Brain differences in political orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you denying that the former Soviet Union was to the extreme left of the political spectrum?

The extreme left of whose political spectrum? You are talking about a completely different political system that the U.S.

'Likes' on my post, eh? Hmm... I suppose that I am one of those "losers". Eh. :)

What if it isn't? You are being too literal. The brain differnces are the result of a difference in the way one thinks about and perceives the world around them. That way of thnking and perceiving is consistent across many domains, not just the political domain. It just happens that the political domain is one in which the consisitencies can be easily demonstrated.
OK, the topic of this thread is "Brain differences in political orientation." I'm asking, how do the brain differences manifest themselves in countries where they have no, one, or several political parties? You explained how it manifests in a two-party system such as America has. So please explain how it manifests in countries that have fewer or more parties than America has.

She is playing with you.

It is "sexual orientation".

OK, the topic of this thread is "Brain differences in political orientation." I'm asking, how do the brain differences manifest themselves in countries where they have no, one, or several political parties? You explained how it manifests in a two-party system such as America has. So please explain how it manifests in countries that have fewer or more parties than America has.

Just because they do not have the same political system that we do does not mean that within their own system they do not have conservative orientations and liberal orientations. You are referring to culture bound group phenomena. You will still see the same individual differences.

Are you denying that the former Soviet Union was to the extreme left of the political spectrum?

I was pointing out that the Soviet Union powers that be behaves much like the far right would like to govern the USA by dictate what what to worship (no separation of God and State) or ( not to worship) and they certainly feared being invaded.

And the Soviets had a great fear of dissent from within. Just witness the KBG and the Stalinist purges . As for America, Edgar J. Hoover certainly rings a bell for many here in the USA. We had no purges? The Japanese-Americans during the 40s and the Native Americans would beg to differ.

It's not so much the ideologies that matter. It's our response to our world that matter. Extreme examples of authorianism has always been a concern to me whatever the idealogies are.

She is playing with you.

It is "sexual orientation".

Thanks for supporting the reseach.:laugh2:

This has nothing to do with sexual orientation. But again, it is not surprising that you would be confusing the two. In fact, it could be predicted.

"How many religious conservatives do you know that are liberal politically?"

Plenty, actually. Look at the large number of Catholics who consistently vote Democrat.

Catholic Democrats

Plenty, actually. Look at the large number of Catholics who consistently vote Democrat.

Catholic Democrats

Would they be Liberal or Conservative democrats? Would they be social conservatives but liberal when it comes to government?

Maybe we'd have to dissect their brains to see how this anomaly comes about, with even weekly attendees at Mass (a conservative religious behavior, surely), still vote Democrat in large numbers.

Which brain did the citizens of the Soviet Union display? Emotional or logical?

What about the people of N. Korea? China? Iran? Saudi Arabia?

Catholic Democrats

Catholics could hardly be considered conservative when compared to the fundamentalists.:roll:

Which brain did the citizens of the Soviet Union display? Emotional or logical?

What about the people of N. Korea? China? Iran? Saudi Arabia?

You see, you are being too dichotomous. It is not about displaying an "emotional brain" or a "logical brain". It is about a particular conservative or liberal way of thinking that leads to greater volume in specific brain areas known to govern those specific functions.

Maybe we'd have to dissect their brains to see how this anomaly comes about, with even weekly attendees at Mass (a conservative religious behavior, surely), still vote Democrat in large numbers.

Nope. All it takes is fMRI. No dissection necessary. And it isn't an anomaly.

No, again you are being too literal. Weekly attendance at Mass has nothing to do with the tendency toward a conservative world view or a liberal world view.

But I am seeing evidence that supports exactly what the reseach has shown. :cool2:

Catholics could hardly be considered conservative when compared to the fundamentalists.:roll:

Speaking of being "dichotomous"... :roll:

I would consider a Catholic who goes to Mass every week a fundamentalist Catholic. Devout, consistent, and yes, conservative, probably, in many ways. But according to the percentages, quite likely to be "liberal," politically.

I wonder how I could categorize Mel Gibson. :hmm:

Not all atheists are liberal. I know of one very well known politician who's one in the GOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back