If you were born poor.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a nonsense thread. You give somebody the choice to pick a country, and then narrow it down to 3, and then object when a choice still isn't one of the 3. Ah. Looks like I missed absolutely NOTHING here.

i369.photobucket.com_albums_oo138_spriterfans_this-thread-is-bad-and-you-should-feel-bad.jpg

I'd be confused too! How'd your family survive without insurance? I hope nothing like cancer or diabetes hit your family while you were growing up.

Luckily the only major mishaps were my hearing tests and HA's and my brother had an emergency appendectomy that my Grandmother paid. (Parents were out of state)

Yes, that's when we were poor, mostly during the 1960's. We had no welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, etc.

Yep...we were "poor" but "proud"!...2BR apartment with 6 people in it. My mother worked 2-3 jobs (waitressing), no car...no TV or phone....no Father around...no Welfare, Food Stamps, etc.!..We survived...and look how things are today!....

We all worked jobs and went to school. Now-a-days..even the "poor" have all this and still consider themselves "poor"! Say what?...

Luckily the only major mishaps were my hearing tests and HA's and my brother had an emergency appendectomy that my Grandmother paid. (Parents were out of state)

Glad to hear that.

Here's a question for yourself.

You are about to be born and you can choose whatever country in the world you would like to be born in but the caveat is that you will be the poorest person in that particular country of your choice. Which country would you prefer to be born in? And why that country?

Hmm... Not sure. USA or Sweden is probably good choice for me, I think.

I'd be confused too! How'd your family survive without insurance? I hope nothing like cancer or diabetes hit your family while you were growing up.

The same for my mother...no insurance...if you became sick...."tough shyt"!...and here I am, deaf today, due to ear problems and not being able to see a doctor.

Having grown up about as poor as one can grow up I can't imagine doing it anywhere else but the U.S. I never once doubted I could make it here.

As for the health care here, I survived a nasty bout with TB at age 7 as an asthma sufferer. :dunno:

Yep...we were "poor" but "proud"!...2BR apartment with 6 people in it. My mother worked 2-3 jobs (waitressing), no car...no TV or phone....no Father around...no Welfare, Food Stamps, etc.!..We survived...and look how things are today!....

We all worked jobs and went to school. Now-a-days..even the "poor" have all this and still consider themselves "poor"! Say what?...

That reminds me....

Understanding Poverty in the United States: Poverty USA

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

posts from hell said:
If I was born poor, I'd rather live in a country (USA) where I could have an opportunity to pull myself out of poverty rather than live in a country that supported my poverty.

I wasn't born poor but during part of my childhood my divorced mom, my brother, and I became poor. I was aware that we had become poor but we didn't dwell on our "poorness." We just made the best of things.

I disagree, the USA isnt like that anymore.

You don't need to agree. The OP asked which country we each would choose. You make your choice, and I make mine. :)

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

You don't need to agree. The OP asked which country we each would choose. You make your choice, and I make mine. :)

Thanks for telling me that... I was putting in my opinion.

My mom was a receptionist and housekeeper at a women's college dorm, took in ironing, and did various other odd jobs. I delivered newspapers, babysat, and during the summers worked with my mom as a housekeeper at the college.

you're better off in villages like South America or Africa where monetary currency does not exist. in there, you will learn how to raise crops, hunt for food, build your own shelter, etc.

Yup. Imagine if USA had no such thing as paper money, coins or credit cards or bank transfers. How would it be? Imagine that, trading or working for someone to receive something in return (not money).

That's how these poor impoverished nations are working. Even though they don't have all the items they need for luxurious lives, they are able to get by without worrying about minimum wage, mortgage, rent, taxes, federal debt. They can just get by the day, just not in grand fashion.

Money. It's what's controlling just about all of us in the USA and it's not always for a good samaritan purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back