What NOT to do in a freezing house

It certainly is, and had we not gotten out when we did, we likely would be in body bags this morning-- all five of us. Thanks to my housemate bringing attention to the matter, she potentially saved all of us.
I don't think young healthy adults would have died from the cold. Now, if there was a gas leak from the furnace, that could be a problem.

oh stop it.

Excuse me? 47 degrees in the house with a -6 outside? No thank you. I'll take warmth and safety than have my heart stopped cold. I'd like to live. Second time I've told you this.

Uh, yeah..... not with a 70-plus year old woman in the house. Had I not called, I would likely be facing reckless homicide or manslaughter charges, and I'm not gonna do that. It's not worth it. Better safe than sorry. I'm way smarter than that.
Was she having a health crisis? Or did she just need a little of your help to make her area cozy?

I don't think young healthy adults would have died from the cold. Now, if there was a gas leak from the furnace, that could be a problem.

That's what they're gonna find out. The thermostat was indicating it was operating, but the temps were dropping fast, cause when I had attention brought to me, the temps were at 53, but less than 3 hours later, it was 47, and still dropping.

Excuse me? 47 degrees in the house with a -6 outside? No thank you. I'll take warmth and safety than have my heart stopped cold. I'd like to live. Second time I've told you this.

Yes, 100 F with high heat index + house with broken AC = fatal from heat stroke.

Uh, yeah..... not with a 70-plus year old woman in the house. Had I not called, I would likely be facing reckless homicide or manslaughter charges, and I'm not gonna do that. It's not worth it. Better safe than sorry. I'm way smarter than that.

no even with a 70 year old women if you followed my easy points she too would survive. shit you had 5 humans int he house?
no way anyone would die of cold. to many warm bodies maintaining core temp. 5 people
damn
thats too easy......i thought it was maybe just you, alone, easy
5 people?
walk int he park.
i'm talking from experience in handling and making it through the cold. for what its worth. anyway. buy the boys in blue some donuts for the help. least they didn't shoot ya and thats a start

Was she having a health crisis? Or did she just need a little of your help to make her area cozy?

She's had health problems lately, which was cause for concern. That's good enough for me.

:wave:I'm very glad that at least you got some help,ChicagoBlue, and things may be more promising!

They are now, yes. Now I see this differently, and this experience has taught me plenty.

look man. if you are a healthy male in your age bracket (early 20s right) then believe me you, you will be able to take allot of extreme weather conditions and live. period. you need to push yourself. the colder the better. get out there, push yourself. be the only man in the city making a snowman when its -40
so what?
dress for it.
the 70 year old? then shes been through it before more then once.
the cold is one of the easiest things to handle with the human mind.
inside or out. being inside its easy.
heater not working? so out. turn the damn thing off. you got 5 people. thats way way way more then enough heat to last
you are a human being, you are on top of the food chain. you will survive!!!!
failure is not an option.
you can do it. i know you can. you can do it!!!!

look man. if you are a healthy male in your age bracket (early 20s right) then believe me you, you will be able to take allot of extreme weather conditions and live. period. you need to push yourself. the colder the better. get out there, push yourself. be the only man in the city making a snowman when its -40
so what?
dress for it.
the 70 year old? then shes been through it before more then once.
the cold is one of the easiest things to handle with the human mind.
inside or out. being inside its easy.
heater not working? so out. turn the damn thing off. you got 5 people. thats way way way more then enough heat to last
you are a human being, you are on top of the food chain. you will survive!!!!
failure is not an option.
you can do it. i know you can. you can do it!!!!

Me, early 20's? Better look at my profile again. I wish I could go that far back, and mend some of the injuries I've incurred over the years.

We do have what is called "Heat sweep". There are plenty of heating shelters around here, at least 7 locations, and bus ride to get there is free, paid for by city.

I am doing okay, my furnace works but off most of the time and only runs when my woodstove room reaches 92 degrees (Just FAN mode, no gas used), that way they keep my house toasty warm at 76-78 degrees even when outside is -5 degrees.

OFC CO2 alarm is very important.

Yes, don't worry about hoichi.

If you can't handle the extreme weather over broken furnace so go somewhere to get warm.

He can worry about himself, for all I'm concerned. I have bigger things to worry about than old-fashioned advice that's inadvisable in certain situations.

Now, as for extreme temps, I can handle the heat (I did grow up in Southern IL, where it's common), but the extreme cold is a different story.

We do have what is called "Heat sweep". There are plenty of heating shelters around here, at least 7 location, and bus ride to get there is free, paid for by city.

I am doing okay, my furnace works but off most of the time and only runs when my woodstove room reaches 92 degrees (Just FAN mode, no gas used), that way they keep my house toasty warm at 76-78 degrees even when outside is -5 degrees.

76-78 IS toasty. Comfortable, too. You could wear a short-sleeved shirt in that kind of heat.

Are you serious?

Topless is fine, and shorts too. LOL

Once I had my whole house hit 83 degrees, too much! That was first year with woodstove, trying to figure out most efficient way to keep my house warm using straight firewood. First year, fan were used 24 hours, that's not efficient(too much electricity used), so I add thermostat and other controls so that they run when needed and turned off when it is not needed. All we did was just shove logs in stove and when right temp hits everything takes over automatically.
This is my third year using woodstove. I enjoyed seeing dirty low utility bills!

76-78 IS toasty. Comfortable, too. You could wear a short-sleeved shirt in that kind of heat.

Are you serious?

I'm not for certain; I'm just making an educated guess, but I wouldn't know for certain, though, but here's what I DO know-- I would've gotten kicked out for not doing what I did. I'll need to read up on the laws of delaying getting immediate care, and what the consequences could be.

We do have what is called "Heat sweep". There are plenty of heating shelters around here, at least 7 locations, and bus ride to get there is free, paid for by city.

If I have to live in northern states or Rocky Mountain states, so I will get wood stove.

I think it will be overkill for mild winter in southern states, so natural gas seems more than enough to warm the house.

Me, early 20's? Better look at my profile again. I wish I could go that far back, and mend some of the injuries I've incurred over the years.

alright. change early 20s to mid 30s and its the same bargain man

Back