Bush Promises Veto of Stem Cell Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
LuciaDisturbed said:
Buckdodgers, you make absolutely no sense. :roll:

He makes sense if you consider one thing. He wants only to regain his hearing. He doesn't care about anything else.

I'm not too clear on the ramfications of the veto... It is to my understanding that the bill asked for Federal funding of stem cell research? Even if George vetoes the bill, what's to stop private investment? Surely, that can happen and stem cell research could be a virtual magnet for private investment, easy!

Unless I'm missing something, of course. Also, I have some reservations about the veto; Other countries may not be as constrained and will fund such research, anyway. The veto actually puts America at a disadvantage in a crucial emerging medical field, behind the rest of the world.

Oceanbreeze said:
You tell me. What else do you care about besides your hearing loss?
I care about the Lord Jesus Christ as my savior.I Care about Winning the Lotto. And other things as well.

Eyeth said:
I'm not too clear on the ramfications of the veto... It is to my understanding that the bill asked for Federal funding of stem cell research? Even if George vetoes the bill, what's to stop private investment? Surely, that can happen and stem cell research could be a virtual magnet for private investment, easy!

Unless I'm missing something, of course. Also, I have some reservations about the veto; Other countries may not be as constrained and will fund such research, anyway. The veto actually puts America at a disadvantage in a crucial emerging medical field, behind the rest of the world.

Medical research is extremely expensive, particularly for "niche" treatments like the ones we expect stem cells to help with. Without federal funding in part, it's hard to do that. Plus: let's say you're a university that gets money for bio research from the government (as most of the big ones do). If you wanted to do embryonic stem cell research, you'd have to pay for a new lab, new equipment, etc - no repurposing of items used by the lab that gets federal funding.

Tousi said:
I'm not following this line of thought too closely but on another tangent, isn't this the first and only veto of Bush's time in the White House?
Yes, you are right...

Oceanbreeze said:
The Right to Life movement.

I see, Bush need know better or democracts will gain the seats.

volcomskatz said:
I see, Bush need know better or democracts will gain the seats.

That's probably gonna happen, anyway. Bush is in his last term of office. I really think we'll have Republican president again, but I believe that the Democrats with retake one of the Houses, which isn't a bad thing.

August 2001

President Bush said:

As a result of private research, more than 60 genetically diverse stem cell lines already exist. They were created from embryos that have already been destroyed, and they have the ability to regenerate themselves indefinitely, creating ongoing opportunities for research. I have concluded that we should allow federal funds to be used for research on these existing stem cell lines, where the life and death decision has already been made.

Leading scientists tell me research on these 60 lines has great promise that could lead to breakthrough therapies and cures. This allows us to explore the promise and potential of stem cell research without crossing a fundamental moral line, by providing taxpayer funding that would sanction or encourage further destruction of human embryos that have at least the potential for life.

I also believe that great scientific progress can be made through aggressive federal funding of research on umbilical cord placenta, adult and animal stem cells which do not involve the same moral dilemma. This year, your government will spend $250 million on this important research.

The full text of his speech:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/08/20010809-2.html

The recent bill battle was for an increase in federal funding.

Oceanbreeze said:
That's probably gonna happen, anyway. Bush is in his last term of office. I really think we'll have Republican president again, but I believe that the Democrats with retake one of the Houses, which isn't a bad thing.
Its not? Lets see you dont see this as bad thing?

{edited: -removed- ~RR}

Last edited by a moderator:
Reba said:
August 2001

President Bush said:

As a result of private research, more than 60 genetically diverse stem cell lines already exist. They were created from embryos that have already been destroyed, and they have the ability to regenerate themselves indefinitely, creating ongoing opportunities for research. I have concluded that we should allow federal funds to be used for research on these existing stem cell lines, where the life and death decision has already been made.

Leading scientists tell me research on these 60 lines has great promise that could lead to breakthrough therapies and cures. This allows us to explore the promise and potential of stem cell research without crossing a fundamental moral line, by providing taxpayer funding that would sanction or encourage further destruction of human embryos that have at least the potential for life.

I also believe that great scientific progress can be made through aggressive federal funding of research on umbilical cord placenta, adult and animal stem cells which do not involve the same moral dilemma. This year, your government will spend $250 million on this important research.

Here's the problem. Those lines that exist are largely contaminated or exhausted - these things don't last forever. And umbilical, placenta, and adult stem cells have some potential, but are not totipotent. Animal stem cells are useless; that introduces all sorts of xenotransplantation issues into the mix that negate the adaptability benefits of stem cells.

Reba said:
August 2001

President Bush said:

In the meanwhile,Im still deaf,Other People are blind,People are dying from Lung cancer,Heart Disease,Alzheimers Disease and Parkinsons disease.Ronald Reagan died from Alzheimers Disease and i hope Nancy Reagan gets even and speaks at the DNC Convention and Blames the republicans for their selfcentered and heartless attitude towards peoples lives and support Hillary Rodham Clinton for President in 08.

Buckdodgers said:
In the meanwhile,Im still deaf,Other People are blind,People are dying from Lung cancer,Heart Disease,Alzheimers Disease and Parkinsons disease.Ronald Reagan died from Alzheimers Disease and i hope Nancy Reagan gets even and speaks at the DNC Convention and Blames the republicans for their selfcentered and heartless attitude towards peoples lives and support Hillary Rodham Clinton for President in 08.

:roll:

What makes you think Hilary will be any better than her husband was?

I think you have a better chance of seeing Ron Reagan supporting Hilary than Nancy. I'm not saying you're entirely wrong here, though. At least, not about this. Nancy Reagan should be VERY angry at the Republicans for the them for it. She has more grace than that.

But, as for your support of Hilary... are you nuts?

Dear Buckdodgers,

Fred Phelps is coming for your birthday soon and don't give wrong about homosexual.

then... You suck!!!

Your social teacher, Volcomskatz ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back