Your identity Your attitude

That is a misperception. Most follow the state mandated educational curriculum that the public schools have to follow.

Well, both of Millneck School f/t Deaf and East Islip High School under the Cleary program for Deaf/HH students are taught by IEP education and they take RCT and IEP exams to pass in order to get the IEP diploma or local high school diploma. I didn't need one of these kind of exam at my public hearing school because I was mainstreamed with all of the other hearing kids. The Regents exams are mandatory in New York State through the New York State Education Department to pass. I passed all of the Regents exams and had received the Regents High School diploma. It was 13-14 years ago. I also had taken SATs as well.

Regents Examinations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Katz4life-
While i get it that you wanted receive good quality education -
jesus, the abuse you suffered there must have been horrible!
I am actually terrified at what you wanted to do, thinking that maybe you were just a hairline from thinking to doing :eek3:

have you ever talked to anybody about your ordeal at school while it was happening? teachers, counselors? even your family?
did anybody helped you?
My gosh, I am so sorry I'm in tears for you!

What is however very encouraging, how some of the people realized years later how bad and traumatic their behavior toward you was,
and seeked your forgiveness. even became your friends! :)

I hope that helped you to realize that kids are just cruel, and quite often they later grow into thoughtful adults
who are sorry for their former behavior.
9 times out of 10, as kids they don't have good example at home, their parents doesn't teach them good values, offer no guidance -
you know the drill.

I am so sorry for your ordeal, and hope you can rise above old traumas,
and have a happy life now, forget about your past schools suffering.

Deaf Tim - but you do realize you have every right to deaf culture and
chose whatever means of communication you think you prefer?
You and only YOU decide.
Not your parents, not your priest, or rabbi,
or whoever your spiritual guide is, not your friends, neighbor, doctor, policeman, etc -nobody. Just YOU.

I hope by now, you found your true identity :)

Fuzzy

Yeah, it was possible for me to do the unthinkable action only if I found the sufficent budget to buy weapons that was being available to me. None of my family and close friends owned the guns. Lucky me. LOL. My brother suggested me not to report the situation to the prinicipals, otherwise they would call me cry-baby. I was not important to them though. Being a scapegoat was kind of my reputation at school--it's like "too fucking bad that you are Deaf and you caused too much trouble for us to begin with and we didn't want to do anything to help you through what these students have done to you" They blamed on me that I was the one who started th shit with other hearing kids. Sheesh. Few times the prinicpal gave the hearing kid 1 day Time Out detention and I got 2 days detention for fighting. Wtf? Yeah, my mother found the Deaf private counselor from out of town (she's oralie) and knows ASL but I didn't trust her because she broke the ethic code. It was not worth it seeing her again. I guess writing journals by pen and also typing in my deadjournal.com helped me out a little. *shrugs*

EDIT: Oh, and about my graduation day, after receiving my HS diploma and I spit my saliva in my hand before walking toward to my asshole ignorant prinicpal and shaking his hand.

My gosh, Katz... (shakes head)
I am so sorry.
I hope with time, the cold anger which seem to still linger some, will dissolve.
Good luck with your fresh, after-school life!

Fuzzy

Well, both of Millneck School f/t Deaf and East Islip High School under the Cleary program for Deaf/HH students are taught by IEP education and they take RCT and IEP exams to pass in order to get the IEP diploma or local high school diploma. I didn't need one of these kind of exam at my public hearing school because I was mainstreamed with all of the other hearing kids. The Regents exams are mandatory in New York State through the New York State Education Department to pass. I passed all of the Regents exams and had received the Regents High School diploma. It was 13-14 years ago. I also had taken SATs as well.

Regents Examinations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That doesn't mean they are not using the state curriculum. It just means they offer accommodation in testing procedure.

I have never heard of IEP exams or IEP education. Sure, the kids do have IEPs, but they only list goals, needs, services, etc. The IEPs themselves are not the basis for making an exam. The teachers decide what to test on the exams. I am assuming perhaps you mean alternative state testing that replaces the exams.

That doesn't mean they are not using the state curriculum. It just means they offer accommodation in testing procedure.

Yeah in the last year I was teaching, one of my kids went for alternative testing while all the others took the regular exams. Those kids did have accommodations where needed.

I apologize for being off topic, but Kristy I went gaga over your kitty in the avatar!
awwwwwwww the kitty, the tiny protruding teef!!! awww I am a mush!

I had a kitty like that, but sadly it died hit by a car :(

Love, love love the kitty!

Fuzzy

I have never heard of IEP exams or IEP education. Sure, the kids do have IEPs, but they only list goals, needs, services, etc. The IEPs themselves are not the basis for making an exam. The teachers decide what to test on the exams. I am assuming perhaps you mean alternative state testing that replaces the exams.

Yeah in the last year I was teaching, one of my kids went for alternative testing while all the others took the regular exams. Those kids did have accommodations where needed.

Right. The IEP will determine what accommodations will be made for testing, and that is all.

Growing up, I hated my deafness and anything to do with it, like ASL or Deaf events because I was told over and over again that I was special or smart to have good speech skills. I was in an all-hearing environment so the environment enabled me to become delusional thinking I was a broken hearing person so I thought if I practiced "hearing" with my hearing aids and perfecting my speech skills, I would be just like them. Failed miserably over and over and over and over and over again leading me to depression and self-harm.

Then, I learned ASL and learned more about Deaf culture.

After that, I was able to finally love myself for who I am and accept my deafness. Finally, at the age of 28 years old ..took me 3 years starting with my first ASL class at 25 years old.

Now, I am a proud Deaf person and not one bit ashamed of it. Also, I have come to despite audists or the audist views with a strong strong passion.

Growing up, I hated my deafness and anything to do with it, like ASL or Deaf events because I was told over and over again that I was special or smart to have good speech skills. I was in an all-hearing environment so the environment enabled me to become delusional thinking I was a broken hearing person so I thought if I practiced "hearing" with my hearing aids and perfecting my speech skills, I would be just like them. Failed miserably over and over and over and over and over again leading me to depression and self-harm.

Then, I learned ASL and learned more about Deaf culture.

After that, I was able to finally love myself for who I am and accept my deafness. Finally, at the age of 28 years old ..took me 3 years starting with my first ASL class at 25 years old.

Now, I am a proud Deaf person and not one bit ashamed of it. Also, I have come to despite audists or the audist views with a strong strong passion.

"Special" is my least favourite word in the english language. and yep yep, am of like mind with what you said.

That is a misperception. Most follow the state mandated educational curriculum that the public schools have to follow.

Since when did school standards mean anything? All public schools follow their state regulation, yet a very pitiful amount are ready to move on to the next grade, does that mean state standards are a sufficient medium for deciding whether a school has good education or not? Absolutely not.

Since when did school standards mean anything? All public schools follow their state regulation, yet a very pitiful amount are ready to move on to the next grade, does that mean state standards are a sufficient medium for deciding whether a school has good education or not? Absolutely not.

What would you prefer be used as a standard? And you are talking about standards of learning. The rest of us are talking about designated curriculum. Just because a deaf school uses state mandated curriculum does not mean that they also accept state standards for learning.:cool2: Two very different issues.

What would you prefer be used as a standard? And you are talking about standards of learning. The rest of us are talking about designated curriculum. Just because a deaf school uses state mandated curriculum does not mean that they also accept state standards for learning.:cool2: Two very different issues.

There is no "single" factor that makes a school perfect, but amongst the many factors there are, a short list includes

Course Selections
Opportunities for research and extracurricular
Quality of teachers
Student body
Matriculation to college by previous years (they are a valuable indicator if anything)
Performance in competitions and standardized tests
# of Students to teacher ratio.

A standard is rather useless if every member follows it, which is why having american citizenship would not be enough to be hired for every job (as there is a significant amount of "americans" who follow this "standard".)

I'm sure some deaf schools will be better than another school in some of these categories, and it depends on location and area as well I imagine.

I will make the same argument for "standard of learning" which is a 2nd issue, but same arguments hold.

State standards are not very comprehensive, and few colleges would be happy with the dumbed down standards that most public schools have. For example in NYC, in order to pass the Math Regents (a NY state wide exam) you can skip both long answer questions, and get just 50% of the questions right and still pass. It's not much different in most other states. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here, please clarify for me.

How did I change my attitude?

I've accepted that I'm deaf.

I may consider myself HOH sometimes because I speak and hear good, but in general... I'll always be deaf.

There will always be challenges out there, not just with the hearing people... but with the deaf people as well.

Hearing people don't always understand my situation. Deaf people don't always accept me as "Deaf". So, I'm pretty much rejected or misunderstood in both worlds.

So, I'm not going to fight it. I can fight it... and beat it, but with only one person. Then gotta do it all over again.

If a hearing person can't understand me, I'll change my approach and again... until they understand me. After that, I'm not going to bother going back if they're not going to improve.

There is no "single" factor that makes a school perfect, but amongst the many factors there are, a short list includes

Course Selections
Quality of teachers
Student body
Matriculation to college by previous years (they are a valuable indicator if anything)

A standard is rather useless if every member follows it, which is why having american citizenship would not be enough to be hired for every job (as there is a significant amount of "americans" who follow this "standard".)

I'm sure some deaf schools will be better than another school in some of these categories, and it depends on location and area as well I imagine.

I will make the same argument for "standard of learning" which is a 2nd issue, but same arguments hold.

State standards are not very comprehensive, and few colleges would be happy with the dumbed down standards that most public schools have. For example in NYC, in order to pass the Math Regents (a NY state wide exam) you can skip both long answer questions, and get just 50% of the questions right and still pass. It's not much different in most other states. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here, please clarify for me.

Chock full of fallicious comparisons, and still did not answer my question.

My chock full list are the factors of what should determine the standard, ma'am. care to explain why you called it a chock full either? please analyze each criteria and say what it was silly, and include perhaps factors I left out.

Of course this forum is "alldeaf" obviously most of us are deaf. I have noticed some of you who have been struggling to embrace your identity as a deaf or HOH. I can understand how some of you have been going through the different experiences than some of us. So I have noticed some of you finally accept who you are and adjust to the idea of being a deaf. How did you change your attitude toward to being deaf?

For me? I was born profoundly deaf. I noticed how different i was about 10 and did observe hearing people and deaf people. I understood and accepted myself for who i am. I have moved on and enjoy my journey through life. Sure, i know everyone know life is not perfect. :)

Lastly, Some of you who do not accept yourself who you are. I hope some of you who can work on yourself for your own,for better, not letting anyone get in the way such as discounting the value of your opinions about being deaf. for example, if anyone say, "aw i am sorry that you do not understand me because you lost your hearing or you don't speak right or ASL is unnecessary or whatever". It's THEIR problem, not yours! you know why? you are not alone, open your eyes and look around where others who are the same as you do. Change your attitude into the positive vibes and think you can do it then you can do it for your own, not anyone else.

my question is

how did you change your attitude for better when you learn about your hearing loss?

To be honest with you I aint sure when i came to accepting my hearing loss at 3 months old. But over time i was growing up, things were difficult which mean learning how to speak english and had to learn Exact English Sign then ASL which got me pulled back in school only once. But i learn to pick up quickly as i got older plus i struggles with my bad situation with so call family at same time. I had to accept who I am and where i am coming from. Being Hearing Impaired doesnt change it at all. I am ok with it. I can communicate with my relatives orally and i can sign to few of my deaf friends. I have supports from relatives and friends as i go along find myself where i am suppose to be. At times i would be feel stuck in between worlds and sometimes i interprets. But Like my Great Aunt says, we all are unique in our special way. Dont change for anybody else.

It was my personal choice for the better education. No offense but not many Deaf schools have the same education as public hearing schools do.

Course Selections
Quality of teachers
Student body

Very good points, Shushugah. It's pretty obvious that regardless of a shared curriculum, there's going to be an enormous difference in the education provided by schools based on variables such as those you mention.

Katz4life, while it's true that there are Deaf schools that don't provide the level of education you can get at an average hearing school, that's not the case for all. I know of at least one Deaf school that surpasses the average by far. Most states have indices that include their deaf schools among hearing schools in rankings across a set of standards that you can check. Before making a decision about a deaf school, of course you'd have to assess the school against your local school, and any other private options you might have available, and more specifically than what you see on general ranking, assess them based on what they can provide to your deaf child.

My chock full list are the factors of what should determine the standard, ma'am. care to explain why you called it a chock full either? please analyze each criteria and say what it was silly, and include perhaps factors I left out.

None of it is even slightly applicable to the public educational system. That is why it is chock full of fallicious comparisons. And unreasonable suggestions, as well. You are failing to account for all of those variables that do not, and can not exist in all schools. Does that make that school any less effective? Of course not. You are measuring success by the standard of perfection, and perfection exists no where in this world. In addition, you are measuring success by a very narrow critieria, such as matriculation to college. Life will show you how to look at everything that falls in between your black and white perspective. Give it time.

None of it is even slightly applicable to the public educational system. That is why it is chock full of fallicious comparisons. And unreasonable suggestions, as well. You are failing to account for all of those variables that do not, and can not exist in all schools. Does that make that school any less effective? Of course not. You are measuring success by the standard of perfection, and perfection exists no where in this world. In addition, you are measuring success by a very narrow critieria, such as matriculation to college. Life will show you how to look at everything that falls in between your black and white perspective. Give it time.

I don't think I said anywhere that these factors all had to be perfect, or that all standards were necessary here. College matriculation is extremely important, because there is absolutely no use to learn advanced courses or make a legal argument if you are not looking to use it for professional life.

I understand that with your academic shortcomings you are going to have a different view on what school is for. Please do not try to act like your views are appropriate for everyone, especially those who are academically capable of it. I am not advocating my views on everyone either, but for Ms. Katz I think my criteria for a good school best describe why many deaf schools would not work out.

Back