Disability for obesity related health problems

There was a lot of cereal and ramen in our lives, but yes, sometimes if my mom could only pull together $2, she bought the 4 kids hamburgers (cheaper back then).

I practically live on ramen noodles. It's one of the easiest things to get a lot of for cheap, fills you up, and I can walk to the store.

I wouldn't eat ramen noodles everyday because it cause my digestive system (stomach, small/large intestine) become irritated and low or no fiber, just like eat hotdog everyday is harmful to me. I have eat different food in meals everyday that txgolfer provided above, of course with enough fibers.

ramen noodles everyday is bad for ya because of very high in sodium.
fiber is good for ya such as beans, lentils, vegetables, fruits, whole grains bread and brown rice.

lentils/beans are cheaper, u can make lentils and vegetables-carrots, broccolis, bell pepper (cutting), tomatoes then mix italian sauce (put alot of different spices when it's cooking) then it turn into a soup then with pasta. it's easy to cook and simple. my BF made the deliciously italian soup.

ramen noodles everyday is bad for ya because of very high in sodium. I eat ramen noodles once a day.

fiber is good for ya such as beans, lentils, vegetables, fruits, whole grains bread and brown rice.

lentils/beans are cheaper, u can make lentils and vegetables-carrots, broccolis, bell pepper (cutting), tomatoes then mix italian sauce (put alot of different spices when it's cooking) then it turn into a soup then with pasta. it's easy to cook and simple. my BF made the deliciously italian soup.

In bold, not if you don't add meat flavor in it.

Man that sounds delicious. Where can I find that and how much does it cost?

Note: I usually have ramen for one meal and something else with veggies for the other meal.

Man that sounds delicious. Where can I find that and how much does it cost?

Note: I usually have ramen for one meal and something else with veggies for the other meal.

You can find at any grocery store. lentils bag 16 OZ. for 99 cents. Some grocery store have lentils for like probably 70 cents sometimes 50 cents.

Oh, you can put lentils in your ramen if u want. lentils had to be soaking first (getting soft).

Off Topic: It's not a food thread here :lol:

I was sent to a foster home in the middle of no where with a weird family and that's when I lost my shit and screamed, "I want to move into my own apartment and live on my own and I don't care if I have no GED and no money I would rather be homeless than live in this weird ass foster home where the dad can make his teenage son sob". That startled my caseworker and she quickly arranged for me to live in a studio apartment cause she knew I was ready to run. I was 18 and free to run. So six weeks after I said that, I left foster care at 18 years old, I got my own apartment with no money. The foster care agency paid my rent until my SSI kicked in. I was always hungry, there were days I didn't eat, I was not able to get food stamps until my appointment at the food stamp place three months after I moved in. I was grateful for the $165 per month food stamps they started me with. I waited six months for my SSI to kick in. I was so poor I couldn't afford to do laundry, I had to wash my clothes in the bathtub. I applied everywhere for a job but it was hard to get a job with no high school diploma nor a GED. I went to a community college for 2 make-up classes for drop-out students and got a high school diploma of sorts but I believe it was stolen with the rest of the shit they stole from me on the greyhound bus to Minnesota when I went to MN to visit SCSU the college I wanted to attend and I attended. (I dropped out of highschool cause I was moved to a new foster home without notice and I was angry and refused to go to the new school). I had to walk everywhere for everything because I had no money for the public bus transit, and at the time it was $1.35 for the fare. I often had to go to my friend's grandmother to have dinner. Or to my friend's mother, too. Another friend's mother helped me out with food as well. The apartment I had, was a studio apartment with just a room and two beds in it, a tiny kitchenette with sink, fridge, and stove, and a bathroom and a closet. That's all I had. I had to share the room with other roommates. The apartment building is run by a catholic charity convent, a halfway house of sorts, the Sisters managed the building. I couldn't afford to make calls either until my SSI kicked in. I've had to beg for money, I've had to sell my dreamcatchers for money. Sometimes I don't eat at all and my stomach ached. If I managed to get enough change I would go to Pick N Save and buy fruit and vegetables because they were cheaper than anything else. I would buy onions (fresh) and mushroom (canned) and green peppers (fresh) and some veggie oil, and a fresh banana or two, and that would be my dinner. I would cook the onions and the mushrooms and the green peppers together and saute them, and eat them.The bananas would be my breakfast. And I had no proper coat for the winter (I lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin at the time), my friend had to buy me a parka coat for Christmas. Christmas sucked because I had no family as they were abusive, I spent Christmas with friends just hanging out and shooting shit and stuff. Finally the SSI kicked in and it made my life so much easier. I could eat a lot of food on food stamps, and the SSI would buy me things needed and paid the bills. I moved out of that studio apartment and found a house to rent for $360 a month, electricity, heat, and gas included. It was in the worst ghetto in the city, and there were a lot of mentally ill people hanging out near my house as well. I ended up making friends with them and there were a couple people I had already known from being in the children's home a couple years prior. Shortly after that, I had a roommate and then shit happened and I moved out of the house and a friend helped me move and I moved in with her and her parents in a different town an hour north for six months and then got an apartment in the next town over. I decided that I had to get out of this state. I moved to Minnesota and that did NOT work out. There was so much drama there that I nearly went insane with that bullshit they pulled on me. I moved to another place out in the country, in the sticks. I decided that I needed to sit on my ass and do nothing but let the money from SSI pile up so that I would have enough to move far far far far far away from all that bullshit. I sat on my ass for 9 months and then decided I had enough for the round trip to and from San Antonio, Texas. So I flew down here, snagged an apartment quickly, spent the rest of the week in Texas as an vacation I needed, and then flew back home and sat on my ass again for two more months til my friend came to get me and I hired him to drive me down to Texas from Minnesota. That trip took me three days. I did not sleep for three days. I came with only my cats, my computer, clothes, TV, and a few other items and that's it. When I came to San Antonio and got my key for the apartment I had to borrow a cot and sleep on it. I slept on it for two weeks before getting a proper mattress. It was a tough start, but I am glad I did all this. I am still dirt poor, but I am working towards getting my back fixed so I can get back in the work force again. My hip has been fixed last March. So it's now my back needs fixing and then I can go to school and become a nurse. I am still on SSI and I receive $188 in food stamps (they increase the food stamps by a few dollars each year to keep up with the cost of living). Once my back is taken care of and my pain goes away or becomes much more manageable I plan to become a nurse, that's my goal. My hip feels so much better now that it has been fixed. I can walk more now, move around more than I used to, but I still cannot stand for more than five minutes because of my back. At least I don't need a wheelchair so much anymore for the most part, I'm still a part-time wheelchair user, though. I'm glad I got here, even though I am dirt poor. What makes it worth it is that I got away from my insane parents and their abusive ways. I feel safe here. That's the most important things. I am grateful for the SSI and for the food stamps. I would still be on the street if not for the SSI and the food stamps. I now have a one bedroom apartment with a living room and bathroom and a vanity area and walk-in closet and a kitchen. It's pretty small, but it will do for now. I worked hard to make this apartment a safe place and there is no drama allowed in my apartment. You got drama? Go outside. I also learned my lessons about roommates - roommates are a bad idea. It's best to live alone unless you have a spouse like I do. We don't live together yet but we are looking at another apartment because this apartment I currently live in is in the ghetto. We also want something inside the 410 loop, so I can easily get around on the buses. I now have a full pantry and a full fridge of food thanks to food stamps, and SSI pays rent and the bills. I guess that's all I have to say about my being on SSI and food stamps.

Exactly. For a family of five that is not sure where money for rent is even coming from, the better option is to get a bucket of KFC or happy meals from McD's than to buy healthy vegetables and fresh meat to make dinner. Not to mention, if the adults in the family work long hours, they don't even have time or energy to prepare the meal.

Tex, watch "Food Inc." You'll see that what you've just said is not accurate. You can't apply the "pick yourself up by the bootstraps" philosophy to every single difficult situation in life. That's the failure of conservative thinking. In the United States, the food industry has been commandeered by a small group of mega conglomerates that have effectively limited the choices of what we can eat. This isn't a liberal/tree hugger conspiracy: it is the result of economic and domestic policy.

The simple fact is that it should NOT cost less to get food at a restaurant, but because our government subsidizes many crops that are staples to the fast food industry (corn, specifically), and the FDA is leveraged by these corporations to pass rules and regulations that stifle competition, the food industry has completely changed.

Of course we can't just blame companies and the government for our obesity and health issues, but simply saying "try harder to eat better" is ignoring a huge part of the problem.

Well said.

Not only is our food controlled, but what we're allowed to say about it is too. Anyone who's interested can look up food libel laws.

Food libel laws, also known as “food disparagement laws“, “veggie libel laws“, or “veggie hate laws“, are laws passed in 13 U.S. states that make it easier for food industry interests to sue their critics for libel. These 13 states are: Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas. [1] Many of the food-disparagement laws punish First Amendment-protected expression, establish a lower standard for civil liability, allow for punitive damages and attorneys fees for plaintiffs alone[2], regardless of the case’s outcome. Meaning, even if a defendant is found innocent of libel he or she may still have to pay the legal fees for his or her prosecution.

Does this violate free speech in America? Hell yes! (but what’s new…) Oprah Winfrey is perhaps the most recognized case where the meat industry tried to sue her for “food libel”. She won, but the battle isn’t over. In the 13 states listed above, you can be sued for libel if you go against the will of the industrial food complex.

More about this can be found in the movie Food Inc. Do your homework… support local farms, eat local, and support the projects that support local farms.
source

Don't get my wrong. I know healthier is better. I prefer healthier. But healthy is hard to get to where I live. Having no car and crappy public transportation doesn't help. I'm just making this point though to show why other people shouldn't judge those who eat unhealthy. Sometimes it's their only option because of time, money, resources, who knows what else. Some people just don't know better. Yes, to a certain extent it's our own responsibility what we put into our bodies, but on the other hand, some of it is a matter of circumstance.

I totally understand your position. I really do.

Ramen isn't too high in sodium if you don't use the seasoning packet. Son will fix the noodles without the seasonings. He then makes a vinaigrette to put over them and adds steamed veggies and cheese.

I have 2 people in my family who refuse to eat beans. They tear up hubby's system and daughter just hates them totally.

1st: I'm skeptical that this is enough food to feed a family of five for one week, especially if it includes a grown man and growing teenager (many families tend to have children who are close in age, so a family of 5 might include at least 2 teenagers, if not 3). Teenagers eat a MASSIVE amount of food. My mother used to spend at least 600$ a month to feed three teenage boys and herself when we were younger. Also, frozen vegetables do not provide as much food as fresh vegetables (serving size is hardly accurate) nor are they as nutritious, and fresh veggies, depending on season, can often cost MUCH more than frozen.

well - raising family isn't cheap. maybe they should think before making more babies.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

Raising a family is NOT cheap at all. Good thing my girlfriend gets 450 something a month in food stamps to feed all of us. We are not rich and we are poor and barely have money left to spend on expensive vacations or other shit.

Ramen isn't too high in sodium if you don't use the seasoning packet. Son will fix the noodles without the seasonings. He then makes a vinaigrette to put over them and adds steamed veggies and cheese.

I have 2 people in my family who refuse to eat beans. They tear up hubby's system and daughter just hates them totally.

My hubby just created a healthy dish with Ramen Noodles..

He cooks them without the seasoning and drains the noodles. Then, he mixes them up with different kinds of sliced raw veggies..the more variety in color, the better.

My favorite is Ramen noodles with sliced raw mushrooms, green onions, brussel sprouts, carrots, snow peas, and tomatoes topped with salsa. Yum!!!

ramen noodles info:
Ramen noodles nutrition facts

that's why i don't eat ramen noodles everyday because of high in sodium. my mom and sisters told me, "eat ramen noodles is not good for everyday".

so after i eat ramen noodle soup then i drank alot of water.

yea, some of them don't want to eat beans, that's a food picky. well, before i refuse to eat beans or lentils then i'm like "why not give it a try"? then later i liked it because it goes with a flavor not just beans or lentils..mixed with spices, vegetables, tomatoes sauce and pasta. that was my boyfriend's cooking.

why set up many fast foods chain everywhere then who blame it on?

people who's a obesity eating junk foods too much or always eat fast foods all the times.

i watched in health class "supersize me" dvd movie.

Back