If you were born poor.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
you're better off in villages like South America or Africa where monetary currency does not exist. in there, you will learn how to raise crops, hunt for food, build your own shelter, etc.

There you will almost always be poor. Here you may or may not. Choose your poison. There is no right or wrong answer.

Actually:

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." (Philippians 4:11)

Would the Mexican doctors be any good like American doctors???

Dunno. I'd ask around first and do some checking first. I do know a lot of Americans tend to cross the border to get lower medical bills.

Being poor where EVERYONE else is poor within hundreds of miles is a whole new state of mind from being poor where there are rich people nearby. Cape Town/Johannesburg in South Africa are not good choices. However, out in the rural area (basically, in the middle of nowhere) is better since one who lives there most likely wouldn't know better.

However, if I were somehow born WITH recollection of my current life, my poor life in Africa obviously would be a lot harder to adjust to. All in the state of mind. ;)

I understand about people picking America because we "have a chance" to make our lives successful. I honestly do believe that in today's society, it's a lot harder to "make it" than it was 50 years ago. Hard work just doesn't cut it anymore.

Choices:
1) Try as hard as you can to become successful and failing while watching others succeed due to luck or rich parents.
2) Be in a country where everyone is poor and I'd have to accept being in this state for the rest of my life, not really knowing better.

To me, #1 is more depressing than #2.

If I were born poor, Canada is the perfect place to be - free healthcare services, excellent social programs, excellent government programs offering free work training programs, subsidized daycare, subsidized housing, rate of violence and crime is low (I leave the door to my home unlocked half the time, never had a problem), low-interest loans to attend university. Cost of Canadian universities very low (on average, about $5,000 a year). Many excellent reasons why Canada is a great place to live, whether you're poor or rich.

What amazes me is that someone would choose the U.S. to be born poor in for "economic reasons". :P

Like the poor in America have so many economic advantages. They are called "poor" for a reason.:P

Define poor. Some countries think some of the poorest Americans are rich.
Immigrants come to America for a reason. To take advantage the economic opportunites.

some of the policies in the United States create or increase the class/equity imbalance in other countries which contributes to people coming to the U.S. or leaving their home country and going somewhere else.

class/race/caste/ethnicity all play roles in who has opportunities for what.
U.S. is not immune to this problem

Consider this: According to US government guidelines, as of 2005, an individual with an annual income of less than $10,160 or a family of two with annual income of less than $13,078 is considered to be below poverty line.

That translates to about Rs 37,600 per month for an individual, which in India would be considered being in the upper-income bracket.

The Indian measure for determining poverty is absolutist. Official estimates of the poverty line are based on a norm of 2,400 calories per capita per day for rural areas and 2,100 per capita per day for urban areas. Translating it as money for food, it comes to around Rs 600 per month, as of 2005.

So technically, anyone earning more than Rs 600 is considered above poverty line. Yet, 28% of India's population is considered below poverty line.

$10,160 per year is poor in US? That's rich - Times Of India

In India, they really are called poor for a reason. But in the United States.....

b2607_chart1.ashx

If I were born poor, Canada is the perfect place to be - free healthcare services, excellent social programs, excellent government programs offering free work training programs, subsidized daycare, subsidized housing, rate of violence and crime is low (I leave the door to my home unlocked half the time, never had a problem), low-interest loans to attend university. Cost of Canadian universities very low (on average, about $5,000 a year). Many excellent reasons why Canada is a great place to live, whether you're poor or rich.

Good thing Canada is drilling for more oil.

some of the policies in the United States create or increase the class/equity imbalance in other countries which contributes to people coming to the U.S. or leaving their home country and going somewhere else.

class/race/caste/ethnicity all play roles in who has opportunities for what.
U.S. is not immune to this problem

Yet, the U.S. is known for as the land of opportunities. So many stories of rags to riches (definition varies) because of hard work. Good thing the U.S. is not a centrally planned state.

Yet, the U.S. is known for as the land of opportunities. So many stories of rags to riches (definition varies) because of hard work. Good thing the U.S. is not a centrally planned state.

Of course. My parents are examples. Came to America in the 60s, when they were young teenagers, fleeing Castro's regime in Cuba. My dad worked his way through college and my mom managed to find a job in a bank right after graduating high school.

However, if they came now as a teenager? Would it be the same story?

Highly doubtful.

Of course. My parents are examples. Came to America in the 60s, when they were young teenagers, fleeing Castro's regime in Cuba. My dad worked his way through college and my mom managed to find a job in a bank right after graduating high school.

Highly doubtful.

People still come to America. Still an American dream.

Bora Bora, I'll be poor but it wouldnt matter.. I'll live on that hammock and still be the happiest person in the world.
bora-bora.jpg

Bora Bora, I'll be poor but it wouldnt matter.. I'll live on that hammock and still be the happiest person in the world.
bora-bora.jpg

Yet, you'd have to spend most of your hours in getting food to sustain you each day. Not much time to swing on a hammock except sleep in it at night. Cool hammock, btw.

Yet, you'd have to spend most of your hours in getting food to sustain you each day. Not much time to swing on a hammock except sleep in it at night. Cool hammock, btw.

sushi ftw, never run out. yeah i'd probably die of mercury poisoning, but not for a while.

Highly doubtful.

Exactly. People seem to be stuck in some 1950's bubble.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back