What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow yeah some people do have strange names, I met a woman at TaiChi, her name is Dawn, now thats an old fashioned name, you know 'as the sun rises" thats what is means, Dusk is when sun is setting...not common now, but there are a few...
Morning, however is even rarer id say, perhaps is she an Indian? (as sometimes they tend to keep their name-giving tradition going - to perserve some of their culture)

I must admit i like names like that, its give a persons somethig special meaning, its good better then boring "Fred" or "Sally" but then again we might have forgotten the original meanings of those names...
hmm, just food for thoughts :)
Cheers
cool, I like it too! not fan of common names lol (sorry people!) people go :roll: :roll: at me when I tell them my pets' names. :D I know a lot of people with surnames that mean something .. such as Bell, Corn, Little, Strong, Peace .. weird though! I do like Dawn too. but MORNING? never thought there'd be one! no idea if she's partly indian...definitely doesn't look like one, she's totally white and has bright red-orangish hair. I think I'm going see her again and would like to ask! :hmm:

I learned that even at my age-- my mom still knows how to upset me... maybe 'hurt my feelings' is a better way to say it... and I learned where her priorities are and it made me sad :(

I learned that even at my age-- my mom still knows how to upset me... maybe 'hurt my feelings' is a better way to say it... and I learned where her priorities are and it made me sad :(

I'm sorry to hear that. I've always had problems with my mother and I've come to realize that it's not my fault that things are like that with my mother and she has unresolved issues and I end up bearing the brunt sometimes. :hug:

I'm sorry to hear that. I've always had problems with my mother and I've come to realize that it's not my fault that things are like that with my mother and she has unresolved issues and I end up bearing the brunt sometimes. :hug:

Yeah sort of learning that-- she's totally changed since my dad died last year and she moved in w/her new 'boyfriend/whatever you call him'... oh well, she's the one losing out on watching her grandson grow up.

call me a prude, or cold hearted; but anyone (even blood relative family) that make me feel angry all the time or bad about my self- I stay the heck away. Why subject myself to that BS? We can all make someone angry one time or another whether on accident or purpose, but those who always seem to hurt your feelings or rude to you........FORGET THOSE LOSERS

call me a prude, or cold hearted; but anyone (even blood relative family) that make me feel angry all the time or bad about my self- I stay the heck away. Why subject myself to that BS? We can all make someone angry one time or another whether on accident or purpose, but those who always seem to hurt your feelings or rude to you........FORGET THOSE LOSERS

Exactly the advice my husband gave me a few days ago!

that's what I've been telling my friend for years. Her mom is a very very negative person. incredibly negative. She was negative to me too. My friend lives at home with her but she can't really move out because mom would be home alone. Father passed away few years ago.

rough.

Yeah sort of learning that-- she's totally changed since my dad died last year and she moved in w/her new 'boyfriend/whatever you call him'... oh well, she's the one losing out on watching her grandson grow up.
yup, her loss. we're in same boat. she's all about herself. narcissistic. I do feel bad that my son don't get to see his grandmothers (my mother and his f-a-t-h-e-r's mother) much often but it's a lot less destructive to stay away from them. :hug:

I learned that there's another oil rig explosion this morning --

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_rig_explosion

yup, her loss. we're in same boat. she's all about herself. narcissistic. I do feel bad that my son don't get to see his grandmothers (my mother and his f-a-t-h-e-r's mother) much often but it's a lot less destructive to stay away from them. :hug:

Oil platform explodes off La. coast; oil spreading - Yahoo! News

If i'm not mistaken, it was an oil platform that exploded. I wonder what happened.

Coast Guard: No oil sheen from Gulf explosion - Yahoo! News

Sadly I'm beginning to feel that way too!! Thanks ! :hug;

I learned that spaghetti pie is good. I made it last night after seeing it in a restaurant. Easy as pie (no pun) to make :)

If i'm not mistaken, it was an oil platform that exploded. I wonder what happened.
oh, the headline even changed... :shock: I swear it said RIG earlier. maybe because it was up just 6 minutes before I posted it. wow. :ty:

oh, the headline even changed... :shock: I swear it said RIG earlier. maybe because it was up just 6 minutes before I posted it. wow. :ty:

oil rig? oil platform? same thing.

oil rig? oil platform? same thing.

Nope. Oil platforms are used to refine oil - not to drill for oil. When you use oil rigs, you drill for oil. See this link. I didn't know that till today BTW.

I learn that sometimes on AD I feel that there are a few people who are so "know it all" at every subject, problem, or debate. :roll:

Overall, I think its really great to have many individuals who know a lot in varying topics or subjects, but please, so people get themselves way over their head and really look like a fool to those with good understanding, knowledge, and experience in a specific field. Especially I sometimes get sick of people who simply google something to credit their know it all capabilities about everything on this earth. I don't feel too mad about it, but think sometimes the best thing to do is just ask because there are good chance someone can really help you out.

Nope. Oil platforms are used to refine oil - not to drill for oil. When you use oil rigs, you drill for oil. See this link. I didn't know that till today BTW.

:ty: now I have something to post in here....

I have learned today the differences between oil rig and oil platform.

I learn that sometimes on AD I feel that there are a few people who are so "know it all" at every subject, problem, or debate. :roll:

Overall, I think its really great to have many individuals who know a lot in varying topics or subjects, but please, so people get themselves way over their head and really look like a fool to those with good understanding, knowledge, and experience in a specific field. Especially I sometimes get sick of people who simply google something to credit their know it all capabilities about everything on this earth. I don't feel too mad about it, but think sometimes the best thing to do is just ask because there are good chance someone can really help you out.

Talking about moi?

No need to name names, the guilty individuals know who they are, and nothing else needs to be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back