Which country best for Deafies?

There are much more technologically-advanced countries than the US. Take Japan for example.

and korea! :D

Not just technology but the amount of services available.

I don't have the time to keep going back and forth like this. You can have your opinion, and I can have mine. All I know is that there are probably better countries for the deaf than the US or Canada. You are probably biased considering you seem to know little of the world around you.

First, we need to agree on what points we are looking for.

Sweden has one of the best deaf awareness in the world. Their annual deaf awareness event started in the late 1920s. The first deaf awareness in the US was by Colorado folks in the 70s - 50 years later.
Sweden has awesome interpreting services as well. That is on top of many other government related benefits that offers the deaf swedes more equality in life.

If we are going after techonology. Korea pwns the US by a huge margin. They had videophones on their cell phones nine years ago.

Government benefit for the deaf: denmark, norway, scotland, and switzerland all rock in the catergory.

For jobs: I've been told the government will provide you with one instead of you looking for one in scotland.

Its how you look at it.

I don't know about you all, but videophone and telephones is my worst enemy. Videophone is only good for people with ASL. Now if you are deaf who use ASL, you don't really need free "hearing aids", that's for people who depend on verbal communication (and some use it for other reasons as well). So for deaf people who use mostly verbal communication using the hearing they have left, I would say free hearing aids would be good for them, but not for other deaf who don't.

What we are looking for is people who really accommodate deaf people of all sort of communication method that will help them be independent as possible, afterall they are adults and parents too.

I know France and Sweden have video relay service available...

And from what I hear from tourists, Japan has become a lot more deaf-friendly in the last ten years-- much so than the States.

Might be nice to have some references and links.

might be better if you keep an open mind and listen instead of thumping on your chest hard, bragging about USA this, USA that. :)

Yeah, but the "USA" chant is stereotypical of rednecks and people like Homer Simpson. Nothing wrong with nominating the United States, however... it's the implication of the chant that makes the big difference. The "USA" chant has a very cultural superiority feel to it, which is often frowned upon.

Yeah, but the "USA" chant is stereotypical of rednecks and people like Homer Simpson. Nothing wrong with nominating the United States, however... it's the implication of the chant that makes the big difference. The "USA" chant has a very cultural superiority feel to it, which is often frowned upon.

kinda hypocritical when asking for references and links when others mentioned other nations but gave none when mentioning USA :dunno:

Yeah, that's bad when chanting "USA" at the Olympics. And that makes them "rednecks," too?
*sarcasm off*

Yeah, that's bad when chanting "USA" at the Olympics.

huh? that's apple-orange. Chanting "USA" at Olympics is supporting for your home teams.

OP's asking which country is best for deafies and all you said is "USA" and then... you demanded for references and links when others mentioned about other countries

:dunno:

:gpost:

I always liked England. First of all just because I like England, and plus if your hearing aid needs replaced, they will just give you one, and even batteries.

I always liked England. First of all just because I like England, and plus if your hearing aid needs replaced, they will just give you one, and even batteries.

That's what I heard too, from Lissa! :shock: I wish we could have that policy here.

These are my opinions:

United States, Norway, Sweden, Canada, Great Britain, Poland, Australia, Argentina, Greenland, Austria, United Arab Emirates, Spain, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Germany, Finland, France, Belgium, Japan and Greece.

I may have overlooked some.

I would say that the top five deaf-friendly countries are:
1) United States
2) Canada
3) Sweden
4) Norway
5) Great Britain

These are my opinions:

United States, Norway, Sweden, Canada, Great Britain, Poland, Australia, Argentina, Greenland, Austria, United Arab Emirates, Spain, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Germany, Finland, France, Belgium, Japan and Greece.

I may have overlooked some.

I would say that the top five deaf-friendly countries are:
1) United States
2) Canada
3) Sweden
4) Norway
5) Great Britain

Now there's a guy that isn't acting like a grit. There's a reason why he's a moderator. ;)

Back