Let's hit this off...

What I've seen is alot of successul professionals who grew up ASL/English (and possibility spoken English too). Like ascdeaf.com

I would love to see more.

I know successful ASL-English users, successful spoken language users AND I know people with very poor language and literacy who grew up oral and others on SSDI and have poor literacy who grew up with ASL.

The vast majority of deaf and HOH I encounter were raised and believe in what's pretty negatively called an 'oral deaf' education, many without ASL.

On this online forum, the dynamic is shifted heavily the other way, with a focus on ASL and a strong antipathy towards those who choose CIs.

I listen to the deaf. All deaf, not just those here online at Alldeaf whom many deaf elsewhere describe as extremists, not representative of the very broad and heterogeneous deaf community around the world. If I were to swing with the majority deaf perspective, I wouldn't be taking the bi-bi educational and language approach I am taking with my daughter, we wouldn't have embarked on ASL as her first language. So, you see, I listen and synthesize, and then I make my own decision based on what works for my daughter. Not based on what fits with some stranger's principles.

So, if you find that we're disagreeing, don't accuse me of not listening to the deaf. I may be doing exactly that -- whether it's my daughter's needs or the cumulative wisdom of the deaf community outside these blue boxes. This place has a valid perspective, but it doesn't represent the majority deaf view.

The vast majority of deaf and HOH I encounter were raised and believe in what's pretty negatively called an 'oral deaf' education, many without ASL.

On this online forum, the dynamic is shifted heavily the other way, with a focus on ASL and a strong antipathy towards those who choose CIs.

I listen to the deaf. All deaf, not just those here online at Alldeaf whom many deaf elsewhere describe as extremists, not representative of the very broad and heterogeneous deaf community around the world. If I were to swing with the majority deaf perspective, I wouldn't be taking the bi-bi educational and language approach I am taking with my daughter, we wouldn't have embarked on ASL as her first language. So, you see, I listen and synthesize, and then I make my own decision based on what works for my daughter. Not based on what fits with some stranger's principles.

So, if you find that we're disagreeing, don't accuse me of not listening to the deaf. I may be doing exactly that -- whether it's my daughter's needs or the cumulative wisdom of the deaf community outside these blue boxes. This place has a valid perspective, but it doesn't represent the majority deaf view.

To be perfectly frank -- Not that many "extremists" here.. There is one, and I chose to counter that.

To be perfectly frank -- Not that many "extremists" here.. There is one, and I chose to counter that.

Are these people calling us extremists because we choose to dictate our thoughts in a mode they can comprehend on a platform that has virtually no privacy?

There's a lot more nastier stuff in spoken vlogs, signed vblogs, on Facebook and "behind the scene" discussions at oral seminars; oral as in the mode, not the philosophy.

Are these people calling us extremists because we choose to dictate our thoughts in a mode they can comprehend on a platform that has virtually no privacy?

There's a lot more nastier stuff in spoken vlogs, signed vblogs, on Facebook and "behind the scene" discussions at oral seminars; oral as in the mode, not the philosophy.

Thats what I was thinking... It's pretty mild here.

And before FJ shoots off about signed seminars harbouring extremists as largely the ones I attend tend to be biological or anthropological in nature.... I haven't found a seminar I am interested in that is ASL-inclusive, so I am a "n00b' in that manner. So I am not purposely excluding them, as I am not a witness to these matters.

Faire Jour -- No answer to my question.... mmm :)

I had responded but I wanted to let Grendel's comment stand.

Why are they on SSDI? Because they don't have jobs.... I know of one family in which the grandmother, father and grandchild are all Deaf and neither adult works and they collect SSDI for all three people.

I had responded but I wanted to let Grendel's comment stand.

Why are they on SSDI? Because they don't have jobs.... I know of one family in which the grandmother, father and grandchild are all Deaf and neither adult works and they collect SSDI for all three people.

Why can't they have jobs?

no.

bingo. All the money spent on speech therapists, audiologists, hearing scientists, etc.... it can be better spent on more qualified teachers for deaf students because in the end - the deaf students will become productive citizens. Look at the result right now.... is it helping?

Oh really? It's the attitude and not the funding? really? That's a very nice optimism you have there like Jaime Escalante (from "Stand and Deliver" movie - true story) but I wonder if you would still have that optimism if you have a mountain of bills to pay... living a "overworked, underpaid" lifestyle. I wonder how long will you last with that kind of lifestyle.

look at shel and deafbagajal, for example... they're both deaf teachers for deaf schools. Both went beyond the call of duty to help the deaf kids who fell far behind from peers. They do not get a bonus nor extra pay nor a congratulatory award for it.

Teacher job's never easy - both hearing and deaf. I have dozens of friends who are elementary/high school teachers. They do not really get to relax once they get home. They have to do schedule planning and/or homework/test grading. They're knocked out by 9-10pm... wake up at around 5am. Hard life, eh?

In bold, yup, you are right about it and I almost forgot about this. I had been in class with couple of lazy deaf teachers before when I was teen and it wasn't good at all.

For this thread, I found this article that PFH posted is interesting and still thinking about going to say.

I have met thousands of deaf people from all different backgrounds and all of them cherish having ASL in their lives whether they have had it since birth or learned it later.

Yes, I have met deaf people who said that they wish they could speak English in its spoken form but not one who have said they wished they never had ASL.

I have met way too many who are like me..wish that they had ASL growing up instead of being constantly frustrated, exhausted, isolated, and left out.

no.

bingo. All the money spent on speech therapists, audiologists, hearing scientists, etc.... it can be better spent on more qualified teachers for deaf students because in the end - the deaf students will become productive citizens. Look at the result right now.... is it helping?

Oh really? It's the attitude and not the funding? really? That's a very nice optimism you have there like Jaime Escalante (from "Stand and Deliver" movie - true story) but I wonder if you would still have that optimism if you have a mountain of bills to pay... living a "overworked, underpaid" lifestyle. I wonder how long will you last with that kind of lifestyle.

look at shel and deafbagajal, for example... they're both deaf teachers for deaf schools. Both went beyond the call of duty to help the deaf kids who fell far behind from peers. They do not get a bonus nor extra pay nor a congratulatory award for it.

Teacher job's never easy - both hearing and deaf. I have dozens of friends who are elementary/high school teachers. They do not really get to relax once they get home. They have to do schedule planning and/or homework/test grading. They're knocked out by 9-10pm... wake up at around 5am. Hard life, eh?

Thank you...it is not easy and the money really sucks big time. However, I feel a sense of purpose at work and I love that feeling. Just wish there was more support from the public instead of being constantly criticized and belittled. :hug: That's all we need..just words of encouragement and acknowledge for our hard work.

I have met thousands of deaf people from all different backgrounds and all of them cherish having ASL in their lives whether they have had it since birth or learned it later.

Yes, I have met deaf people who said that they wish they could speak English in its spoken form but not one who have said they wished they never had ASL.

I have met way too many who are like me..wish that they had ASL growing up instead of being constantly frustrated, exhausted, isolated, and left out.

I have met those deaf people too. I have also met plenty who don't know ASL, and don't care to learn it. I have even met a few who know ASL, but don't use it.

Same here. I don't know of a single one that wishes they didn't know or use ASL. But to each his or her own, I suppose.

It was very handy to have ASL for school (interpreters). I wish you had too, Shel. I just wish I was not mainstreamed in a school of 2,000 kids and no one to converse in ASL, so I was left out and bullied.

I have met those deaf people too. I have also met plenty who don't know ASL, and don't care to learn it. I have even met a few who know ASL, but don't use it.

Are you sure you are not getting mixed up with people who wished they learned spoken language?

Back