What NOT to do in a freezing house

Only in an extreme situation may you do so, and only if your options are limited. I didn't call 911; I called a local number that was posted near the VP, and that's how I got their attention quicker. They showed up within the hour, and determined the situation was bad, and brought us here. They also notified the proper people, who then notified the proper person to repair the furnace, and they're attending to it now.

When I lived in Boston my apartment building lost heat and there was also a baby living in the building so I called the landlord in the middle of the night , the bastard did nothing . So I called the mayor's office as he said to call him at any time we needed help. I got hold of someone and they much of called my landlord back as we had someone working on the heater within a half hour! I made it very clear that baby needed to have heat . My condo did not check the heaters to made sure they're read for winter this year , our new manger it too stupid
and the trustees where stupider to hire the new company. I am trying to move out my condo.

I'm not for certain; I'm just making an educated guess, but I wouldn't know for certain, though, but here's what I DO know-- I would've gotten kicked out for not doing what I did. I'll need to read up on the laws of delaying getting immediate care, and what the consequences could be.

the above sounds odd to me,

i do admit i love the cold. the colder the better. i really really like the biggest hardest most nasty winter storm that can be tossed at me. i love the cold. i love a deserted city during a storm. i love to be in the middle of the worst winter storm that can be
its like a vacation for me
its my favorite weather.....
bring it on!!!!!!!
its the best weather around......
(sips fine scotch, lights cigarette)

i do admit i love the cold. the colder the better. i really really like the biggest hardest most nasty winter storm that can be tossed at me. i love the cold. i love a deserted city during a storm. i love to be in the middle of the worst winter storm that can be
its like a vacation for me
its my favorite weather.....
bring it on!!!!!!!
its the best weather around......
(sips fine scotch, lights cigarette)

What next? You would tell us to stay in house with broken AC over extreme heat in the summer and be survivalist. :lol:

When I lived in Boston my apartment building lost heat and there was also a baby living in the building so I called the landlord in the middle of the night , the bastard did nothing . So I called the mayor's office as he said to call him at any time we needed help. I got hold of someone and they much of called my landlord back as we had someone working on the heater within a half hour! I made it very clear that baby needed to have heat . My condo did not check the heaters to made sure they're read for winter this year , our new manger it too stupid
and the trustees where stupider to hire the new company. I am trying to move out my condo.

Good for you!! You stood up for that baby, and the idiot got chided for being careless. That'll teach him a lesson to NOT be that way.

As for your current condo manager-- I'll give him this name: "Dumb, Dumber, and Dumbest" for all he's done so far. He certainly earned that title.

It's illegal to have no heat in an apartment . You should call the health department and looks up tenants rights on line . Print 3 lists of all your rights . Mail one to the manger , one to yourself and DO NOT open it also write a letter saying the day ,time you spoke to the guy about having no heat and send with the list of your rights , send a letter to yourself too with the list of your rights. The stamp on the envelope made the letter a legal document , so do not open the letter you send to yourself but when you do get in the mail put in an bigger envelope and write what the letter is for. You can keep the 3 copy of tenant right by your phone , so if something happen again. You can say "I know what my rights are as a tenant " If your asked what are they you can check your list. If your heat get turn back on within reasonable time you DO NOT need to do all this. But if you loss your heat for along time and get no help write down everything you did. You need to keep a paper trailer . I always go over people heads when they do not act fast enough , it works but you do not made friends this way .

Yes, I did, but not to the jail cell area. More like a common area where officers catch a break and enjoy a snack and beverages. And you're right-- I probably should do that.

(Hey mods! Let's go ahead and do that, shall we? Keep the thread "What NOT to do in a freezing house and lose this thread subject line. Thank You!!)

I just saw on the news last a guy was on the run from the law , but he turned himself in because he was getting too cold outside. I wonder if people break a law to get out of the cold.

It's illegal to have no heat in an apartment . You should call the health department and looks up tenants rights on line . Print 3 lists of all your rights . Mail one to the manger , one to yourself and DO NOT open it also write a letter saying the day ,time you spoke to the guy about having no heat and send with the list of your rights , send a letter to yourself too with the list of your rights. The stamp on the envelope made the letter a legal document , so do not open the letter you send to yourself but when you do get in the mail put in an bigger envelope and write what the letter is for. You can keep the 3 copy of tenant right by your phone , so if something happen again. You can say "I know what my rights are as a tenant " If your asked what are they you can check your list. If your heat get turn back on within reasonable time you DO NOT need to do all this. But if you loss your heat for along time and get no help write down everything you did. You need to keep a paper trailer . I always go over people heads when they do not act fast enough , it works but you do not made friends this way .

Actually I got praise for doing what I did-- I had limited resources, and the people in charge of the house were asleep, but they got the messages, and they are currently working on the issue, and hopefully it'll be fixed and back up and running before the lunch hour is done. I'm keeping an eye out for certain information letting me know it's been repaired, but it may take a while, though-- it's already been 12 hours since the issue was brought to my attention, and they've been at it for at least 4 hours now.

Update: Yay!! The furnace has been repaired. After lunch, I'm gonna head home and grab some Z's. Been a LONG 12+ hours. Looking forward to getting back to my own toasty house again. :)

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

Tousi said:
An interpreter with hearing aids?????

Yup. Two of them. He actually had no problem understanding the commander.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

Frisky Feline said:
did you sleep yet?

As soon as it's nice and toasty I will. Temps are still going back up to where they're supposed to be, as it's 58 now.

An interpreter with hearing aids?????

my interpreter for my schooling years was deaf herself. She really taught herself how to listen with her hearing aids when she was growing up, so she did really well with hearing aids and was able to interpret for us deaf students. She was my interpreter from K-12, and is still a very dear friend of mine. She is now considering a CI in one ear but still able to use the phone with the other ear. it's possible. :)

Back