If you were born poor.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wouldn't be the only American going to Mexico for that reason.

I've considered Canada too but I don't tolerate the cold well.

I have to admit, from someone who has a somewhat behind the scenes look into Cuba, I believe that it's true that Moore did glorify Cuba's health system. It's impossible to get medicine, even the simple kind, for the common Cuban. My dad regularly sent vitamins and basic medicine (aspirin, cough meds) to my grandmother in Cuba (before she passed away). There are many doctors in Cuba because Castro encouraged this profession due to "oil for doctors" agreement with Venezuela.

However, the movie did bring up good points. A person in Cuba CAN get the exact same treatment/medicine in the US for a ridiculously small amount of money. I've seen several people get medical care (especially dental work) in Brazil when flying down to visit their families because it's so much cheaper there. Not everyone is privileged to be able to fly to other countries to get medical care.

image005[1].jpg

ouch.

I've considered Canada for more than health care. But it's cold enough where I am!:giggle:

Me too. It came as a shock to me that business Toledo actually buy art for their buildings. In many places in this country, people laugh at the very thought. Art is considered irrevelant and impractical.

Lots of places in Canada that are not as cold as Sunny's town haha.

To be honest, I don't want to leave the USA but if things get worse that's a possibility that I may have to consider.

haha Sunny. You'll feel better if you think about temps in the Territories rather than places south of you lol.

What does that have to do with the infant mortality rate?

And do you know what the greatest risk for premature birth is? Lack of prenatal care, which is unavailable to many in this country. Their race or ethnicity does not matter. They are citizens of this country.

Again, we don't know what percentage of these premature babies died because
the mother were denied prenatal care.

For all we know, half of these were given excellent prenatal care but were born with such complications and so early that keeping the alive was simply impossible.
Another half didn't seek prenatal care at all.

either way we should not be the TWENTY NINTH best health care in the world.

actually, with this I can agree, totally. either way, come to think of it, yes.

Fuzzy

I have to admit, from someone who has a somewhat behind the scenes look into Cuba, I believe that it's true that Moore did glorify Cuba's health system. It's impossible to get medicine, even the simple kind, for the common Cuban. My dad regularly sent vitamins and basic medicine (aspirin, cough meds) to my grandmother in Cuba (before she passed away). There are many doctors in Cuba because Castro encouraged this profession due to "oil for doctors" agreement with Venezuela.

However, the movie did bring up good points. A person in Cuba CAN get the exact same treatment/medicine in the US for a ridiculously small amount of money. I've seen several people get medical care (especially dental work) in Brazil when flying down to visit their families because it's so much cheaper there. Not everyone is privileged to be able to fly to other countries to get medical care.

MEDICAL FACILITIES AND HEALTH INFORMATION: Medical care in Cuba does not meet U.S. standards. While medical professionals are generally competent, many health facilities face shortages of medical supplies and bed space. Many medications are unavailable, so travelers to Cuba should bring with them any prescribed medicine in its original container and in amounts commensurate with personal use. Travelers may also wish to consider bringing additional amounts of prescribed medicines and over-the-counter remedies in the event that a return to the United States is delayed for unforeseen reasons. A copy of the prescription and a letter from the prescribing physician explaining the need for prescription drugs may facilitate their entry into the country.

Travelers to the Havana area should be aware that U.S. and other foreign visitors are generally limited to using only the “tourist” Cira Garcia Hospital located in the Miramar neighborhood of Havana. Treatment at Cira Garcia and any other medical consultation requires payment in cash (see section on Medical Insurance below).
Cuba

Medical tourism? Sure.

Jaime Suchlicki, director of the UM institute, said that, while the Communist-run government in Cuba may boast of free and universal healthcare, it practices medical apartheid.

'There are three tiers of hospitals in Cuba. One is for the average Cuban, which is lousy, has very poor facilities, poor medication and so forth,' said Suchlicki. ``The second one is the one for tourists and medical tourism, where there is very good equipment. The third is for high government officials and they are also very good.'

Ortega said Castro uses the country's medical industry as a 'political instrument,' sending thousands of doctors out to Venezuela and elsewhere.

Those doctors get seven years of training, but not of the highest quality, Ortega said. In the old days, each medical student might have three or four patients to study in a ward. Now, it's likely to be four students huddled around one patient, Ortega said.

What's more, doctors earn the equivalent of $10 or $20 a month. To survive, many rent out their cars to drivers who chauffeur tourists or take drugs and supplies from hospitals to sell on the black market.

José, the Havana coach, said that when a neighbor in the the Santos Suarez area of Havana went to the hospital after a car accident, family members had to take bedsheets and towels because on the rare days they were provided by Covadonga Hospital, they were ripped and dirty.

They also took aspirin because the hospital staff would not give it to him as often as he wanted -- as well as daily meals, soap, shampoo and toilet paper because the hospital supplied none.

Newsroom - Cuba Study Group

You wouldn't be the only American going to Mexico for that reason.

Speaking of that...one of my co-workers goes to Costa Rica for dental work on his teeth due to the low cost compared to here in America.

Again, we don't know what percentage of these premature babies died because
the mother were denied prenatal care.

For all we know, half of these were given excellent prenatal care but were born with such complications and so early that keeping the alive was simply impossible.
Another half didn't seek prenatal care at all.

actually, with this I can agree, totally. either way, come to think of it, yes.

Fuzzy

Again, who is this "we"? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

Why do you think people don't seek prenatal care, Fuzzy?

You are making excuses and laying blame everywhere but where it needs to be laid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back