What NOT to do in a freezing house

What is one option that gone? police officer, firemen?

I haven't gotten that far yet; I can only use these in an emergency, and it does not appear to be one at the moment, although I'll be keeping an eye on things to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

Chicago law says it's supposed to be a minimum of 66 degrees during the overnight hours. If this keeps up, I have options I can use, per the guidelines I found

Just handle the plm man,,,,,,you know what to do.
think it through
actually stop thinking about it and handle the plm.

Update-- called the local police department. See what happens.

If the house is managed by a property management company they should have a 24 hour emergency contact number to reach someone. The police may send a unit out to do a welfare check (when a unit is available) on the residents but that's probably what they'll end up doing is calling that 24 hour number or having dispatch do it one.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

ncff07 said:
If the house is managed by a property management company they should have a 24 hour emergency contact number to reach someone. The police may send a unit out to do a welfare check (when a unit is available) on the residents but that's probably what they'll end up doing is calling that 24 hour number or having dispatch do it one.

Yeah, but there may be a problem with the furnace here. The thermometer indicated it's operating, but it may be malfunctioning

Update: the police say the furnace isn't properly working, so they're gonna take us somewhere warmer until it gets fixed. Gonna be a long night tonight :(

Last edited:
No place warmer than a toasty police station and friendly officers.

First of all, if the furnace isn't properly running, and your house is toasty, but becomes a little chilly, this may be a sign of potential danger.

You should NEVER try and wave it off; do everything possible to resolve the problem. If that's not possible, try and exhaust as many options as you can.

In my case, I do not have the luxury of a 24-hour service, so I had to get creative, and one of my limited options did not work out, forcing me to call the local police department, and the officers who showed up said that the furnace wasn't properly working, and they deemed the conditions unsafe, and decided to bring us here to the Rogers Park station, where we'll be spending the rest of the night.

I met the commander; an awesome guy, and real friendly. He treated us well, and brought us drinks.

Steinhauer said:
Glad yo know you are safe.

Yeah, so am I, or we would've been dead. At the very least, we were sitting ducks.

Update: The furnace is currently undergoing emergency repairs, and it should be up and running by 7 AM, which is the deadline for it to be operational again. In the meanwhile, we're still here at the station, and it's 5:35 AM. As soon as we know it's up and running smoothly again, we'll head back home.

I would never thought of calling the cops for lack of heat. Interesting...

Only in an extreme situation may you do so, and only if your options are limited. I didn't call 911; I called a local number that was posted near the VP, and that's how I got their attention quicker. They showed up within the hour, and determined the situation was bad, and brought us here. They also notified the proper people, who then notified the proper person to repair the furnace, and they're attending to it now.

I'm guessing the CO levels were high which is why they removed you from the building. You're lucky it didn't happen while you were sleeping or you may not have awoken.
I don't know if there is a deaf friendly CO detector. If there is, you should get at least one for your place.

Back