I posted something for you guys

As long as the first definition (in the dictionary) of deafness is a medical view and as long as deafness as a cultural view is in the third or fourth position in the definition, there will always be this problem. Society, in general, thinks it is being altruistic to want to "help", etc with the goal being eradication of deafness. A little reality check here. We can educate, educate, educate till the cows come home but we are not loud enough.

Maybe because we need to use our voices to be heard?

Sorry, bad joke.

As long as the first definition (in the dictionary) of deafness is a medical view and as long as deafness as a cultural view is in the third or fourth position in the definition, there will always be this problem. Society, in general, thinks it is being altruistic to want to "help", etc with the goal being eradication of deafness. A little reality check here. We can educate, educate, educate till the cows come home but we are not loud enough.

Agree 100%. Good post.

Where are you going with your inference, Shel? That transitive doesn't fly. Shel is brunette, some NAZIs were brunette, therefore Shel = Nazi? I don't think so.

That's far wayy off the point that deafgal was trying to say. Many hearing people see deafness as a bad thing..and may want to try to be like Denmark with their laws.

That's all.

That's far wayy off the point that deafgal was trying to say. Many hearing people see deafness as a bad thing..and may want to try to be like Denmark with their laws.

That's all.

Denmark laws is totally unneccessary. Can't imagine how many parents are upset by this.

That's all.

My objection to the connection you are trying to make between Nazis and CIs is off point? You think Deafgal was really just referring to Danish policy and accidentally wrote "Nazis" and "genocide" instead? Well, nevermind then.

Nazis saw deafness as a bad thing.

That hearing person saw deafness as a bad thing.

No?

instruments of genocide>>>> There's a reason why they say that. in our history, the Nazi forced sterilize deaf people so they can't make more deaf babies. I'm sure there still people who secretly hope we don't reproduce.

Well it must be due to different experiences..many of us have constabntly felt oppression about our deafness and you haven't. We r trying to explain how we view things and yet, we r told we are wrong. This is how many of us feel and nothing will change that.

I can always relate it to AG Bell viewpoints if you prefer. Its ok I didn't think you would understand.

Oh wow. I never saw so many hearing people ganging up on us. What do I do? Set up a perimeter?

:aw:

Well it must be due to different experiences..many of us have constabntly felt oppression about our deafness and you haven't. We r trying to explain how we view things and yet, we r told we are wrong. This is how many of us feel and nothing will change that.

Because you and your family were systematically interned, tortured, and incinerated like garbage as mandated by the gov't in Auschwitz or Buchenwald or Dachau or another camp along with millions of others? Oh no, you mean because some ignorant person once suggested you "might improve yourself" by wearing a hearing aid or getting a CI. Right. It's the same thing. You have a right to say that that moment = Nazi genocide. I couldn't possibly know the horror of that moment and the devastation it wreaked on the bodies and psyches of millions, on generations.

There's a valid and important point to be made about how people perceive deafness. Equating individual discrimination or ignorance with Nazi genocide is NOT the way to make the point.

Because you and your family were systematically interned, tortured, and incinerated like garbage as mandated by the gov't in Auschwitz or Buchenwald or Dachau or another camp along with millions of others? Oh no, you mean because some ignorant person once suggested you "might improve yourself" by wearing a hearing aid or getting a CI. Right. It's the same thing. You have a right to say that that moment = Nazi genocide. I couldn't possibly know the horror of that moment and the devastation it wreaked on the bodies and psyches of millions, on generations.

There's a valid and important point to be made about how people perceive deafness. Equating individual discrimination or ignorance with Nazi genocide is NOT the way to make the point.

Deafgal's point was they both saw deafness as a bad thing. That was how I interpreted her post.

I only say that because if they were hearing, it would not happened to them. And many other oppression that happened in our history.

I only say that because if they were hearing, it would not happened to them. And many other oppression that happened in our history.

Oppression shouldnt be accept whether it is a simple statement like that woman made or the geocide. of deaf people.

It seems like deafgal is talking more about the view of general society about deaf people, not about the devices themselves. If a hearing person told a deaf people that all deaf people should improve themselves by getting a CI and hear normally, doesnt that person carry the same kinds of views of deafness as the Nazis did? Maybe the hearing person wont kidnap and starve deaf people but to that person, deafness is a bad thing just like deafness was a bad thing to the Nazis.

No, because no one is murdering you. How can you possibly say that a comment in ignorance is the same mentality of gathering and MURDERING 6 million innocent people. Step back for a moment and really think about that.

No, because no one is murdering you. How can you possibly say that a comment in ignorance is the same mentality of gathering and MURDERING 6 million innocent people. Step back for a moment and really think about that.

They didn't murder deaf people from what i read. edited: look like they did.

Back