District files appeal against deaf student

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely understand. Just because I support the concept of Bi-Bi I am told that I am biased toward sign and against oral skills, when in fact, the bi-bi philosophy proposes the use of both. In fact the true bias comes from those who are experiencing problems with their child's education, but refuse to let go of their practices that obviously are not working. Holding onto that which is ineffective even after it has proven ineffective is the true bias, because it is illogical.

From what I have read of what you say you are bias towards signing. Let's be honest how many profoundly deaf kids that have gone through a bi bi approach have oral skills that most people would understand.
Where as my children most anybody they come in contact will understand them. Academically my son is above grade level. He is in the 9th grade reading at a 10th grade level and half of his classes are honors level. He is fully mainstreamed with no interpeter or notetaker. He rarely studies for a test and always gets b's and sbove on his test. My daughter also fully mainstreamed with an adult notetaker received a and b's on her report card. Yes lot of work on her part and yes she missed information but is so smart that she makes it up. In California we have an high school exit exam the kids take in the 10th grade which she just finished and passed this test on the 1st time. So there are gaps but that is where my job as a mom is to come in and fill the gaps.

That's why I feel like tearing my hair out when I get acussed of being against CIs or oral language ...it is the oral-ONLY approach in which signing is completely banned is what I am against...big difference. Yes, the bi bi approach uses both and people seem to think I am advocating for signing only...NO! I am NOT! Wow...

I don't know you well enough to say that you against CI's. But I have come across deaf people who have told me that I should not have implant my son. That if he wanted an implant he should make that decision when he was 18. My answer to this is both from a parent stand point and an oral teacher of the deaf if I would have waited he wouldn't have been able to be oral. He was born deaf and if we didn't implant when we did he would not have been oral. This was decision and my right as his parent to make that decision and it was a very informed decision.
When we implanted him I did my research, I knew it was not a miracle I knew that I had to put all effort into this. It was a lot of work. I stopped working for my children first 5 years so that I could be home with them. It was well worth but I know that the implant is not for everyone and that oral is not for everyone just as I know that a signing only or a TC approach is not for everyone.

Sometimes deaf children are unable to develop oral skills. My brother is one of them and does that mean he and others are out of luck for something they cant help? I think the employers need to change that view if they require speech skills to hire people for good jobs. Isnt having knowledge better than having oral skills? For me having knowledge and advanced literacy skills is so much more important. Why is speech so important in that deaf people are put at risk for being language delayed due to not picking up on spoken language and then having to learn sign language at a later age when they should be learning how to read and write?

You are 100% right some deaf children cannot develop oral skills for whatever reason and there are many. Yes you are right it is so much better to have the knowledge and then have oral skills. I have come across children that are able to talk well but cannot add or read. But what I am trying to with my children is for them to be able to do both. But if I was give option of one or the other, HANDS DOWN always it would be for them to have the knowledge. We have been lucky that they have been able to both with a lot work and struggles but they are doing both.
I think speech is important if it can happen but always having the knowledge and skills is so much more important then just being able to be oral.
I cannot talk about other oral parents because I am not your typical oralist. I was always making sure that my children were progress first in their academic abilities and second in their oral language. I never allowed for my children to be pulled from their class for speech. I have always taken them to a private speech therapist so that they did not have to miss class time. My children know that their school work is their number one thing.

I don't know you well enough to say that you against CI's. But I have come across deaf people who have told me that I should not have implant my son. That if he wanted an implant he should make that decision when he was 18. My answer to this is both from a parent stand point and an oral teacher of the deaf if I would have waited he wouldn't have been able to be oral. He was born deaf and if we didn't implant when we did he would not have been oral. This was decision and my right as his parent to make that decision and it was a very informed decision.
When we implanted him I did my research, I knew it was not a miracle I knew that I had to put all effort into this. It was a lot of work. I stopped working for my children first 5 years so that I could be home with them. It was well worth but I know that the implant is not for everyone and that oral is not for everyone just as I know that a signing only or a TC approach is not for everyone.

other people have accused me of being anti Ci when I never said that...it goes way back here on AD but we all got it cleared out.

At the beginning when I first joined, I have said that I always preferred to wait until the child is older but always emphasized that they are not my children and it is the parents and their family's own decision to make. It doesnt mean I go around labeling people abusers or telling them they are wrong for implanting their children. I always stayed neutral when parents have asked me what I think about CIs..just that it was their decision and not mine.

I have to tell you how much I have enjoyed reading your posts. Our daughter is 20, going into her junior year of college, a ci user and was raised orally. She was always mainstreamed and has been exposed to the oral deaf community since we discovered she was deaf.

My wife is also a Spec Ed teacher and when you describe the work you do with your children it was similar to what my wife did with our daughter-each night basically going over what was taught each day and helping her. My daughter is not a student, never was, never will be but she is a hard worker and that paid off in HS and now in college as she is a Dean's List student.

What I do not enjoy reading is your struggles with your school district, and if there is anything I can do, please let me know, you can pm me as I know a family that fought for and got CART in HS and one that did so in college.

Our school district is very small one, about 15-1600 kids k-12 and this a suburb of NYC. We were the first ci kid not only they had but our county had. We went into our first IEP meeting loaded for bear with our S&L therapist and the head of her then oral program however our district's philosophy was that they wanted to make it work and wanted to see her graduate from her HS with her friends and so, we had cooperation and not fights for all those years. Not everything worked perfectly but there was a willingness to make it work. In the early years her S&L therapist or TOD would explain to the class what a ci was and how it worked and how she heard. Every year my wife would meet at the beginning of every year with all her teachers and go through what they needed to do, what she heard, did not hear etc.

I hope all goes well in your battle with the district, there are people out here who either experienced something you might need help on or know others who have so shout out for I am sure they will answer your call!

Welcome aboard!
Rick

Rick
Thank you so much for your words. I just don't get things sometimes with the deaf community why does it have to be one way or the other. Why can why not respect each others decision and support each other.
I would love the have contact info on the person you mention that has fought for CART and received it. In southern California there are 8 other high schools that are using it. I gave this info to the district, they never contact anyone. I have gave them Aaron Steinfield Doctoral paper that he wrote on CART and high school students. It is just so frustrating. I am so gald your daughter is doing well as my children are there are bumps on the road but isn't life like that general.
Just side note my son recieved his implant when he was three years old. I had to fight to get it because at time we did not have insurance because I was not working so I can be at home with the kids. My husband wasn't making very much money so because I fought with the state captiol and medi-cal and ccs, plus I called every elected offical I knew and made a trip up to Sacarmento it is now consider a surgery just like any other and now other people who do not have money for a ci can now get here in California. I guess I sort of know how to fight and will not give up.
We now have had 3 articles written in our local papers plus we were the leading story on the newscast on a Spanish news channel. I am trying to get the word.
The school really is just wasting money on attorneys especially since several other high schools in our area are already using CART

Rick
Thank you so much for your words. I just don't get things sometimes with the deaf community why does it have to be one way or the other. Why can why not respect each others decision and support each other.

Because too often when deaf people express their views based on their experiences, we are criticized as being biased or close minded. It makes it hard for us to respect others when they do that to us. Just like u are feeling that the deaf community is not respecting you and your decisions. We all need to find a middle ground so I agree with u that we all need to respect each other. I just want to stop seeing so many deaf children being language deprived..that's my passion and sometimes that makes me come off as being disrespectful but I feel so strongly about this. Oh well. U say u dont feel respected by the deaf community..I dont feel respected by the hearing community so what should we do to solve this problem?

I would love the have contact info on the person you mention that has fought for CART and received it. In southern California there are 8 other high schools that are using it. I gave this info to the district, they never contact anyone. I have gave them Aaron Steinfield Doctoral paper that he wrote on CART and high school students. It is just so frustrating. I am so gald your daughter is doing well as my children are there are bumps on the road but isn't life like that general.
Just side note my son recieved his implant when he was three years old. I had to fight to get it because at time we did not have insurance because I was not working so I can be at home with the kids. My husband wasn't making very much money so because I fought with the state captiol and medi-cal and ccs, plus I called every elected offical I knew and made a trip up to Sacarmento it is now consider a surgery just like any other and now other people who do not have money for a ci can now get here in California. I guess I sort of know how to fight and will not give up.
We now have had 3 articles written in our local papers plus we were the leading story on the newscast on a Spanish news channel. I am trying to get the word.
The school really is just wasting money on attorneys especially since several other high schools in our area are already using CART

I though the school got the CART? Are u speaking about the appeal?

To the mom,

I'm happy the oral method works for your kids, and you're allowing them to learn sign if they choose to. but remember that there are people here who were raised orally like your daughter, and they didn't have the support that you give your daughter. I was raised mainly orally, but I learned to sign as i grew up. In Middle and High School, I had interpreters. My mother was not fully involved in my school life, and i'm sure a lot of people here had the same problem.

Nobody is condemning you for allowing your child to have every advantage.. But there are those of us who are against children growing up in fully oral settings. You have to understand it's the scars that some of us carry with us throughout our lives that make us the way we are and make us condemn the oral approach. While we understand it's your choice to raise your child the way you choose, we just have a different point of view.

THANK YOU THANK YOU that is all that I am trying to say. I completely understand what you are saying. And I can see your point so well. I have seen so many children like you that there parents really wanted them to be oral but for whatever you were not able too. And I want you to know that if at all saw my children not being able to be oral I would change completely and I would have immerse myself and my family in the Deaf culture.

I was just talking to my daughter about comments people have made about me raising them orally. She said why do people think you are againsh sign language. If you were against sign language you wouldn't sign with my friends or wouldn't have let go to the prom with Ariann who only signs.

I completely understand about your scars, I have seen them. I have children that are learning in sign language at school but nobody signs at home. It breaks my heart.

I don't care what road parents take as long as they are fully informed and completely embrace whatever road they have taken.

I am sorry for what you have gone through and because the field I am in, I am aware this and very careful that my children understand what I did and why and they are at an age that they can begin to make their own decisions. They know that I will full respect what they want and embrace it.

THANK YOU THANK YOU that is all that I am trying to say. I completely understand what you are saying. And I can see your point so well. I have seen so many children like you that there parents really wanted them to be oral but for whatever you were not able too. And I want you to know that if at all saw my children not being able to be oral I would change completely and I would have immerse myself and my family in the Deaf culture.

I was just talking to my daughter about comments people have made about me raising them orally. She said why do people think you are againsh sign language. If you were against sign language you wouldn't sign with my friends or wouldn't have let go to the prom with Ariann who only signs.

I completely understand about your scars, I have seen them. I have children that are learning in sign language at school but nobody signs at home. It breaks my heart.

I don't care what road parents take as long as they are fully informed and completely embrace whatever road they have taken.

I am sorry for what you have gone through and because the field I am in, I am aware this and very careful that my children understand what I did and why and they are at an age that they can begin to make their own decisions. They know that I will full respect what they want and embrace it.

For having that awareness and open-mindeness, I applaud u!!! :)

I was never criticizing u in my previous post and I am sorry if for some reason, it came out that way. Bearbeauty hit the nail in the head.

I have heard this so much for deaf people that they had bad memories of their childhood and I have seen deaf children isolated. And I can tell you my children are not like that. I have this amazing bond with my children. and I have a great bond with my mother but she had a hard life raising us as a single mother and I gotta say that she did a gREAT job with us. I was referring to my childhood memories of SCHOOL..my childhood memories out of school are great. Just in school, it seems the bad memories outrank the good ones. Sorry for not being clear about what I meant by bad childhool memories.

Both of my children were in preschool and kindergarten in an oral special day class so I thiink it was bit different for them. They were in a small class with other d/hh kids. In the primary grades they were fully mainstream at the school where I taught. I was able to hand select their teacher. Their teachers were my friends so they kept an extra eye on them. Everybody on campus knew they were my children. I was able to see them through out the day. I really do think they did not so through as hard of time as you have. These last couple of days I have been talking to them because of these comments to see what they think. They said they did not go through what you went through. It must have been really tuff on your mom to raise two kids alone. We were very lucky. My husband and I have been married 18 years. He works afternoon and I work mornings. Someone is always home for my children.

And they talk to me about everything. Especially with my daughter I have told her over and over again if she wants to go back to her old high school but she says they do expect too much for her and she does not want to go back. You talk about how I should encourage her. to right decision. I feel she is.

Her old high school expects too much for her? How? If she is not comfortable there, then no need to force her to go there but as long as she feels confident in herself and not ashamed of who she is.

I am sorry what I meant was that her old high school had too low expectations for her, She is standing right now next to me and she said she feels very comfortable at her current high school which only has one other deaf students. She says she is not ashamed of being oral and that she is proud of who she is a deaf oral teenager

I am sure that if she wanted to go back to her old high school with her deaf friends and I didn't let her you would probable say that I am not respecting her deafness. So probable in your eyes I can make no right decision.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry that u feel that way but I dont remember criticizing u for your decisions nor saying that u dont make right decisions. Pls show me where did I say that? Thanks

I am sorry it wasn't you it was somebody else who made a comment really sorry about that

I will tell u why I am against the oral-ONLY view or approach cuz I have seen too many children being deprived of language due to not being able to pick up on spoken language. That's why I am a strong believer in the Bi-Bi approach cuz in the educational setting, we are providing both languages to guarantee that NO child is left out or that the child is not being deprived of a full access to language. At the same time, the children are getting exposed to spoken language to meet their auditory/oral skills if they have the abilities. We have the best of both so why dont all schools adopt that? What's the harm in that?

To your comment right here, you are right I have seen some parents not changing to signing so soon enought BUT if a parent wants to try for their child to oral and if the child is 3 or under then in order for a chance to have a chance to be oral no sign needs to be introduce. I am telling you this from an oral teacher stand point. I have not seen a child yet that has a profoundl hearing loss and is able to be both oral and sign at a young age. My children are able to sign socially but I did not allow sign language until they had a good solid foundation in oral languge but now that they are teenagers I think it is great that my daughter ends up being an interpreter for parents that do not know enough sign language to communicate with their children.

U say about lack of parental involvement..well, at least in the BiBi approach, the child is getting access to language as opposed to none if they are placed in the oral only approach and they were unable to pick up on spoken language. I would rather not put any deaf/hoh at risk for not picking up on spoken language and then having to transfer them into "special" ed classes in which they are finally exposed to sign language at a later age after the formative years for language development has passed. Yes, the oral-only approach can work for some children but in my view, the educational approach SHOULD work for all children. That's why I dont believe in the oral-only approach cuz it doesnt work for ALL children and I see too many children struggling with literacy skills because they were unable to pick up on spoken language during the critical years of language development and when it was discovered that they were falling behind, sign language gets introduced to them but years of language development has been lost. With the BIBI approach, by using both languages, nobody is being deprived of language access or development and still can develop their oral skills.

The oral method can work for some children but parents need to be aware and acknowledge that it might not work for their child, which I was. Like I said before if you introduce sign language and oral language to a profoundly deaf child they will not pick up on the oral language because sign language will be much easier. Have you seen any profoundly deaf kids that were introduce to sign language and oral language at the same time at ayoung age and where able to develop good oral language skills, I have not and I would love to meet some. Parents just need to be careful when deciding on oral language and be completely committed to it but also be aware that there child might not be able to be oral
Going back to parental involvement

My brother and I were born profoundly deaf..both with the same dB loss..I was able to pick up on spoken language and went to public school..excelled in academics, which I have no idea how cuz I missed out on so much...my brother was placed in the same oral only program but he was unable to pick up on spoken language like I was despite having the same level of hearing loss...but the teachers who were so set on their views kept telling my mom to have patience.."he will catch up..." and more BS...but when my brother went to kindergarten, he was so lost and had so many tantrums due to the huge communication barrier so my mom sent him to the deaf school in which he flourished. Since he missed out a lot in language development during the first 5 years of his life, he struggled with reading and writing and to this day, he has to work hard at writing well. For me, it was the social-emotional development that the oral only approach failed me in. My mom was very much involved in our education but she is not a miracle worker.

That is sad that they kept telling your mom to keep him in an oral class. Just because you both heard at the same db does mean it sounds the same to both of you. An audiogram is just a picture it does not tell us how kids hear the sound jus that they hear.

I am not condemning u or whatever but I just dont believe in this approach for reasons stated above and another reason too...I have yet seen or heard of any oral-only education for the deaf having deaf people as teachers or aides. It is all hearing people. Where are the deaf adult role model for these kids?

I have seen deaf adults in oral classes of course these deaf adults are oral. My son had a profoundly deaf adult as a teacher, she was oral. I also work with a deaf psychologist that work with oral deaf kids. My best friend has a severe hearing loss and is an oral parent/infant teacher. My daughter just loves her. I have had an aide who has a severe to profoundly hearing loss. I also know of 3 deaf oral teachers that went through the program that I went through to become an oral deaf teacher
This is about the views and philosophies of the oral-only approach not about u as a mother. I just dont agree with those views or philosophies at all. I just would never tell a parent what they can or they can do for their children on where to place them. All I can just offer my views and my reasons for not agreeing to this view and up to the parents to keep them in mind or totally reject them.
That is also what I think, I think as educators it is our job to tell parents of the different approaches and tell them the pros and cons. I also do tell them that I am more bias towards one way or another but I tell them they need seek out the inforamtion on all the different ways of educating their child

I am not comfortable using my oral skills anymore cuz too many communication breakdowns and that it is just hard work for me to keep communication going. I use sign language 95% of the time in my life now. The only time I use my oral skills are when I am with my husband's family or with my family...otherwise it is all in a signing environment because I am fully involved and not missing out on anything.

I cant imagine teaching not using sign language and having to use lipreading skills all day. It would just burn me out cuz it is so much stress on my eyes and I would be a nervous wreck trying to ensure that my speaking is clear enough for all the students to understand me. I cant imagine doing that 8 hours 5 days a week. I would collapse from exhaustion. Teaching using sign language feels so much more comfortable for me and I have such an easy dialogue with my students on a daily basis. Rarely there are any communication breakdowns. I grew up dealing with communication breakdowns constantly so I have had enough.

Thanks though..:)

I can really see your point about how frustrating and tiring it would be to lip read all day long. My children are lucky that they can hear a lot with their hearing devices. My son just relys on his implant, he really doesn't lip read. He can understand about 80% on what is being said.
My daughter wears a hearing aide in one ear and an CI in the other ear and she does lip read but relay more on her hearing aide side. Since you just would have to relay on lip reading that would be too hard, I agree but my kids are not like you, they unique individuals and I treat differently because are individuals

I can really see your point about how frustrating and tiring it would be to lip read all day long. My children are lucky that they can hear a lot with their hearing devices. My son just relys on his implant, he really doesn't lip read. He can understand about 80% on what is being said.
My daughter wears a hearing aide in one ear and an CI in the other ear and she does lip read but relay more on her hearing aide side. Since you just would have to relay on lip reading that would be too hard, I agree but my kids are not like you, they unique individuals and I treat differently because are individuals

Yea...that's cool. If I lose my job as a signing teacher, then I guess I will have to get a CI to become an oral teacher for the deaf but another AD member said that would be wrong cuz my heart wouldnt be in it and as a result, I probably wouldnt make the CI work for me. I appreciated his comments so I really dont know what to do for my future as an educator for the deaf. I will find something else as usual. No biggie..I just want a job that I love and I have it but now it is in danger...:(

I wasnt talking about u...talking about out there in my professional and personal life. It is a constant battle and one I get so tired of.

I have seen this side too where in the deaf community I am not respected because of the choices I have made for my children, so I can see where you would also feel that way from the oralist standpoint

Almost all of my deaf friends who have been raised orally said they wished they had sign language or deaf friends growing up.
I have heard that and that is why I make sure to go out of my way to drive where ever my daughter wants to go and see her deaf friends I really enjoy spending time with them too, just the other day my daughter friend said to her I like your mom, she says she my friend

At least your children have their deaf friends and have a balance of both signing and oral. I am sure if I had both, maybe my experience wouldnt be as awful. Like Bearbeauty said, many of us had such different experiences that left scars in each of us.

I know I have met people that have had such bad experience and I really think I have learn from their experiences

I know I have met people that have had such bad experience and I really think I have learn from their experiences

Yea, u are going out of your way to ensure that your daughter's needs are being met and that's so great! :)

other people have accused me of being anti Ci when I never said that...it goes way back here on AD but we all got it cleared out.

At the beginning when I first joined, I have said that I always preferred to wait until the child is older but always emphasized that they are not my children and it is the parents and their family's own decision to make. It doesnt mean I go around labeling people abusers or telling them they are wrong for implanting their children. I always stayed neutral when parents have asked me what I think about CIs..just that it was their decision and not mine.

I go out of my way to always talk to parents about implants. I have found too many parents thinking it is a miracle when it is not. An implant can be a very valuable tool. I always refer to implants as being part of the puzzle and every part has to be there to fit if not then it is of no use. Being an oral teacher of deaf implant centers have called to ask me what I thought about certain students of mine if they should get implant and on several occasions I have told no, one because parents only spoke Spanish and were not willing to learn English there was no use in that case. In another case my student was 6 years old and had no oral skills so I told parents and my prnicpal and the implant center that this child needed a signing program right away. The child came to me at the age of 6 and I knew he was not going to make it orall and should have been placed in a TC class a long time ago

I go out of my way to always talk to parents about implants. I have found too many parents thinking it is a miracle when it is not. An implant can be a very valuable tool. I always refer to implants as being part of the puzzle and every part has to be there to fit if not then it is of no use. Being an oral teacher of deaf implant centers have called to ask me what I thought about certain students of mine if they should get implant and on several occasions I have told no, one because parents only spoke Spanish and were not willing to learn English there was no use in that case. In another case my student was 6 years old and had no oral skills so I told parents and my prnicpal and the implant center that this child needed a signing program right away. The child came to me at the age of 6 and I knew he was not going to make it orall and should have been placed in a TC class a long time ago

That's good that u dont hold that "CI is a miracle" view ..I am dealing with that view constantly with the parents of our CI students at our school. It makes me want to tear my hair out!!! :giggle:

As a professional, I have to remain neutral about that issue and I cant allow myself get personally involved..just try to offer as much support for them as we can. I guess MD and CA are different. Hmm..

My brother is a PE teacher at the Deaf School in AZ and he is always telling me stories about deaf kids from Spanish speaking families and the staff's frustrations in dealing with their unrealistic expectations with the CIs. Our issues are totally different but similar in some ways.

I though the school got the CART? Are u speaking about the appeal?
Because too often when deaf people express their views based on their experiences, we are criticized as being biased or close minded. It makes it hard for us to respect others when they do that to us. Just like u are feeling that the deaf community is not respecting you and your decisions. We all need to find a middle ground so I agree with u that we all need to respect each other. I just want to stop seeing so many deaf children being language deprived..that's my passion and sometimes that makes me come off as being disrespectful but I feel so strongly about this. Oh well. U say u dont feel respected by the deaf community..I dont feel respected by the hearing community so what should we do to solve this problem?

We should come to together for the sake of all of these deaf children. We should respect each other and trully find out why we each feel the way we do. I love what do I work with preschool CI kids. I get them at a time that I can either help them or be able to tell parents in kind and caring way that oral is just right for them. I work closely with my parents. I feel the job I do with parents is more important then what I do with my students. My parents have their child for 20 hours a day where I only have them for 4 hours a day. I talk them about successes in oral education as well as the failures. I talk them about the successful deaf friends my daughter as well as those deaf kids that are in TC classes where the parents don't bother to learn sign language. Honestly I am an oralist but I do not consider myself an extreme oralist. Oral has been good for my children but I know it is not right road for everybody. One of my closest friends is a college interpreter and she comes from a signing family with deaf siblings. We actually have this joke between us I call her Big D and she calls me Big O. We respect each other, she agrees with my postiion and I agree with her. I would that for all of us.

Yes they have agree to provide with CART while the appeal is taking place

Yea...that's cool. If I lose my job as a signing teacher, then I guess I will have to get a CI to become an oral teacher for the deaf but another AD member said that would be wrong cuz my heart wouldnt be in it and as a result, I probably wouldnt make the CI work for me. I appreciated his comments so I really dont know what to do for my future as an educator for the deaf. I will find something else as usual. No biggie..I just want a job that I love and I have it but now it is in danger...:(
You are so right if your heart and mind are not in it do not get a cochlear implant you have to want it and believe in it. I am sure you can find another job in another realm helping the deaf community. They need people like you

We should come to together for the sake of all of these deaf children. We should respect each other and trully find out why we each feel the way we do. I love what do I work with preschool CI kids. I get them at a time that I can either help them or be able to tell parents in kind and caring way that oral is just right for them. I work closely with my parents. I feel the job I do with parents is more important then what I do with my students. My parents have their child for 20 hours a day where I only have them for 4 hours a day. I talk them about successes in oral education as well as the failures. I talk them about the successful deaf friends my daughter as well as those deaf kids that are in TC classes where the parents don't bother to learn sign language. Honestly I am an oralist but I do not consider myself an extreme oralist. Oral has been good for my children but I know it is not right road for everybody. One of my closest friends is a college interpreter and she comes from a signing family with deaf siblings. We actually have this joke between us I call her Big D and she calls me Big O. We respect each other, she agrees with my postiion and I agree with her. I would that for all of us.

Yes they have agree to provide with CART while the appeal is taking place

:gpost:

Wow! Thanks and that helps me to be less anal about my views against the oral philosophy. I just want others to stop looking at sign language as inferiror or making comments about deaf people not being able to function if they dont develop oral skills cuz I see so many deaf people who have no oral skills who have inspired me.

Ok..I want the same too..I am tired of fighting..but I keep on going cuz I know I wont give up on my beliefs but at the same time I do want to find a middle ground. It is tough sometimes...:)

Yea, u are going out of your way to ensure that your daughter's needs are being met and that's so great! :)

Thank you that is all that I am trying to do and I feel I know my daughter better then anyone. We talk a lot about a lot of different things. Keeping the lines of communication open is very important to me. This is another reason I love being a teacher because of my hours. In the morning my husband is home with the kids and in the afternoon I am always home with them.

That's good that u dont hold that "CI is a miracle" view ..I am dealing with that view constantly with the parents of our CI students at our school. It makes me want to tear my hair out!!! :giggle:

We have something in common. Parents find out about my kids and how successful they are and I always tell them that it is different. Our family because we just had deaf kids changed our lives for them. I also feel like tearing out my hair because the implant be an amazing tool but never ever a miracle. Once on the news they told the story of a 2 year deaf girl getting an implant and on the first she hear her mom call her name and the little girl turn to her name, excuse my language full shit, newly implant child will not turn to their name

As a professional, I have to remain neutral about that issue and I cant allow myself get personally involved..just try to offer as much support for them as we can. I guess MD and CA are different. Hmm..
MD and CA same, I just tell parents both sides and make sure that they understand and I do sometimes day what I am telling you is because I am a parent. My district knows that I am but outspoken but they love having me on staff because of my background

My brother is a PE teacher at the Deaf School in AZ and he is always telling me stories about deaf kids from Spanish speaking families and the staff's frustrations in dealing with their unrealistic expectations with the CIs. Our issues are totally different but similar in some ways.

Yeah I think that is my hardest thing. I do have one spanish speaking parent that is learning English with her daughter and her daughter is my highest student in class but because mom is doing everything on her part, It can be done but usually isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back