Your identity Your attitude

I seriously love all your stories, made me think of an idea.

Wouldn't it be cool if all our stories were in a book? So when there are times that we feel down, lonely, angry we could go back and read this book of feelings and experience?

I know just by reading everyone's stories I don't feel as alone as I normally would feel. :)

I seriously love all your stories, made me think of an idea.

Wouldn't it be cool if all our stories were in a book? So when there are times that we feel down, lonely, angry we could go back and read this book of feelings and experience?

I know just by reading everyone's stories I don't feel as alone as I normally would feel. :)

isn't there a book like this out somewhere in bookstores or something? Or better yet....show all of this on TV show! :P (switched at birth, anyone?)

well the only reason why I suggested the book idea is so you can always have a piece of comfort to carry with you everywhere.

I've practically been deaf all my life, so being deaf is all I know. I've grown up knowing I was deaf and went to a school for the deaf so I couldn't really hide and not accept that I was deaf. Diagnosed at 9 months, hearing aids at 1 year, grew up with hearing aids, got my implant at 10yrs. There are times where I wish medication never destroyed my hearing but I know we can't time travel plus I wouldn't be here today without those meds.

Isn't it great how people suppport each other in their experiences here?

Well, I grew up a normal happy deaf child up until I made my decision to transfer to mainstream school from deaf school at the age of 9, starting to live in a hearing world nearly full-time and was clueless when it comes to hearing kids at school. I had never expected a lot of bullying, poking fun, being picked on by hearing kids from the beginning. Hearing kids bullying had gotten worsen off even more when I entered middle school. Went through with it during high school, the bullying was pretty much brutal. Their actions had affected my self-esteem for being deaf. I was nearly kicked out from school for too many fightings with hearing students. The principals, superintendent and board of education thought I was mental. They did not understand one damn thing what I've been through. Those kids started shits on me as always from the beginning. I wasn't allowed to fight back? My fucking ass..even ignoring them for weeks and months did not help at all! They thought I was better off institutionalized at another special school for deaf/hh with emotional and behavorial problems in Long Island or going to Deaf school at Millneck. I refused to let them to force me to leave my mainstream high school where all of my siblings had graduated from. There were people off-campus who supported me and we had a conference with board of trustees, board of education, and the superintedent. I won the case against them and I was allowed to stay in public high school until upon graduation day. I had to manage to avoid another fighting with other hearing peeps. My self-esteem was kind of so low because of them, I was being very paradoxic about my deafness self. When I hang out with other deaf kids and friends outside my school and my home area, my self-esteem was little more normal. To today I am still proud to be Deaf no matter what.

I ran into severe hearing loss when I was about 3 years old. My parents and my audiologist couldn't quite figure out how i became deaf. At first, they thought it was a disorder called: Autoimmune Hearing Loss or other sometimes known as Auto Inner Ear Disease. AIED is a rare autoimmune disorder, meaning that the immune system attacks a part of the body. This attack on the inner ear results in a rapid hearing loss. Sometimes people with this condition also experience balance problems. Which is why you can probably notice i am sometimes clumsy, but not always. I got my first pair of hearing aids when i was about the age of 4. I started having intense speech therapy starting at age 4 as well. I was on medicine called Steroids. Not the muscle-building kind of medicine, its a medicine that is suppose to help you get some of your hearing back. But it doesn't always work for people. I was pretty lucky at the time. I had got some of my hearing back in my right ear, but even up until now, i still don't really remember anything of when i used to be hearing before i was 3.

So then fast forward to age 6, I went to Horace Mann school, where i met my best friends.I stayed at Horace Mann from 2nd grade up to 4th grade.At age 8, I gotten my first cochlear implant on my left side.I wanted to be able to hear and learn new things. I was curious. Even with a cochlear implant, I am still deaf when i take it off. I am hearing when i put it on, but I am still a deaf person inside.At the beginning of 4th grade; I went to st.Rita's school for the deaf. St.Rita's is a pretty strict school. We had to wear uniforms, wake up super early than your normal high school time and get home late. I had to get up about 4AM and i don't usually get home around 4:30 from school. I didn't like the idea of getting home so late. Because i never really got to see my family. I left St.Rita school for the deaf in the middle of my 4th grade year, and went back to mainstreaming schools.

I didn't have that much friends back then when I went back to mainstreaming schools. People didn't know me all that well, and had judged behind my back before. I was miserable back then. As I entered Middle school, I started doing the centerville band. I decided to take up percussion, because it was more easy for me since i was deaf. I was pretty excited learning how to play percussion. So then in the 7th grade, my history teachers wanted to do a September 11th memorial project. They had us do community work for whatever length of time and make a huge chain, and sign our name on a huge plastic banner to send to New York city to the fire department where they risked their lives to ground zero. They asked me and my interpreter to sign the U.S constitution to the whole middle school that day, and teach the middle school how to do that. I was pretty proud. Because then, people started to get to know me. People were asking me a bunch of questions about me being deaf and sign language. I felt like I was representing the deaf community. And i got to do it again in the 8th grade. My old history teacher recorded that day and made a DVD of it for future middle school students to watch for Constitution day. That day, i won't even forget at all.

As i was getting into high school, I was thinking about joining the Centerville Jazz Band. My aunt, who was sick with cancer at the time wanted me to do it. She was basically the one why i got into the jazz band. I have tried out for the Centerville Front Ensemble, or known as the Pit. I was really happy that i got into the band. My aunt was ecstatic for me. The only part that i was sad about is when she was sick with cancer, she never really came to see me. I really wanted her to see me play on my vibraphone at the time. I didn't understand what was going on and why my mom kept going over to my aunt's house to take care of her. But then my mom explained to me why, and i immediately understood. At the end of January, my aunt lisa passed away with cancer. I was really sad about it because my aunt lisa was one of my closest aunts. I never wanted to stop doing the band, because she was the one that wanted me to do it, and now, I want to keep doing it, I love doing the band. I love having to challenge myself trying to memorize 10 pages or so for a 10 minute show.

During high school, I was becoming more and more known. People were wanting to learn sign language from me, asking me a bunch of questions, and so much more. I have been interviewed by BOA (Bands Of America) Music for all company, WGI (Winter Guard International), and featuring in a centerville drumline movie called Rhythm Generation which will come out soon hopefully. And, i was pretty surprised how people stood up for me when bad things happened to me. At age 16 years old in the winter i started losing my hearing. My audiologist and I don't know if it was my autoimmune disorder again, or it was my hearing aid caused by being in winter drumline--indoors. We tried protecting it, but it never worked. Up until now i have just got my 2nd implantation on my right ear. I now have a Nucleus 5. I'm a junior in Centerville High school, I have been playing the marimba for 2 years in the Centerville Fall and Winter Drumline and is teaching some hearing people how to sign. I'm proud of who I am. And I know some people are too. Nobody is really going to take that away from me. Being deaf is a part of who i am. And that's who i intend to be.

Wirelessly posted

I was born prematurely and severely-deaf to a hearing family. My parents were missionaries in Thailand throughout my early years so I was not diagnosed until the age of 11. I was fitted with hearing aids and my mother was told that I was only HoH and with hearing aids and my natural aptitude for lipreading - would do fine in mainstream school. Unbeknown to me or my family at the time, I had become yet another dhh 'guinea pig' of society. I did quite well in school academically because I loved learning - still do. Did not do so well socially at school because I was teased and belittled constantly by my classmates and even by one of my teachers. I did intensive speech therapy to iron out my profound lisp. But looking back I realise now that I basically taught myself as I had no accomodations except front row seat in class. I didn't know anything about sign language or Deaf schools or Deaf community growing up. I was raised oral. I struggled with values I had subconciously that seemed different to those around me making me quiet,subdued and shy around people I didn't know well. With those I knew well (mostly) adults, I was a social butterfly. As I grew into adulthood although speaking was not without effort (it is still the same now) I became well-practced at public speaking (orally) and became a Bible lecturer for over 25 years earning myself a Doctorate of Divinity. I had thought I had overcome all obstacles in my life through my hard work and effort. However just over 2 years ago, I got a nasty wake-up call. (That is story in itself) I realised then that I was just fooling myself and everyone around me. There was no way no matter what I did or tried could I ever pass as hearing. Being in Church circles it was the common belief that it was not God's will for anyone to be Deaf and that I should pray for healing. I myself know now that I no longer need to be ashamed of being Deaf because God has made me so for a Purpose. I am now learning sign language and am going voice-off as often as I am able (I speak only when working alongside my husband in public relations) I now uphold my Deaf values openly along with my spiritual values.
]I am a proud Deafie! (One day before long I will go completely voice-off and use my natural language (sign language) as my primary language. That is my goal and to also educate the ignorant about being Deaf and Deaf values.

Last edited:
. Hearing kids bullying had gotten worsen off even more when I entered middle school. Went through with it during high school, the bullying was pretty much brutal. Their actions had affected my self-esteem for being deaf. I was nearly kicked out from school for too many fightings with hearing students.

This is terrible, I am so very sorry. I wonder, though, why didn't you went back to school for the deaf, then?
Surely you wouldn't have to suffer all this anymore?

btw- what an excellent thread. Your stories are very moving!

Fuzzy

I really appreciate your time of explaining how your life as a childhood look like. I see some of your stories are something that I did not know that but i m glad you all are doing allright to the day. Definintely it helps a lot for others to be aware.

Well, I grew up a normal happy deaf child up until I made my decision to transfer to mainstream school from deaf school at the age of 9, starting to live in a hearing world nearly full-time and was clueless when it comes to hearing kids at school. I had never expected a lot of bullying, poking fun, being picked on by hearing kids from the beginning. Hearing kids bullying had gotten worsen off even more when I entered middle school. Went through with it during high school, the bullying was pretty much brutal. Their actions had affected my self-esteem for being deaf. I was nearly kicked out from school for too many fightings with hearing students. The principals, superintendent and board of education thought I was mental. They did not understand one damn thing what I've been through. Those kids started shits on me as always from the beginning. I wasn't allowed to fight back? My fucking ass..even ignoring them for weeks and months did not help at all! They thought I was better off institutionalized at another special school for deaf/hh with emotional and behavorial problems in Long Island or going to Deaf school at Millneck. I refused to let them to force me to leave my mainstream high school where all of my siblings had graduated from. There were people off-campus who supported me and we had a conference with board of trustees, board of education, and the superintedent. I won the case against them and I was allowed to stay in public high school until upon graduation day. I had to manage to avoid another fighting with other hearing peeps. My self-esteem was kind of so low because of them, I was being very paradoxic about my deafness self. When I hang out with other deaf kids and friends outside my school and my home area, my self-esteem was little more normal. To today I am still proud to be Deaf no matter what.

my school days was rough just like yours too, unlike some deafies i know here are far more lucky to have gone to a high school with a Deaf unit on the other side of town...teachers,parents,family just lied to me flatly saying im too good and hearing school is best thing for me (sic) but like they know anything ofc its not like they would not understood any of it from my side. Yet the worst thing i did to myself was to have believed them and believed that they understood. All this changed when I got older that I begin to see the differences with maturity which also brought to me that it is clear they clearly knew squat as I became more able to think for myself. In retrospect its hurts to see that they were just plain selfish to worry about their own lives counting money, leaving me behind, like how cruel was that to dupe me? to this day, i find it REAL hard to Not be jealous of hearies whos made it better than i do now when whereas in school i was better than them!, hate to say it left me quite bitter for a long long time. Only recently had I stopped worrying and moving forward.

Last edited:
This is a good thread. Thank you to everyone who has shared their stories so far :ty:

I'm still in the middle of working out my identity and attitude so I don't feel ready to write on the thread just yet. But I'm learning loads from it and see bits of my life in other peoples' stories here.

I really appreciate your time of explaining how your life as a childhood look like. I see some of your stories are something that I did not know that but i m glad you all are doing allright to the day. Definintely it helps a lot for others to be aware.

Especially any new parents that may be around. I hope frankiesmom is reading this thread. But from what I have seen of her, she probably is. She is really concerned with the deaf experience.

This is a good thread. Thank you to everyone who has shared their stories so far :ty:

I'm still in the middle of working out my identity and attitude so I don't feel ready to write on the thread just yet. But I'm learning loads from it and see bits of my life in other peoples' stories here.

Take your time. It is a journey, not a destination.

it is lots of behavior because reason identify reason otherwise proper, figure out think otherwise focus yourself grow up! if your suppose behavior reason proper control!

Back