Let's hit this off...

But it's a thought if everyone knew ASL.... at least 95% of these costs will go away..

but nooooooo......

$65,000 (per year for tuition and transportation)
* 15 (years from Prek through 12th grade)
________
$975,000 (for my daughter's ASL-focused education alone)

Way too much personal opinion. So what's the point? fight the power?

I "like" how they make the statement of 100,000 people @ 60k for a 6 Billion figure as a method of being convincing.

Personally I think a challenge deaf can stand up to the stereotypes is to take those positions through cumulative college courses that allow for applications into the medical or psychological fields pertaining. It's likely what got some of the hearing into those fields, like for example MD John House to specialize in what he does. Be your own scientist than someone to do it for you.

I've noticed from personal speculation that relatively few deafs specialize in the natural, applied, and chemical science sectors. It seems there is a higher prevalence with humanities and liberal arts fields.

Naisho, I agree with the bolded statement here. Most of my deaf peers I've grown up with are more towards humanities and liberal arts fields, but of those few who are in science/tech fields, most are in either computer science or engineering, and one in biology. I've been thinking about outreaching to young deaf students in Boston area as their sort of mentor and encourage them to pursue STEM and higher education. My friends and I are working on this project to make it happen.

As for this point of the article, it seems to send out a message about making us aware of this phenomenon called Galludet Syndrome Express. PFH, are there any subsequent articles about this phenomenon?

Naisho, I agree with the bolded statement here. Most of my deaf peers I've grown up with are more towards humanities and liberal arts fields, but of those few who are in science/tech fields, most are in either computer science or engineering, and one in biology. I've been thinking about outreaching to young deaf students in Boston area as their sort of mentor and encourage them to pursue STEM and higher education. My friends and I are working on this project to make it happen.

As for this point of the article, it seems to send out a message about making us aware of this phenomenon called Galludet Syndrome Express. PFH, are there any subsequence articles about this phenomenon?
its the 2nd article, the first one is 1

And the majority of deaf people dont usually end up making that much money in those fields. Guess we are suckers.

I don't really see a problem with the "high cost" complaint. Practically every person has some kind of physical disability (could even be something like higher risk of a disease due to genetic factors) that imposes a higher cost on society compared to if they didn't have it.

It's perfectly acceptable to spend money on this IMO.

I don't really see a problem with the "high cost" complaint. Practically every person has some kind of physical disability (could even be something like higher risk of a disease due to genetic factors) that imposes a higher cost on society compared to if they didn't have it.

You're also saying it's perfectly acceptable to be taken advantage of?

The problem is that many deaf people arent being given the opportunities from all that money being spent to achieve monetary success and end up relying on the government. The biggest reason for that...many of them end up with no access to language during their critical years of language formation or placed in educational programs where they dont have full access to learning liek their hearing counterparts do.

As a result, people blame them for low literacy skills instead of taking a good look at the system. Those are the ones who were screwed by the system that PFH speaks of.

The problem is that many deaf people arent being given the opportunities from all that money being spent to achieve monetary success and end up relying on the government. The biggest reason for that...many of them end up with no access to language during their critical years of language formation or placed in educational programs where they dont have full access to learning liek their hearing counterparts do.

As a result, people blame them for low literacy skills instead of taking a good look at the system. Those are the ones who were screwed by the system that PFH speaks of.

I think this is more of a problem with people "slipping through the cracks" of the education system. Actually I would support putting more money into primary education if it would help fix this. That system has its share of hangups that make this easier said than done though.

I think this is more of a problem with people "slipping through the cracks" of the education system. Actually I would support putting more money into primary education if it would help fix this. That system has its share of hangups that make this easier said than done though.

Why not take some of the money being spent on all of the other stuff that PFH mentioned and put it into making Deaf education better? I think that is the point PFH is trying to make.

Why not take some of the money being spent on all of the other stuff that PFH mentioned and put it into making Deaf education better? I think that is the point PFH is trying to make.

Because there are plenty of people who like their hearing devices and deserve to have the right to see an audiologist.

A lot of that stuff is necessary though. Audiologists/CI surgery has had an overall positive effect on my life.

:) Tell me how to fix the 65% unemployment rate and 70% attrition rate amongst the deaf then...

70% is not just Slipping through the cracks. That 70% is on the top of these who didnt finish school.

How do you propose to do this? I have an impression PFH seems to want to make ASL mandatory for all deafies.

Hire more qualified teachers? Better school facility? Etc? Are the teachers themselves qualified enough to teach students?

How can we encourage and nurture the children's ambitions and drive that can serve them later in life? Those things aren't easy to use money on. It's the attitudes amongst the parents, teachers, government, and society, not a matter of funding.

:) Tell me how to fix the 65% unemployment rate and 70% attrition rate amongst the deaf then...

70% is not just Slipping through the cracks. That 70% is on the top of these who didnt finish school.

Like yourself, PFH who never finished college. Maybe you want to go back to school and set an example for the younger generation of deafies? :P

Very poorly written article. First off, I highly doubt there are 100,000 audiologists/SLP in this country. For example, there are only 10,000 members in the American Academy of Audiologists. Now, certainly there are many who slip through the cracks, but this "conservative estimate" is very speculative. For me, that creates a big problem with the writers' ethos. If they can't even take the time to research a hard number, why should I believe the rest of what they?

Second, there is really no logically inductive argument being made here. The authors do not make a claim or warrant and back them up with sound reasoning. Rather, I just see speculation and implied argumentation, which is not effective. If you got something to say, say it, and say it effectively.

Even if I agree that the deaf/hoh are exploited in this country, I think this was a poorly done article. Ryan Commerson impressed me with his "Redefining DEAF" video (though some of the references to philosophers and social theorists like Foucalt were appropriated at best, and misinterpreted at worse), but this is lousy.

Edit:

According to this link, there were 11,000 audiologists in the US in 2002: http://www.medicalcareerinfo.com/audiologist.htm

According to this link, there are 110,000 Speech and language pathologists. But you have to remember, that the vast majority of SLPs work with mainstream students or patients who have speech impediments unrelated to hearing loss: http://careerplanning.about.com/od/occupations/p/speech_path.htm

How do you propose to do this? I have an impression PFH seems to want to make ASL mandatory for all deafies.

Hire more qualified teachers? Better school facility? Etc? Are the teachers themselves qualified enough to teach students?

How can we encourage and nurture the children's ambitions and drive that can serve them later in life? Those things aren't easy to use money on. It's the attitudes amongst the parents, teachers, government, and society, not a matter of funding.

I think PFH is suggesting that ASL be mandatory for all humans, not just the deaf.

Back