My Jeep got a boo-boo today :(

I was driving home from an assignment today in my Jeep Cherokee. I was on the far right of the three lanes on the interstate, driving about 65 mph. Suddenly, my driver-side window exploded! I slowed down, and pulled off the road, to the shoulder. I called the highway patrol. While I was waiting for them (over an hour), I took some photos with my BlackBerry.

I didn't want to move around much because I could feel the glass pieces down my back, and under my butt. Each time a big semi whizzed by more glass pieces blew in on me. It was pretty cold and breezy in my car without the window.

After I got home, I kept finding more pieces of glass in my car. I took everything out so I can shake out the glass. I'm still finding shards in my clothing.

I'm supposed to get it replaced tomorrow.

Wow.

My side window also blew like that. After a year I still find glass.

My CR-V s window was damaged last two years when my GPS was stolen.

I had discussed with my agent of my auto insurance. Comprehensive deductible on my car is $250. I spoked with Auto Glass Repair service and it would cost $293 + tax to repair. I think that I probably not submit the claim and just handle the repair on your own. This maintain the claims-free discount on your auto policy. Also, Garmin GPS unit was not covered by my auto insurance, unfortunately. I m not worth about my insurance. I paid for for glass repair expense.
In SC, the insurance companies are not allowed to raise premiums for windshield claims.

I'm sorry your Garmin was stolen. :(

Maybe it was a sniper? I am glad you are okay, Reba, but for your own sake just be nice to everybody, okay?

I thought about that just for a second and then dismissed it because it was the driver's window that got shattered and if it was a bullet, well, you know.....there'd have been another blown out window, too. :D

wwwhhooooooa reba!! thanks God you are ok! yea it's most likely some debris on the road but wow... strong enough to shatter your side mirror??? It is very hard to hit break the mirror... hard enough to break your hand but if you hit the center with pointy object.... it's easy.

I'm guessing a truck or a vehicle ran over some object that flung it toward your window. I saw in video while back that when a truck gets a flat at high-speed.... the tire disintegrated so rapidly that it can fling a large strip of tire strong enough to decapitate the driver behind... even thru windshield :ugh:

I'm really hoping it's not some punk kid with a slingshot.... I've heard of incidents where some punks used slingshot or paintball gun from their car when passing a vehicle :mad2:

In SC, the insurance companies are not allowed to raise premiums for windshield claims.

I'm sorry your Garmin was stolen. :(

No problem. You will ask estimate your auto glass price in some auto glass shop. I hope that it s cheap price.

I thought about that just for a second and then dismissed it because it was the driver's window that got shattered and if it was a bullet, well, you know.....there'd have been another blown out window, too. :D
I checked. No exit "wounds" to my car, and no spent bullet lying around inside. Of course, a BB shot would be harder to find.

I don't know. No pieces of brick or concrete or asphalt, and no damage to the exterior body of the car. :dunno:

Wow, Hard to believe.

Time to install window film for next time. The window won't glass pieces over you since the window film can hold crack window.

yep. 3M makes it for cars. Military choppers use same concept in Iraq and Afghanistan too cuz of sand blast... it was a whole lot cheaper than replacing whole windshield.

more info about what I just talked about - blackhawk windshield Iraq film - Google Search

wwwhhooooooa reba!! thanks God you are ok! yea it's most likely some debris on the road but wow... strong enough to shatter your side mirror??? It is very hard to hit break the mirror... hard enough to break your hand but if you hit the center with pointy object.... it's easy.
No, not my side mirror--my side window.

I'm guessing a truck or a vehicle ran over some object that flung it toward your window. I saw in video while back that when a truck gets a flat at high-speed.... the tire disintegrated so rapidly that it can fling a large strip of tire strong enough to decapitate the driver behind... even thru windshield :ugh:
Probably. We have a very busy, debris covered, interstate highway. We've had to dodge bouncing recliner chairs, flying ladders, huge strips of semi truck tires, etc.

I'm really hoping it's not some punk kid with a slingshot.... I've heard of incidents where some punks used slingshot or paintball gun from their car when passing a vehicle :mad2:
Yeah. Sometimes they drop bricks and cinder blocks from the overpass. It's awful.

No problem. You will ask estimate your auto glass price in some auto glass shop. I hope that it s cheap price.
We called our usual auto glass repair shop. They know us well. :)

yep. 3M makes it for cars. Military choppers use same concept in Iraq and Afghanistan too cuz of sand blast... it was a whole lot cheaper than replacing whole windshield.

more info about what I just talked about - blackhawk windshield Iraq film - Google Search
Race cars use the removable sheets for their windshields. I thin I need that. My front windshield looks sand blasted, not to mention the one chip (like a bullet hole), and one small "star". It looks bad but not ready to replace yet. Hubby had two windshields replaced on his Jeep and one on his van just this year.

My daughter's car, only two-years old, has had the windshield replaced twice.

Last week while I was sitting in my Jeep at the college parking lot (between assignments), two near-by cars got their windshields replaced.

Windshield replacement is a thriving business here. :lol:

It depends on Insurance companies, how much they pay out would result insurance go up. Generally breaking window replacement cost is notmuch to them so won't increase the premium Mine I think have to hit $2k in damages before they will kick premium up.

There goes your insurance premium! :( Even though it is no fault of yours. Filing a claim will cause your insurance to go up.

Sheeesh, glad you are alright.

It sounded scary! I also have my monent too. My pu truck had their hood pop up while I was driving 60MPH and it was loud and cracked front windsheld. I was able to manage to safety. I eventually junked my pu truck... long story.

Sheeesh, glad you are alright.

It sounded scary! I also have my monent too. My pu truck had their hood pop up while I was driving 60MPH and it was loud and cracked front windsheld. I was able to manage to safety. I eventually junked my pu truck... long story.
Wow! :shock: That's truly a frightening experience!

Wow, glad you are OK.

I had something similar happen to me once. Going south on I-5 south of Tacoma, WA and my driver side mirror exploded. It was summer and my window was rolled down. I kept finding pieces of bottle glass in my truck after that, so I know it was thrown by someone in the northbound lane. I'm just glad that it hit the mirror and not me. I was going 65 and it would have been bad news if it nailed me.

Wow, glad you are OK.

I had something similar happen to me once. Going south on I-5 south of Tacoma, WA and my driver side mirror exploded. It was summer and my window was rolled down. I kept finding pieces of bottle glass in my truck after that, so I know it was thrown by someone in the northbound lane. I'm just glad that it hit the mirror and not me. I was going 65 and it would have been bad news if it nailed me.
Wow, such a good thing that the bottle didn't hit your head. What is wrong with people who do such things?

Wow, such a good thing that the bottle didn't hit your head. What is wrong with people who do such things?
Good question. They don't think about the consequences. Scary to think about.

I'm glad you're alright, that was a mystery on what happened for sure.

Back