Disability for obesity related health problems

Obesity is not always preventable. There are those that have a biological cause for their obesity. They are not responsible for their obesity causing disorder, and therefore, should not be penalized for having a disorder.
AMEN!!!!! I had thyroid problems as a kid....I'm very active and eat pretty well, but my metabolism is fucked up. Even with a lot of people who mindlessly eat, there's still a lot of people with metbolic issues out there.
Maybe another good idea might be to mandate gastric bypass for the super plus obese.

:laugh2: Yeah that's me....... REAL priviledged childhood. :laugh2: I have to remember to tell Mom that one tomorrow.

Who said anything about childhood?

Broaden your scope. You are limiting yourself when you equate priviledge and finance.

Who said anything about childhood?

Broaden your scope. You are limiting yourself when you equate priviledge and finance.
What do you mean by privileged?

What do you mean by privileged?

We can start with white priviledge, but that will open a whole 'nuther can of worms because there are those that receive it's advantages on a daily basis that still deny it's existence.

Basically, priviledge is created anytime another is given an advantage based on superficial criteria.

Wirelessly posted

Not to be a "Debbie Downer" or anything of that sort.. I do wonder if the OP is overweight or does have a remote understanding of the severe isses the obese person goes through on a daily basis. I am slated for a lapband procedure after stuggling for more than 10 plus years trying to lose weight. I encourage people in this thread to truly understand obesity. Please do not ridicule as we go though that at childhood and continue with this growing up. Share support as much as you can as we dont need criticism. This quote I want to share ... "why so i need friends when i have enemies like you?" Please take this to heart.

Wirelessly posted

Not to be a "Debbie Downer" or anything of that sort.. I do wonder if the OP is overweight or does have a remote understanding of the severe isses the obese person goes through on a daily basis. I am slated for a lapband procedure after stuggling for more than 10 plus years trying to lose weight. I encourage people in this thread to truly understand obesity. Please do not ridicule as we go though that at childhood and continue with this growing up. Share support as much as you can as we dont need criticism. This quote I want to share ... "why so i need friends when i have enemies like you?" Please take this to heart.

:gpost: :gpost:

I agree with you one hundred percent. It is no fault of being obesity person or child as they have struggle trying to lose weight. Yes, it is difficult to lose weight. As for myself, I have problem with my obesity for over 20 years and it is difficult. Also I have health issues like high blood pressure and always feel tire, even though I am not lazy. I want to lose weight bad, but that is something I have to work on trying my best to lose weight. So I do not approve of people looking down on me, either. :(

Wirelessly posted

Dont worry about being a "Debbie Downer"...I appreciate your input about this subject.

I know what it is like to be heavy but I dont know what it is like to be obese with struggles like yours and others experience. :hug:

I do know that as for me, my weight gain was unexplainable. The summer I turned 13, I gained 50 pounds. I did not eat more than before, I exercised and played just as much, if not more than usual, but I still gained it all. The doctors ran all kinds of tests (1976) and could not find the cause. They now say that I have thyroid issues and that it is hereditary. I didn't think so. My grandmother had thyroid issues early in her life. The medication she was given in the 1930's, caused bones to disintegrate. She lost 5 inches in her spine and her rib cage was sitting on her hip bones. Needless to say, she had weight problems and a LOT of pain with no help in sight. I am slowly losing the weight, but being unable to fully exercise slows it down. I am blessed that I don't have all the medical issues of high blood pressure or diabetes or any heart trouble.

I have a friend of mine that is MORBIDLY OBESE and we chat occasionally on FB. The last time we chatted she was still going through the process to apply for disability while she has also been denied numerous times. She's been married and divorced once with no children, lives with her mother who does receive a disability check. My friend swears up and down she has 18, yes 18, different illnesses right now. But honestly I think those are secondary to her obesity as many of them could be preventable and/or well managed with weight loss. I also wonder if there is an underlying mental illness playing that could have contributed to her being 'sick' all the time thus 'unable to work', thus sitting at home and eating all the time. She was big to begin with, but I think she is getting bigger. Here is some of what she claims that I can remember right off:
asthma
diabetes
high blood pressure
severe back pain
breathing difficulty outside of asthma (yes she told me this exactly, can't figure it out as she claimed she did not have COPD/chronic emphysema.)
re-curring bronchitis
stomach pain
Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD)
Migraines.
Severe allergic reactions (swears any smell can trigger it, thus will not get out of the house except to see the doctor and go to the SS Office for appointments.)
dermatitis (this I can vouch for, her skin is so plagued by fat her pores will clog up and become infected)
psoriasis (chronic dry itchy skin that becomes infected)
vision problems (this could be from the diabetes as she was 'normal' while she was working.
fibromyalgia.

and a few more I can't remember but those were the ones I recall her mentioning to me the last time we chatted.

I think a lot of these are SECONDARY to her morbid obesity and here's why:
1. She is so morbidly obese that her chest wall is literally crushing down on her rib cage thus reducing overall lung capacity, when you are an asthmatic this can be dangerous as overexertion can possibly trigger an asthma attack With my friend she swears she has at least one attack a day. Her constant attacks could also be causing the re-curring bronchitis, but I would need to do some actual pathophysiology to see if this is possible. I'm not a Dr. or an RT, so I don't know.
2. Her back pain can be caused by her morbid obesity. The spine is only so strong and when it exceeds its limits it begins to deteriorate. Back pain is a sign of this deterioration. Her spine may not be able to support her body, her weight exceeds its limit.
3. Her Fibromyalgia could be due to the fact that she moves very little, when you stay in one position for too long, you begin to hurt. Very little is actually known about FMS, but it is usually considered 'unexplainable all over body pain that can be debilitating.' I'm not saying she doesn't have it, but the root of her pain could again be due to morbid obesity, poor diet, lack of exercise/movement.
4. Her dermatitis could be secondary to her obesity. Psoriasis usually isn't as it affects people from all walks of life of all shapes and sizes and to varying degrees.
5. Diabetes could be due to obesity, poor diet, and a lack of exercise. I didn't think she was diagnosed with this before she quit working, but I could be wrong. I can't judge her medical history nor is it my business. Just stating what is related to the thread without revealing identifying information.
6. Her vision problems could also be due to her diabetes if it is not being well-managed.

I love her as a friend and I have politely encouraged her to get out of the house a little bit to just walk around the yard a little bit, just anything to get moving and get outside where there is fresh air. Finally when she told me she has 18 diseases right now, I couldn't believe it and I just told her what I thought. I told her a lot of those ailments are preventable and/or be well-managed to where she can work. We got into an argument (I admit I probably lacked some bedside manner), and we've not talked since. I am just going to let it blow over and when she gets over it, she can be the first to come talk as I have left her a message that she is free to talk to me when she feels ready to.

I just personally think a lot of her health problems are obesity related and maybe her SS case worker is obvious to this and keeps having her case denied as a subtle sign that this is reversible and if she chooses to, she can reverse it and become employable again, but she will have to do it herself, not someone else doing it for her. Everytime I tried to politely encourage her to get up and move and do something besides lay in bed or sit in the recliner all day she would make up excuses as to why she couldn't/can't do it.

As for obesity be related to income, I don't know if we will ever actually find a direct correlation there as there are obese people at all income levels in all walks of life. Like for instance John Tyson, CEO of Tyson Foods, Inc. is a millionaire but looking at him, he probably would be considered 'obese' by health professionals and dietitians.

Then there are people who are line workers at Tyson who are bone thin because they can't afford to eat and have 3 kids. They always buy enough food for the kids and will not eat so that they make sure their kids are well fed. They are taller than me and they are sharing clothes with their 9 year old daughter to save money. They realize the situation is not the kids fault, but they make the best of it they can by providing everything their kids need and a tiny bit of what they want and they know the distinction between the two. I doubt this is due a lack of planning but rather just a bad set of circumstances that put them in survival mode.

I have a friend of mine that is MORBIDLY OBESE and we chat occasionally on FB. The last time we chatted she was still going through the process to apply for disability while she has also been denied numerous times. She's been married and divorced once with no children, lives with her mother who does receive a disability check. My friend swears up and down she has 18, yes 18, different illnesses right now. But honestly I think those are secondary to her obesity as many of them could be preventable and/or well managed with weight loss. I also wonder if there is an underlying mental illness playing that could have contributed to her being 'sick' all the time thus 'unable to work', thus sitting at home and eating all the time. She was big to begin with, but I think she is getting bigger. Here is some of what she claims that I can remember right off:
asthma
diabetes
high blood pressure
severe back pain
breathing difficulty outside of asthma (yes she told me this exactly, can't figure it out as she claimed she did not have COPD/chronic emphysema.)
re-curring bronchitis
stomach pain
Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD)
Migraines.
Severe allergic reactions (swears any smell can trigger it, thus will not get out of the house except to see the doctor and go to the SS Office for appointments.)
dermatitis (this I can vouch for, her skin is so plagued by fat her pores will clog up and become infected)
psoriasis (chronic dry itchy skin that becomes infected)
vision problems (this could be from the diabetes as she was 'normal' while she was working.
fibromyalgia.

and a few more I can't remember but those were the ones I recall her mentioning to me the last time we chatted.

I think a lot of these are SECONDARY to her morbid obesity and here's why:
1. She is so morbidly obese that her chest wall is literally crushing down on her rib cage thus reducing overall lung capacity, when you are an asthmatic this can be dangerous as overexertion can possibly trigger an asthma attack With my friend she swears she has at least one attack a day. Her constant attacks could also be causing the re-curring bronchitis, but I would need to do some actual pathophysiology to see if this is possible. I'm not a Dr. or an RT, so I don't know.
2. Her back pain can be caused by her morbid obesity. The spine is only so strong and when it exceeds its limits it begins to deteriorate. Back pain is a sign of this deterioration. Her spine may not be able to support her body, her weight exceeds its limit.
3. Her Fibromyalgia could be due to the fact that she moves very little, when you stay in one position for too long, you begin to hurt. Very little is actually known about FMS, but it is usually considered 'unexplainable all over body pain that can be debilitating.' I'm not saying she doesn't have it, but the root of her pain could again be due to morbid obesity, poor diet, lack of exercise/movement.
4. Her dermatitis could be secondary to her obesity. Psoriasis usually isn't as it affects people from all walks of life of all shapes and sizes and to varying degrees.
5. Diabetes could be due to obesity, poor diet, and a lack of exercise. I didn't think she was diagnosed with this before she quit working, but I could be wrong. I can't judge her medical history nor is it my business. Just stating what is related to the thread without revealing identifying information.
6. Her vision problems could also be due to her diabetes if it is not being well-managed.

I love her as a friend and I have politely encouraged her to get out of the house a little bit to just walk around the yard a little bit, just anything to get moving and get outside where there is fresh air. Finally when she told me she has 18 diseases right now, I couldn't believe it and I just told her what I thought. I told her a lot of those ailments are preventable and/or be well-managed to where she can work. We got into an argument (I admit I probably lacked some bedside manner), and we've not talked since. I am just going to let it blow over and when she gets over it, she can be the first to come talk as I have left her a message that she is free to talk to me when she feels ready to.

I just personally think a lot of her health problems are obesity related and maybe her SS case worker is obvious to this and keeps having her case denied as a subtle sign that this is reversible and if she chooses to, she can reverse it and become employable again, but she will have to do it herself, not someone else doing it for her. Everytime I tried to politely encourage her to get up and move and do something besides lay in bed or sit in the recliner all day she would make up excuses as to why she couldn't/can't do it.

As for obesity be related to income, I don't know if we will ever actually find a direct correlation there as there are obese people at all income levels in all walks of life. Like for instance John Tyson, CEO of Tyson Foods, Inc. is a millionaire but looking at him, he probably would be considered 'obese' by health professionals and dietitians.

Then there are people who are line workers at Tyson who are bone thin because they can't afford to eat and have 3 kids. They always buy enough food for the kids and will not eat so that they make sure their kids are well fed. They are taller than me and they are sharing clothes with their 9 year old daughter to save money. They realize the situation is not the kids fault, but they make the best of it they can by providing everything their kids need and a tiny bit of what they want and they know the distinction between the two. I doubt this is due a lack of planning but rather just a bad set of circumstances that put them in survival mode.

I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding the secondary nature of the illnesses your friend says she has. All can be attributed to excessive weight and poor diet. Regarding the mental diagnosis...depression can certainly contribute to weight gain and isolation. The body pain, as well, could result from a strategy known as somatization, where emotional issues are converted into physical symptoms. This will often occur when a depressed person feels it is more acceptable to have a physical illness than a mental or mood disorder.

Wirelessly posted

The income-obesity correlation occurs mostly in the inner-city areas of metros.

Charlotte NC has one of the highest obesity rates in the USA according to the local paper (this was a few years ago) and it's too sprawled out to be much like a city with a inner city core. I used to live on Central Ave and obese people weren't as common; Mexicans would walk everywhere to save money on gas.

When I went to the burbs of Charlotte, seeing obese people was much more common. And they had more income than the Mexicans.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

souggy said:
Wirelessly posted

The income-obesity correlation occurs mostly in the inner-city areas of metros.

That isnt true for Seattle area. Most obese people live in outer suburbs of Seattle.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

That isnt true for Seattle area. Most obese people live in outer suburbs of Seattle.

Yup, I noticed more obese people live in San Bernardino and Riverside Counties (Inland Empire) than in LA County.

Charlotte NC has one of the highest obesity rates in the USA according to the local paper (this was a few years ago) and it's too sprawled out to be much like a city with a inner city core. I used to live on Central Ave and obese people weren't as common; Mexicans would walk everywhere to save money on gas.

When I went to the burbs of Charlotte, seeing obese people was much more common. And they had more income than the Mexicans.

No surprise there. The food options here are lamentable. Seriously. McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Bojangle's, KFC. It's next to impossible to find healthy food unless you're willing to spend an arm and a leg at Sam's Club or Harris Teeter's and then cook yourself at home.

Souggy, I already *facepalm*ed on your behalf

He said nothing about where obese people live. His post dealt with obesity/income correlation

No surprise there. The food options here are lamentable. Seriously. McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Bojangle's, KFC. It's next to impossible to find healthy food unless you're willing to spend an arm and a leg at Sam's Club or Harris Teeter's and then cook yourself at home.

*facepalm* to this post too. Plenty of cheap healthy options (especially at Sam's Club) for people willing to put in the effort.

*facepalm* to this post too. Plenty of cheap healthy options (especially at Sam's Club) for people willing to put in the effort.

The whole point is it takes more effort. Fast food is more accessible than healthy food.

Back