What did Biden mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wwwwhhhhooooaaaa let's take it easy there, cowboy. War's hell. Soldiers get captured, shot down, ambushed, etc. McCain held on for as long as he can and he lived to tell the tale. Granted - he bragged about it too much in politic but as for American soldiers - he's a hero. He should just leave it at that.

The fact is, he did not endure anything that any of his fellow POWs didn't endure. But you don't see them running for President based on that qualification, now, do you?

The McCain of 2008 is definitely not the McCain of 2000. No mistake about that.

I used to be a supporter of him around that time. Now, I am wondering where he has gone!

The fact is, he did not endure anything that any of his fellow POWs didn't endure. But you don't see them running for President based on that qualification, now, do you?
The fact is, Barack Obama did not do anything that any of his fellow community organizers didn't do. But you don't see them running for President based on that qualification, now, do you?

I still wonder if you would be saying the same things if the tables were turned and Obama was the one who suffered as a POW in Vietnam.

The fact is, Barack Obama did not do anything that any of his fellow community organizers didn't do. But you don't see them running for President based on that qualification, now, do you?

I still wonder if you would be saying the same things if the tables were turned and Obama was the one who suffered as a POW in Vietnam.

Why do you think that being a POW would qualify you more to run a country than being a community organizer?

And I don't hear Obama repeating over and over and over ad nauseaum that he has been a community organizer. But McCain has focused continually on his POW status. Would I vote for someone who actually has experience in putting social programs in place over a man that spent time in a POW camp when the office involves community organization on a grand scale? Absolutely. It shows that the man has the ability to institute social change. Being a POW certainly doesn't indicate that ability. And, in case you have forgotten, some of the POWs that served their time in the camps with John McCain aren't too terribly impressed with his capabilities as a politician, and especially as a prospective President, either.

Please enlighten me as to what skills one learns as a POW that in any way facillitates the effective running of a nation.

I don't care about what anybody did back in early age. It's irrelevant since it's just too damn long ago and time changes a lot. People change a lot too. Just about every President has some foolish youth moments. McCain's college record is not really relevant to his political background. It's better to see his recent track record and patterns of it. He did real good back in 2000 and somehow.... things were going steadily downhill (that's just IMO).

Obama smoked some marijuana when he was a young man and so did Bill Clinton. Is that really relevant to now? My answer is - who cares? :smoking:

No, you don't get the difference.

I personally don't care about McCain's and Obama's private background but their personality/character and their duty background is mainly important.

No, McCain's personality tell a lot that he never does change!!! He don't even know how to show his respect on people but rude and mock on them... I remember his word that's time Obama respect the Pentage for tell him to not visit injured troops in Germany due political reason but McCain said that he would visit injured troops to ignore the Pentage... It shows itself that he never change!!!!

...And I don't hear Obama repeating over and over and over ad nauseaum that he has been a community organizer.
Maybe because that's nothing to brag about.

...some of the POWs that served their time in the camps with John McCain aren't too terribly impressed with his capabilities as a politician, and especially as a prospective President, either.
Some are, some aren't. So?

Maybe they didn't want to; everyone has different goals in life. So?

He crashed SEVERAL planes, not just one.

It also says in that story that he also gave the enemy information that possibly compromised the mission of his fellow soldiers.
Your military expertise and experience is...?

What do you really know about fighter pilot records and POW experiences?

Apparently not much.

How many POW's have you met, worked with, and served under? How many fighter pilots have you known?

You are not insulting just McCain but insulting American pilots and POWs who have had similar experiences.

No wonder vets and POWs don't want to talk about their experiences. If all they get is criticism and second guessing by civilians, then why should they open up?

Why do you think that being a POW would qualify you more to run a country than being a community organizer?

And I don't hear Obama repeating over and over and over ad nauseaum that he has been a community organizer. But McCain has focused continually on his POW status. Would I vote for someone who actually has experience in putting social programs in place over a man that spent time in a POW camp when the office involves community organization on a grand scale? Absolutely. It shows that the man has the ability to institute social change. Being a POW certainly doesn't indicate that ability. And, in case you have forgotten, some of the POWs that served their time in the camps with John McCain aren't too terribly impressed with his capabilities as a politician, and especially as a prospective President, either.

Please enlighten me as to what skills one learns as a POW that in any way facillitates the effective running of a nation.

The point is, the fact that others did the same thing and did not run for president does not mean that thing is not a qualification to run. Anyway, to answer your question, I'll repeat what I said several times previously.

John McCain has his faults, but that torture experience of his shows that he has mental toughness- something that's necessary to be president.
It's not an experience where he learned any skills (or so I assume). It's one that revealed his strength. That's far from everything one needs to be a president, but I certainly think it's a positive thing to have on his resume. It was an important experience in his life, but as much as he talks about it, he's never said that it's his main qualification to be president. Or did I miss that?

I'm not terribly impressed by John McCain the politician either, but I do see him as a hero. By refusing the offer to be released and refusing to sign any more statements, he sacrificed more for this country than most any one of us could possibly imagine. So the question remains- if it was Barack Obama who had that experience in Vietnam, would you have made the same criticisms against him?

As I recall, JFK used his military experience to get himself elected so it's nothing new.

As I recall, JFK used his military experience to get himself elected so it's nothing new.

Kerry has more military experience than Bush does and he lost.

McCain has more military experience than Bush and he lost every time he ran GOP candidancy.

Kerry has more military experience than Bush does and he lost.

McCain has more military experience than Bush and he lost every time he ran GOP candidancy.
I didn't say it was a guarantee for winning. I just said that it was used by other candidates as a campaigning tool in the past, so it's nothing new. I used the example of JFK because it was clear and memorable.

don't forget Eisenhower! I guess it pretty much depends on how you use your military experience for political gain. John Kerry's use of his military experience was shady. JFK - probably with modesty and respect. McCain went overboard on it. GWB - a farce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back