounds like your window may had a crack in the first place and scattered while driving. or a rock hit it.

I'm glad windows scatter like that for safety precaution. Otherwise they would be like sharp glass
No, no cracks or chips in the window.

on a last day of school, My friend and I were sitting on a bus on our way home, and suddenly the window cracked and someone say there was a person using a BB gun from the driveway (he usually ride our bus, but only this time, he was already home waiting for the bus to use his BB gun. He had a friend with him) . It was the window front of us. It was a close call because If this guy shot it within a split seconds later, My friend who was sitting next to the window would had her brain shot. It was extremely dangerous. He got suspended from school that following year because of that.
That was scary! I'm glad your friend didn't get hurt.

Update on the window?
The guys from the glass company came yesterday afternoon and took the door apart. But the window in the box was the wrong model! So they have to order another one, and hope that it arrives today so they can put it in this afternoon (Wednesday).

I will use Hubby's Jeep for work today.

The guys from the glass company came yesterday afternoon and took the door apart. But the window in the box was the wrong model! So they have to order another one, and hope that it arrives today so they can put it in this afternoon (Wednesday).

Damn it! wrong part.

aw dang.

Good news! The window is now fixed! :lol:

Good news! The window is now fixed! :lol:

lol! that was fast. gogogogogogo and pick up your darling :wave:

quick question - the whole expense is paid by your insurance, right?

lol! that was fast. gogogogogogo and pick up your darling :wave:

quick question - the whole expense is paid by your insurance, right?
The whole cost, 100 percent, was paid by my insurance. Also, it will not increase my premiums. That is South Carolina law.

The whole cost, 100 percent, was paid by my insurance. Also, it will not increase my premiums. That is South Carolina law.

very nice. I have to look into this for NJ but I don't have my own car yet. and I'll have to check and read various car insurance companies' policy. My initial research is showing a bunch of unreliable, mixed answers :dizzy:

The only good part is that NJ has made it a law that drivers must clear the snow/ice off their vehicle roof. So that means... that legal statute may exempt me from premium hike if my windshield got damaged by ice/snow from other vehicle.

very nice. I have to look into this for NJ but I don't have my own car yet. and I'll have to check and read various car insurance companies' policy. My initial research is showing a bunch of unreliable, mixed answers :dizzy:

The only good part is that NJ has made it a law that drivers must clear the snow/ice off their vehicle roof. So that means... that legal statute may exempt me from premium hike if my windshield got damaged by ice/snow from other vehicle.
I don't know. The law may be unique to South Carolina. :dunno:

An interesting side note. On my way home from work today, I drove the same route. On the side of the highway, close to where I was Monday, there was another car pulled over. The front windshield on that car was severely cracked.

I don't know. The law may be unique to South Carolina. :dunno:

An interesting side note. On my way home from work today, I drove the same route. On the side of the highway, close to where I was Monday, there was another car pulled over. The front windshield on that car was severely cracked.

:-o wow.... I'm hoping it's not a prank like some kid with air rifle or slingshot. Is there construction activity going on on that highway?

Back