Disability for obesity related health problems

The whole point is it takes more effort. Fast food is more accessible than healthy food.

Life takes effort :)

That was my point. Whether or not a person puts in the effort is a CHOICE

The state Budget and Control Board voted today to approve a pilot program, authorized by the state Legislature, to spend $2.4 million on gastric bypass and Lap-Band surgery for the state’s heaviest employees, under the state health plan. The surgeries will be offered after Jan. 1 and be divided among the state’s regions on a first come, first served basis.
S.C. to spend $2.4 million on weight loss surgeries for state workers - Charleston SC - The Post and Courier - postandcourier.com

South Carolina lawmakers chose paying for weight-loss surgery for obese state workers at $24,000 a pop over putting teachers in the classroom, one state senator said Thursday.

Sen. Greg Ryberg, R-Aiken, said special interest groups won a victory over taxpayers when the Legislature decided to put $2.4 million toward gastric bypass and Lap-Band surgery for 100 of the state's heaviest employees, under a state health plan pilot program that begins Jan. 1.
State to pay for bariatric surgeries - Charleston SC - The Post and Courier - postandcourier.com

The whole point is it takes more effort. Fast food is more accessible than healthy food.

Exactly. For a family of five that is not sure where money for rent is even coming from, the better option is to get a bucket of KFC or happy meals from McD's than to buy healthy vegetables and fresh meat to make dinner. Not to mention, if the adults in the family work long hours, they don't even have time or energy to prepare the meal.

Life takes effort :)

That was my point. Whether or not a person puts in the effort is a CHOICE

Tex, watch "Food Inc." You'll see that what you've just said is not accurate. You can't apply the "pick yourself up by the bootstraps" philosophy to every single difficult situation in life. That's the failure of conservative thinking. In the United States, the food industry has been commandeered by a small group of mega conglomerates that have effectively limited the choices of what we can eat. This isn't a liberal/tree hugger conspiracy: it is the result of economic and domestic policy.

The simple fact is that it should NOT cost less to get food at a restaurant, but because our government subsidizes many crops that are staples to the fast food industry (corn, specifically), and the FDA is leveraged by these corporations to pass rules and regulations that stifle competition, the food industry has completely changed.

Of course we can't just blame companies and the government for our obesity and health issues, but simply saying "try harder to eat better" is ignoring a huge part of the problem.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

So we should blame Iowa being corn-fed addicts? :lol:

I am going to grocery store and costco today. (already planned) I will post a menu later.

I am going to grocery store and costco today. (already planned) I will post a menu later.

Will that be relevant to this thread?

Anyhow, could you pick me up some of that cheap Cosco alcohol and a 4,3435,346,547 lb package of Applegate Farms chicken sausages. :ty:

Anyhow, could you pick me up some of that cheap Cosco alcohol and a 4,3435,346,547 lb package of Applegate Farms chicken sausages. :ty:

Those are good! You will be happier and can fix them one by one instead of all at once like the pulled pork. ;)

No problem. :lol:

I am not going to post my menu....

I will post a menu for a family of 5 for a week assuming 2 adults, a teen and 2 little ones. I think that is relevant.....maybe even helpful.

I will post a menu for a family of 5 for a week assuming 2 adults, a teen and 2 little ones. I think that is relevant.....maybe even helpful.

Break it down by cost, add it up for a month, and then figure in all other costs for this family of five.

Cool project. I'm gonna go drink some beer. :D

No really, it will be interesting to see what you come up with. Keep in mind, though, that these large warehouse stores are not available everywhere nor are they convenient for many families when both parents work full time jobs.

Also, how much is the yearly membership for Costco? I forget. 65$?

Cool project. I'm gonna go drink some beer. :D

No really, it will be interesting to see what you come up with. Keep in mind, though, that those large warehouse stores are not available everywhere or convenient for many families when both parents work full time jobs.

Also, how much is the yearly membership for Costco? I forget. 65$?

I think it's $50.... :dunno: But you can take 2 guests each visit. I go with my mom and sister. We have one membership.

BTW.... I am interested to see the results too. I could be wrong and have to eat crow for dinner.

I do know just from my own experience lately. For my family of 5, and having to pack 1 lunch each day for 5 or 6 days for hubby.

When I was not buying all the healthy options, I was spending somewhere around $150-$200 a week. For the last 2 months anyway, I have been buying more fresh veggies and healthier options. Dinner is always, meat, starch, 2 veggies and sometimes dessert. Lunch is something light but balanced and breakfast varies but is healthy. I have been now spending just $80-$105 a week for 5 people. It can be done. This is with no extras. With school starting, it will not change as I home school, so the kids will be home and they are teenagers.

Now, my MIL, buys for herself only and spends $125-$150 a week, and wonders why she can't lose her weight.

Shopped at Kroger only....

Here is the list

Frozen Peas 10 servings 2.29
Frozen Brocoli 11 servings 2.29
Frozen Green Beans 10 servings 2.29
Frozen Carrots 10 servings 2.29
All veggies with nothing added
2.5 Lbs boneless/skinless chicken breast @2.79/lb 6.98
1.5 lbs ground Turkey Breast 4.99
1.5 lbs Angus ground chuck 4.31
18 large eggs 1.93
1.5 lbs boneless pork loin 5.60
1.5 lbs ground sirloin 6.00
on vine tomatoes 1.99
steakhouse mushrooms 2.50
4 small bundles green leaf lettuce @ .88 3.52
Fat Free low sodium Salad Dressing 2.24
2 boxes Barrilla Penne Pasta @ 1.27 2.54
2 jars Rinaldi Healthy low sodium Pasta Sauce @2.29 4.58
Bag of rice 2.19
Kraft light mexican cheese 2.79
6 lemons 2.00
4 limes 2.00
Red Onion 1.29
2 White onion @1.28 2.56
2 green peppers 3.00
2 red peppers 3.00
1 can fat free vegetarian refried beans .89
1 pkg corn tortillas 1.69
1 avacoda 1.50
3 lbs potatos @1.28 3.81

comes to $83.06

add $15/ spices and ect. $98.06

98.06/7= 14.01 per meal (meals to follow)

Compared to
Big Mac Meal 5.30
Black Angus Meal 6.30
Cheeseburger meal 3.00
2 happy meals 4.00

Total $18.60

Meal one
Penne Pasta w/ground Turkey
Broccoli
Salad w/with steakhouse mushrooms

Meal 2
Veggie omelet w/onions, peppers, mushroms and broccoli
baked hashbrowns

Meal 3
Grilled Chicken
Rice
Green Beans
Salad w/tomato

Meal 4
Bunless Burger w/melted cheese and red onion on top
Peas
Salad
Mash Po

Meal 5
Chicken Penne
Broccoli
Salad w peppers

Meal 6
Tacos using Ground sirloin cheese and white onion red and green peppers
Refried beans
Guacamole

Meal 7
Grilled Boneless pork loin (4.5 gm fat)
Rice with mushrooms
Green Beans

Still have stuff left over. For a few bucks more you can get the veggies fresh instead of frozen.

Back