Disability for obesity related health problems

I can't carry one week's worth of food. If I did groceries only I would have to go 3-4 times a week cause that's the most I can carry at once.

I do understand your position. Still, home made is healthier. I have a brother who has the metabolism that no matter what he eats or how much, he burns it off. He kinds of makes me sick. I gain it all, but he stays the same. Since he was 16 and he's now 50, he wears the same size in pants, 28/36. Long legged, skinny waist.

Look at who's talking (puzzle). It doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying who.

I can't carry one week's worth of food. If I did groceries only I would have to go 3-4 times a week cause that's the most I can carry at once.

You don't need to stick to homemade food all the time. Just a careful balance. It's ok to eat fast food a few times a week but a large portion of your food intake shouldn't comprise fast food.

do you have friend/family member with car? or the transportation assistance program?

Talk to your grocery store manager. Most people are good people. I am sure they will arrange a way to deliver the groceries for you. Many stores around me have free delivery already.

Churches can be pretty handy for this too.

Alot of effort???? Again we are back to choice. Is a family's health worth the effort? That's the choice.

I still think that there are some to many instances in which a person has no nutritional knowledge and is unaware they have any choices because the world in which the live seems to offer no choice and they've had no healthy role model to emulate - whether that be someone at home, someone on tv, whatever. Speculating that someone can or "should" choose this or that assumes a starting point that not everyone comes with.

I still think that there are some to many instances in which a person has no nutritional knowledge and is unaware they have any choices because the world in which the live seems to offer no choice and they've had no healthy role model to emulate - whether that be someone at home, someone on tv, whatever. Speculating that someone can or "should" choose this or that assumes a starting point that not everyone comes with.

That's where mirrors and scales come in.

Nutrition is also taught in every public school.....Info is given through every WIC program and food stamp program. There are public service announcements on TV and radio. Oprah and Dr Phil. Local news. Cable news. Info on almost all packaging.

It's almost impossible NOT to know about nutrition. Even my local library is covered with nutrition posters.

Then there is common sense. Greasy fries of salad.....who can't tell which is healthier.

Talk to your grocery store manager. Most people are good people. I am sure they will arrange a way to deliver the groceries for you. Many stores around me have free delivery already.

Churches can be pretty handy for this too.
ah yes - good idea. there's community outreach program too.

Alot of effort???? Again we are back to choice. Is a family's health worth the effort? That's the choice.
It is no brainer that cooking healthy for family is a much smaller effort than an effort it takes to deal with family w/ health problems resulting from unhealthy eating.

And yes, cooking for a family of 5 does take a lot of effort. In my case, it is 3 adults and 2 teenagers. One of the teens is a picky eater. The other teen needs to cut back on what he eats. One adult is one a low sodium diet and the senior adult is on low protein. Now, I do have issues with cooking, but I enjoy it and money does not let me have a wide variety. We are slowly getting healthier. My teens are learning the benefits of healthy eating. When we do go out, they look for healthy options.

I think another issue is, what about the people who don't have $85? If I only have $15 today, how do I buy enough to feed my family? I can't buy enough groceries to divide the food up for the week, I need to feed my family TODAY.

I think another issue is, what about the people who don't have $85? If I only have $15 today, how do I buy enough to feed my family? I can't buy enough groceries to divide the food up for the week, I need to feed my family TODAY.

well... the nature's cruel.... so what happens to animal that doesn't have enough to eat? :aw:

but we have food stamp, charity program, soup kitchen, etc.

There are very healthy frozen dinners. My daughter, mother and hubby had a pepperoni/chicken/pasta thing last night with a loaf of Cuban bread. Total for the three of them with leftovers? $7.

then cut the spending on want thing, including games, movies, tv, etc and replace with enough funds to feed the families, even don't buy clothes, brand items that cost more than store brand.

then cut the spending on want thing, including games, movies, tv, etc and replace with enough funds to feed the families, even don't buy clothes, brand items that cost more than store brand.

um... poor people can't even afford any of those.

Sadly :(

no-food.jpg

Wirelessly posted

Foxrac said:

do you actually believe that? I grew up dirt poor. My mom was a single, mom (she had to leave my father because he was abusive) and there were times that we were hungry, not because of "name brand clothes" but because of electricty or gas for her to get to that low paying job that made us ineligible for foodstamps.

Wirelessly posted

oh, and before you kick up about her "choices" in life. She left school at 15 to get away from her father who was raping her, so yeah, she didn't get a college degree.

but TX, one has to GO to school and have mirrors and scales in their place of residence. I have been in homes where there were no radios, no tv's, no mirrors, no scales, beds full of bedbugs, no clothes in the closet <which had no door>, no phone etc.
Someone who has not been encouraged to go to school, use library etc., will not see any of the info. that might be posted there about nutrition.

1.5 lbs of Chicken @2.87 $4.31
1 bag frozen peas $2.29
I bag of rice $2.19

Total $8.79

You have $6.21 left and rice and peas too. :)

Choice is yours

Wirelessly posted

do you actually believe that? I grew up dirt poor. My mom was a single, mom (she had to leave my father because he was abusive) and there were times that we were hungry, not because of "name brand clothes" but because of electricty or gas for her to get to that low paying job that made us ineligible for foodstamps.

Yea, my mom went through that when raising my brother and I. Because of her job, she was inelegible for assistance but she couldnt afford to properly care for us during the first 5 years after the divorce. She had to beg her mom several times for money for groceries.

Back