I posted something for you guys

Oppression shouldnt be accept whether it is a simple statement like that woman made or the geocide. of deaf people.

Did she hold you down and implant you? I thought that she simply made a passing comment. If that is oppression, what is it when a Deaf person tells me that I have raped my daughter by giving her a CI, or when a Deaf person tells me that he hopes that all CI children end up brain damaged so that parents will stop implanting their kids, or that my child will never be happy because of her CI.....is that oppression too?

They didn't murder deaf people from what i read.

If not, no harm, no foul?

It was called eradication of the "inferior" -- elimination of the impure, the "useless eaters" -- and thousands of deaf were 'eliminated' -- as were millions of hearing. And it's not something anyone should forget or compare lightly with being slighted at a picnic by a twit.

If not, no harm, no foul?

It was called eradication of the "inferior" -- elimination of the impure, the "useless eaters" -- and thousands of deaf were 'eliminated' -- as were millions of hearing. And it's not something anyone should forget or compare lightly with being slighted at a picnic by a twit.

I am not comparing their actions.

I was saying that deafgal's point of bringing up the history was that oppression comes from people who saw deafness as a bad thing.

I am comparing the views not the actions.

Of course, there is no comparision at all when it comes to their actions but how they see deafness as a detriment to society is pretty similiar. Why would she say ALL deaf people should get CIs to improve ourselves? She would never have said that if she saw deafness as a good thing to society.

I am not comparing their actions.

I was saying that deafgal's point of bringing up the history was that oppression comes from people who saw deafness as a bad thing.

I am comparing the views not the actions.

Of course, there is no comparision at all when it comes to their actions but how they see deafness as a detriment to society is pretty similiar. Why would she say ALL deaf people should get CIs to improve ourselves? She would never have said that if she saw deafness as a good thing to society.

Read back, that's not how this came up.

yes, I was never talking about the action, just the view.

But you know what, people have favored Compulsory_sterilization on many people who were diffrent, but changed their mind because of the nazi.

Read back, that's not how this came up.

:) Shel and I read it the same. Even Shel said something along the lines of "I see what you mean" back there. There's a deep history and understanding to it.

It doesn't surprise me that people without experience will fail to see what the person who wrote that originally meant.

I understand the original comment- "instrument of genocide" was made by Harlan Lane , a Hearing "cultural deaf" professor, in the late 80s/early 90s re babies/young children having a Cochlear Implant. Discussed in Michael Chorost's book Rebuilt. The comment was later "replaced".

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
As long as the first definition (in the dictionary) of deafness is a medical view and as long as deafness as a cultural view is in the third or fourth position in the definition, there will always be this problem. Society, in general, thinks it is being altruistic to want to "help", etc with the goal being eradication of deafness. A little reality check here. We can educate, educate, educate till the cows come home but we are not loud enough.

Are you saying the hearing are turning a deaf ear on the deaf community??

Bad joke....no apologies. :lol:

Maybe because we need to use our voices to be heard?

Sorry, bad joke.

:nana:

Minor problem: how can a group of individuals have a "deaf ear"? Would a Cochlear Implant fix this "problem"? Yeah- right-just a problem on computers!

Minor problem: how can a group of individuals have a "deaf ear"? Would a Cochlear Implant fix this "problem"? Yeah- right-just a problem on computers!

Now that's a form of "deafness" I do most definitely wish we could cure. :)

Easy: turn the computer off!~A quick way to solve unreal problems.

Implanted Advanced Bionics- Harmony activated Aug/07

Maybe because we need to use our voices to be heard?

Sorry, bad joke.

Unfortunately, however, that has some truth in it. I've said before that a deaf individual and a hearing individual can say the same thing, and the hearing individual will be given more credibility simply because of their hearing status. I see it day in and day out. I would not need to advocate if it weren't true, because all I do is repeat what the deaf have told me they need and want. I advocate for the deaf perspective. And I have always found it ironic that society gives me more credibility because I use voice to provide information that the deaf have told me.

Easy: turn the computer off!~A quick way to solve unreal problems.

Implanted Advanced Bionics- Harmony activated Aug/07

Oh, yeah. There's a solution. Ignore it and it will go away. Referring back to your moniker...."How's that workin' for ya?"

Unfortunately, however, that has some truth in it. I've said before that a deaf individual and a hearing individual can say the same thing, and the hearing individual will be given more credibility simply because of their hearing status. I see it day in and day out. I would not need to advocate if it weren't true, because all I do is repeat what the deaf have told me they need and want. I advocate for the deaf perspective. And I have always found it ironic that society gives me more credibility because I use voice to provide information that the deaf have told me.

Yea

Jillio: haven't met a group of persons with "deaf ears" in need of a cochlear implant? Have you? Reality suggests that Implants are for a specific person NOT a group.

If a CI can fix the problem then some hearing people need CIs.

Back