District files appeal against deaf student

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely understand. Just because I support the concept of Bi-Bi I am told that I am biased toward sign and against oral skills, when in fact, the bi-bi philosophy proposes the use of both. In fact the true bias comes from those who are experiencing problems with their child's education, but refuse to let go of their practices that obviously are not working. Holding onto that which is ineffective even after it has proven ineffective is the true bias, because it is illogical.

That's why I feel like tearing my hair out when I get acussed of being against CIs or oral language ...it is the oral-ONLY approach in which signing is completely banned is what I am against...big difference. Yes, the bi bi approach uses both and people seem to think I am advocating for signing only...NO! I am NOT! Wow...

I completely understand. Just because I support the concept of Bi-Bi I am told that I am biased toward sign and against oral skills, when in fact, the bi-bi philosophy proposes the use of both. In fact the true bias comes from those who are experiencing problems with their child's education, but refuse to let go of their practices that obviously are not working. Holding onto that which is ineffective even after it has proven ineffective is the true bias, because it is illogical.

I have a couple of questions for you first what state are you in. Second, of the deaf children you have seen that have a profound hearing loss and have been educated in a bi-bi approach, how many of these people have good oral skills where they can go out in the hearing community and be able to communicate with hearing people without having to write notes. How many of these people can have jobs in the hearing world without having an interpeter with them.

I have a couple of questions for you first what state are you in. Second, of the deaf children you have seen that have a profound hearing loss and have been educated in a bi-bi approach, how many of these people have good oral skills where they can go out in the hearing community and be able to communicate with hearing people without having to write notes. How many of these people can have jobs in the hearing world without having an interpeter with them.

Sometimes deaf children are unable to develop oral skills. My brother is one of them and does that mean he and others are out of luck for something they cant help? I think the employers need to change that view if they require speech skills to hire people for good jobs. Isnt having knowledge better than having oral skills? For me having knowledge and advanced literacy skills is so much more important. Why is speech so important in that deaf people are put at risk for being language delayed due to not picking up on spoken language and then having to learn sign language at a later age when they should be learning how to read and write?

I don't see it so much as your daughter changing who she is, but simply accepting who she is. And the purpose would not be to make it easier for the school system, but to make it easier for her to comprehend the information. The benefit would be to her, not the school system.

Again you are judging the road that we have taken. I can accept that you have taken the signing road with your child, it was your choice, why can't you accept it that this is the road we have taken and we are happy with our decisions. I completely understand that oral is not right for everyone and that some parents kept their children too long on the oral path when they should change. She has accept who she is. She is young deaf teenager that was raised orally. She knows that if she wants to drop her voice she can do it at anytime with our blessing if that is what she wants. A couple of her deaf friends that go to high school with other deaf have told me that they wish they could talk like Samantha. It is a personal and we need to respect other peoples choices.

And I agree. And that would mean undertanding that it is not an either/or argument, but rather one of including every advantage.

I would be totally fine if the school would provided an interpeter and CART. CART being my first choice. Because first sign language is not my daughter's first language and second it would be a huge benefit to have a transcript of every word being said in class.

We really shouldn't judge somebody without knowing them. I am not judging you. In fact, I have made it very clear that I am not passing judgement on your parenting skills or your value as a person.

Since I am an oral teacher of the deaf I have taken several college level classes in ASL. While I probable couldn't communicate with a deaf adult signers, my signing skills are OK.
This is a bit of a pradoxical comment. Oral teachers normally do not utilize sign linaguage in any form. And my question would remain. Do you use your sign skills to communicate with your deaf children in their home environment? That is not a judgement, but simply a questiion

No I do not use sign language with my students. Some of my students know some signs and I recognize and respond in oral language because my class is strictly oral and this what the parents want, what my school districts pays me to do, and it is what I believe for young children that are trying to be oral. I have no problem using sign language at home with my children because they already have a strong foundation in oral language that I think at this point sign language is a great tool for them now but I never sign with my own children when they were young and I very happy with that decision

I do try to sign with my daughter but she tells me not too. She tells I can hear you and understand you so please talk to me.

Is it possible because she is in an oral environment, and has not been exposed at all to deaf culture, that she has developed a sort of self destructive oralist attitude toward herself? After all, if she has been given the message that oral is superior to sign, then she would rebel against sign for fear that it would place her in that inferior category. Please reread some of shel's posts on the consequences of an oral environment and the message that it provides.

She is not completely in an oral envirnoment her closeest friends just sign the boy she went to the prom with and has a huge crush just signs. She is not given the message that oral is superior. The message she is given is that 99% of the world is hearing that if possible oral language will give her an advantage.
I do sign with her deaf friends. I am much better at telling them what I want to tell them then they telling me.

Communication is a two way street. To communicate, one must be able not only to direct, but to receive.

Maybe I didn't express I do understand what my daughter's friends tell but I have problems understanding everything by the end of the summer I will understand much more because every summer her friends hang out a lot at my home so I am able to practice my signing skills better. Since it is the beginning of the summer my signing skills are rusty.

My daughter was on a deaf cheerleading squad and her coach was deaf and ended being one of my professors at school.
I am not denying my daughter to use sign language. I do everything in my power for her to stay in contact with her deaf friends at her old school. I also stay her to deaf awareness that happens once a month about 45 minutes away from my home.
She just recently went to a prom with young man that only signs. In order for to let her do that the boy had to come my house to ask for permission because that is the way I was raised. When this young man came to my house I ask my friend an ASL interpeter to come to make sure that I understood what he was saying and he understood my rules.
I do feel that I expose my children to the Deaf culture.

And it is wonderful that you are beginning to do this. I encourage you not only to allow your children to participate, but that you actively participate, as well. That conveys not only an attitude of acceptance to your children, but also opens up considerations of what it is to be deaf that you would never have conceived of without direct exposure and participation in the culture. And I speak from direct experience.
You talk about limiting my children. This is exactly what I am trying not to do. If I place my daughter in a d/hh special day class then she would be working at 5 th grade level work.

I am not beginning to do this, I have done this since she began to learn sign language.

Can you identify for me the statistics you are using for assuming that all children in d/hh classes do not work above a 5th grade level? I understand that you are trying not to limit your daughter. I never accused you of anything of the kind. As parents, we all attempt what we believe is in the best interest of your children. But, as parents, we are human and we sometimes make mistakes--me included. Those mistakes are made not from lack of good intention, but from lack of information regarding the eventual consequences our decisions have.

Again the information is from southern California from what Shel says her school is different and I am glad for that. My statistics from directly from the school districts that I have worked in and the school districts that my children have been in. I have talked to the teachers and admins. I wish it was different but it is not different here.

I do not care how good a teacher is is she has 10 kids and 9 are working at 5 th grade but my daughter is working at a 10th grade then that teacher will focus on the majority of her students and my daughter will regress. This is just the way the system is. And want more for my children

And I wanted more for my son, as well. The way I accomplished that was to place him somewhere where his opporetunities were expanded, and his strenghts were capitlized on. That, for me, was a deaf school. That doesn't mean that I tell all parents that this is what they should decide, but it does mean that I offer this solution as a possible option. [/

The decision you made was good for your son. The decisions I have made are good for my children.

No, not because I believe in it, but because research has overwhelming shown that academic performance is facilitated. And why are you questioning the possibility of a BI-BI educaton is you are open to changing your decisions based on how your child is doing?

In post #74, you stated that your daughter dies have lots of problems with understanding her teachers, and that she cannot participate in class discussions. You stated that she couldn't hear the questions.

In post #81, you stated that she would fake understanding because she was just trying to fit in and didn't want to be singled out.

In post #56, you stated that she received below basic scores on state tests.

Also in post # 74, you stated that she did have trouble understanding academic content.

These are your words describing your daughter's situation, not mine. And my interpretation from what you have shared is that your daughter is experiencing educational problems, has been experiencing problems for quite some time, and that these problems should be addressed. I also see her current situation as not working to provide her with maximum benefit from the educaitonal environment. I base my conclusions not only on my experience from having raised a deaf child, but from having a master's degree in counseling which I use to provide counseling services to deaf adolescents and their parents, by working on my doctorate and doing my graduate assistantship in disabiltiy services providing accommodations to other deaf students, and from extensive research into the consequences of certain educational practices as applied to the deaf student.

You are right my daughter has had some difficulty but most students at some point in their educational career have had some sort of trouble. That is where I get involved and make sure to work out these areas. Just because you are having problems doesn't mean you should abandon our goals.
I really think that having CART will take care of most of these problems but if it doesn't then I am not open to find other ways to solution my daughter areas of difficult. Are you open finding solutions or you so set that your way is the right and only way? I am not like I am open to things.

Perhaps if she had had full access to the curriculum throughout her entire educational career, she would not be experiencing the problems that she is currently experiencing.

She is currently having problems because she doesn't have full access. In middle school she had an interpeter she still didn't have full access. Can interpeter give her better access then CART. I know of several deaf adults that only sign that prefer CART over an interpeter so that they can know everything that does on in a situation.

Obviously, you are functioning under some misconceptions. Bi-Bi is actually a moderate position. And once again, it is not based on my opinion alone, but rather empirical evidence and the assertions of deaf educators who are frustrated with the system of educating deaf children that has, and continues to be, genrally unsuccessful when compared to their hearing peers.

I am sure there lots of kids that were orally that were not successful but again I think it goes back to the parents and they approach things and are they fully informed of all the different ways, which in my case I know I was can't speak for other parents

Again you are judging the road that we have taken. I can accept that you have taken the signing road with your child, it was your choice, why can't you accept it that this is the road we have taken and we are happy with our decisions. I completely understand that oral is not right for everyone and that some parents kept their children too long on the oral path when they should change. She has accept who she is. She is young deaf teenager that was raised orally. She knows that if she wants to drop her voice she can do it at anytime with our blessing if that is what she wants. A couple of her deaf friends that go to high school with other deaf have told me that they wish they could talk like Samantha. It is a personal and we need to respect other peoples choices.

I have to tell you how much I have enjoyed reading your posts. Our daughter is 20, going into her junior year of college, a ci user and was raised orally. She was always mainstreamed and has been exposed to the oral deaf community since we discovered she was deaf.

My wife is also a Spec Ed teacher and when you describe the work you do with your children it was similar to what my wife did with our daughter-each night basically going over what was taught each day and helping her. My daughter is not a student, never was, never will be but she is a hard worker and that paid off in HS and now in college as she is a Dean's List student.

What I do not enjoy reading is your struggles with your school district, and if there is anything I can do, please let me know, you can pm me as I know a family that fought for and got CART in HS and one that did so in college.

Our school district is very small one, about 15-1600 kids k-12 and this a suburb of NYC. We were the first ci kid not only they had but our county had. We went into our first IEP meeting loaded for bear with our S&L therapist and the head of her then oral program however our district's philosophy was that they wanted to make it work and wanted to see her graduate from her HS with her friends and so, we had cooperation and not fights for all those years. Not everything worked perfectly but there was a willingness to make it work. In the early years her S&L therapist or TOD would explain to the class what a ci was and how it worked and how she heard. Every year my wife would meet at the beginning of every year with all her teachers and go through what they needed to do, what she heard, did not hear etc.

I hope all goes well in your battle with the district, there are people out here who either experienced something you might need help on or know others who have so shout out for I am sure they will answer your call!

Welcome aboard!
Rick

To the mom,

I'm happy the oral method works for your kids, and you're allowing them to learn sign if they choose to. but remember that there are people here who were raised orally like your daughter, and they didn't have the support that you give your daughter. I was raised mainly orally, but I learned to sign as i grew up. In Middle and High School, I had interpreters. My mother was not fully involved in my school life, and i'm sure a lot of people here had the same problem.

Nobody is condemning you for allowing your child to have every advantage.. But there are those of us who are against children growing up in fully oral settings. You have to understand it's the scars that some of us carry with us throughout our lives that make us the way we are and make us condemn the oral approach. While we understand it's your choice to raise your child the way you choose, we just have a different point of view.

I don't know what interpreters you have spoken to, but this is completely innacurate information. And everyone misses some information--hearing, deaf, everyone. The issue is degree.

I wish you luck in your legal battles. It will take a great deal of focus and energy that could perhaps be applied to finding a solution that would offer increased educational benefit, rather than maintenance of the status quo.

I actually have spoken to many interpeters in order to get ready for my daughter's due process case, in several different areas including middle school, high school, and college level interpeters. Plus I spoke to at least 5 deaf adults and asked them what they thought about interpeters vs CART. I also spoke to several deaf teachers. They all said the same thing that there is not a sign for every spoken word. Plus an interpeters cannot interpret everything being said by teachers especially when students speak at the same time. A CART provider must type at least 220 minute per minute. So a CART provider will be able to capture much more of what is being said. In addition we will have a trancript of the class so this would help reviewing things. Can an interpeter do that?

Are you right we will all miss information and what I am trying is to close that gap of missing information. Having deaf student I don't why you don't seem to understand the advantage of having CART over an interpeter. Is it just because we are oral.

I agree--WE do need to keep an open mind. I, too have seen success and failure in both realms--however, I have seen proportionately more success in children who have been exposed to both sign and speech--and the greatest amount of success is within the population of deaf children of deaf parents who have been exposed to sign from birth. I am pro whatever works.

When TC is approached as a special education methodolgy, it is being poluted, and does not create the atmosphere that was intended.

I completely agree with you that deaf children of deaf parent have the most success especially if the deaf parents came from a family very involved and also come from deaf grandparents. No doubt in mind, these cases are the ideal. My children were born to hearing parents and no ther deaf people in our family. I chose for them be oral but not just because. I mind an inform decision. I looked at all of my options. We were lucky that we did have options.

You really don't pro whatever works. You seem pro whatever if there is some kind of sign involved.

Spelling is correct. And do you agree that these problems are cumulative, and begin not in high school, but simply become evident at around that point?

You are right that problems are cumulative. As an oral teacher of the deaf and working side by side with TC classess. The failures in both areas are generally because of lack parent involvement. Also many times because parents are in denial.
I have been very involved from day one. Every couple of months in beginning I would ask the teachers if it was time to introduce signs. My children have been very successful orally and if you meet them on the street you would never they were deaf.

Oh looking back, all these problems started little by little starting when I was in kindergarten..I still even remember moments in my kindergarten class feeling confused cuz there was a game in which the teacher turned the lights off and she would call out a word and in order for the lights to go back on the class had to spell the word correctly or something like that. I remember sitting in the dark feeling anxiety..it still sticks to my mind like yesterday..

I seem to have more bad memories of my childhood than good ones..people used to say that I focused too much on the negativity but I tried so hard to remember the good times but I guess they must have faded away and I no longer remember them. Well, makes sense cuz I think there was some traumatic experiences constantly going on...who knows?

I have heard this so much for deaf people that they had bad memories of their childhood and I have seen deaf children isolated. And I can tell you my children are not like that. I have this amazing bond with my children. And they talk to me about everything. Especially with my daughter I have told her over and over again if she wants to go back to her old high school but she says they do expect too much for her and she does not want to go back. You talk about how I should encourage her. to right decision. I feel she is.

I am sure that if she wanted to go back to her old high school with her deaf friends and I didn't let her you would probable say that I am not respecting her deafness. So probable in your eyes I can make no right decision.

I have heard this so much for deaf people that they had bad memories of their childhood and I have seen deaf children isolated. And I can tell you my children are not like that. I have this amazing bond with my children. and I have a great bond with my mother but she had a hard life raising us as a single mother and I gotta say that she did a gREAT job with us. I was referring to my childhood memories of SCHOOL..my childhood memories out of school are great. Just in school, it seems the bad memories outrank the good ones. Sorry for not being clear about what I meant by bad childhool memories.

And they talk to me about everything. Especially with my daughter I have told her over and over again if she wants to go back to her old high school but she says they do expect too much for her and she does not want to go back. You talk about how I should encourage her. to right decision. I feel she is.

Her old high school expects too much for her? How? If she is not comfortable there, then no need to force her to go there but as long as she feels confident in herself and not ashamed of who she is.

I am sure that if she wanted to go back to her old high school with her deaf friends and I didn't let her you would probable say that I am not respecting her deafness. So probable in your eyes I can make no right decision.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry that u feel that way but I dont remember criticizing u for your decisions nor saying that u dont make right decisions. Pls show me where did I say that? Thanks

I will tell u why I am against the oral-ONLY view or approach cuz I have seen too many children being deprived of language due to not being able to pick up on spoken language. That's why I am a strong believer in the Bi-Bi approach cuz in the educational setting, we are providing both languages to guarantee that NO child is left out or that the child is not being deprived of a full access to language. At the same time, the children are getting exposed to spoken language to meet their auditory/oral skills if they have the abilities. We have the best of both so why dont all schools adopt that? What's the harm in that?

U say about lack of parental involvement..well, at least in the BiBi approach, the child is getting access to language as opposed to none if they are placed in the oral only approach and they were unable to pick up on spoken language. I would rather not put any deaf/hoh at risk for not picking up on spoken language and then having to transfer them into "special" ed classes in which they are finally exposed to sign language at a later age after the formative years for language development has passed. Yes, the oral-only approach can work for some children but in my view, the educational approach SHOULD work for all children. That's why I dont believe in the oral-only approach cuz it doesnt work for ALL children and I see too many children struggling with literacy skills because they were unable to pick up on spoken language during the critical years of language development and when it was discovered that they were falling behind, sign language gets introduced to them but years of language development has been lost. With the BIBI approach, by using both languages, nobody is being deprived of language access or development and still can develop their oral skills.

Going back to parental involvement

My brother and I were born profoundly deaf..both with the same dB loss..I was able to pick up on spoken language and went to public school..excelled in academics, which I have no idea how cuz I missed out on so much...my brother was placed in the same oral only program but he was unable to pick up on spoken language like I was despite having the same level of hearing loss...but the teachers who were so set on their views kept telling my mom to have patience.."he will catch up..." and more BS...but when my brother went to kindergarten, he was so lost and had so many tantrums due to the huge communication barrier so my mom sent him to the deaf school in which he flourished. Since he missed out a lot in language development during the first 5 years of his life, he struggled with reading and writing and to this day, he has to work hard at writing well. For me, it was the social-emotional development that the oral only approach failed me in. My mom was very much involved in our education but she is not a miracle worker..

I am not condemning u or whatever but I just dont believe in this approach for reasons stated above and another reason too...I have yet seen or heard of any oral-only education for the deaf having deaf people as teachers or aides. It is all hearing people. Where are the deaf adult role model for these kids?

This is about the views and philosophies of the oral-only approach not about u as a mother. I just dont agree with those views or philosophies at all. I just would never tell a parent what they can or they can do for their children on where to place them. All I can just offer my views and my reasons for not agreeing to this view and up to the parents to keep them in mind or totally reject them.

Makes absolute sense. And it makes me admire you all the more for the things that you have accomplished and the fact that you have dedicated your teaching career to trying to prevent another deaf child suffering the same consequences. I think that is the message we are both trying to give: these things need to be addressed from day one, not when a kid is 16 or 17 years old. It is easier to prevent the problems than it is to try and correct them after they have occurred.

I wonder if Shel had accomphish all she had just using oral language would you also admire as much.
I also think Shel it is great everything Shel has been able to do but I would go a next further say it would great if had done it all in just by using her oral skills or just be using ASL or using a combination of both.

and I try that but most of the parents just disregard me as negative or biased and continue to put their children in the same kinds of situations ...that's why I feel I am wasting my time sometimes..

As a parent I would never disregard what a deaf adult has gone through. I though would take everything with a grain of salt because I know what most people in the deaf community would think of me. I know that most people in the deaf community would think that I am not accepting my children for who they are and what I would say that yes I have accept my children for who they and am trying to do the best by them. Just because you had an awful time being raised orally does not mean my children will.

I wonder if Shel had accomphish all she had just using oral language would you also admire as much.
I also think Shel it is great everything Shel has been able to do but I would go a next further say it would great if had done it all in just by using her oral skills or just be using ASL or using a combination of both.

I am not comfortable using my oral skills anymore cuz too many communication breakdowns and that it is just hard work for me to keep communication going. I use sign language 95% of the time in my life now. The only time I use my oral skills are when I am with my husband's family or with my family...otherwise it is all in a signing environment because I am fully involved and not missing out on anything.

I cant imagine teaching not using sign language and having to use lipreading skills all day. It would just burn me out cuz it is so much stress on my eyes and I would be a nervous wreck trying to ensure that my speaking is clear enough for all the students to understand me. I cant imagine doing that 8 hours 5 days a week. I would collapse from exhaustion. Teaching using sign language feels so much more comfortable for me and I have such an easy dialogue with my students on a daily basis. Rarely there are any communication breakdowns. I grew up dealing with communication breakdowns constantly so I have had enough.

Thanks though..:)

As a parent I would never disregard what a deaf adult has gone through. I though would take everything with a grain of salt because I know what most people in the deaf community would think of me. I know that most people in the deaf community would think that I am not accepting my children for who they are and what I would say that yes I have accept my children for who they and am trying to do the best by them. Just because you had an awful time being raised orally does not mean my children will.

I wasnt talking about u...talking about out there in my professional and personal life. It is a constant battle and one I get so tired of.

Almost all of my deaf friends who have been raised orally said they wished they had sign language or deaf friends growing up. At least your children have their deaf friends and have a balance of both signing and oral. I am sure if I had both, maybe my experience wouldnt be as awful. Like Bearbeauty said, many of us had such different experiences that left scars in each of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back