Tree cutting problem

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
The ongoing saga of our trees . . . sigh.

In our subdivision, because we are in the town limits, we have to get permission before we can cut down our trees.

Our next door neighbor finally got permission to cut down a few of their trees. One of them is a giant pine tree that is between their house and our house. It's a very scary tree. Every time the wind blows, it twists like it's going to snap.

The only reason the tree board gave approval to cut it down is because it's within five feet of our neighbor's house.

(Because our neighbors are elderly, and in poor health, they've asked Hubby to make all the arrangements for the permit, estimates, cutting arrangements, etc.)

When the tree service came out, the estimator man told us that it was a very dangerous tree. (Nothing new to us.)

Here's the problem.

It's too dangerous to leave in place, and it's too dangerous to cut down.

At first the tree service guy said they could cut it down for $1,700 if they used a crane to remove it, and if they cut down the magnolia in front of it. They warned us to not be in our garage (next to the tree), and for the neighbors to not be in that side of their house. We planned to park our cars down the street. He warned us that we'll probably end up with deep ruts in our yard from the sections that fall, and from the impressions from the crane legs.

Today, he told us, it's just to dangerous to attempt. He doesn't want to risk the lives of his crew! Also, he's afraid that the crane weight might crack our drive way.

Hubby and the tree guy are still trying to resolve the problem. He's checking with another crane operator who does bridge construction. It's possible if they put a larger crane in the middle of the street and work from there. It will cost a lot more.

What do you do when it's too dangerous to leave alone, and too dangerous to cut down? :hmm:

So this is one of those very TALL ones, not the wide ones?

This is the tree, in the middle of the picture. The base of the trunk is behind the magnolia tree. On the left of the picture is the neighbor's house. On the right is our garage and my Jeep.

Attachments

• STLpine6.jpg
    STLpine6.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 63
You got a picture for us to visualize and give opinions? :hmm:

I'm not an expert, but as a child at my parent's home we had a huge Jacaranda (probably over 40+ years old) that we've cut a several times over the course I was growing up. Another tree near the street was planted by the city.

Some of the trees in the neighborhood are city property and it is their responsibility to cut or remove it, you can actually petition to get it removed or trimmed by the city, but I'm not sure if this applies for SC.

In this picture, you can see the height of it, in the center.

Attachments

• STLpine2.jpg
    STLpine2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 127
The only thing I can think of is to use a lighter piece of equipment rather than a crane, but something that can reach high enough to start working from the top and work your way down in small sections. But I assume you guys already discussed that.

I have 100+ year old trees all over my backyard. Some of them make me VERY nervous during storms, so I get where you're coming from. Yet it almost seems un-feasible to try to cut some of them down. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I've cut down plenty of trees like that with no problem. I just climb the tree as high as I can,tie a rope to the section being cut, and have a few guys pull as I cut. It takes nerve, but can be done.

In this picture, you can see the height of it, in the center.

wwhhhoooooooaaaaaaaaa :eek3: that's just a very bad accident waiting to happen!

$1,700!?!? wow... my friend and his father did it for free for me. I had extremely large tree as tall as yours and as thick as... thick lol. It finally snapped under heavy storm. The reason why they did it for free was because I was his good friend and I did a lot for him - tutoring, computer, hockey, etc. and also donated my old Macintosh computer to him.

the cheapest solution I can think of is finding a brave tree climber who can cut tree from top to bottom.

wwhhhoooooooaaaaaaaaa :eek3: that's just a very bad accident waiting to happen!

$1,700!?!? wow... my friend and his father did it for free for me. I had extremely large tree as tall as yours and as thick as... thick lol. It finally snapped under heavy storm. The reason why they did it for free was because I was his good friend and I did a lot for him - tutoring, computer, hockey, etc. and also donated my old Macintosh computer to him.

the cheapest solution I can think of is finding a brave tree climber who can cut tree from top to bottom.

That is the ONLY solution for this kind of situation.

That tree needs to be down for sure and I wouldn't do it myself! I do cut down trees for firewood and I did saw one nice huge Oak tree, very similar as yours. I turned it down. I do not want risk of any damages. The damage is very likely in this situation. And I do not want to be liable for any damages.

Since it is pine, no one wants that tree for anything except camp fire. I never want pine for firewood at home. So, $1,700 may be little too low. Liability insurance ain't cheap these days.

Wow, I do think you need that tree taken down. It is too tall. The top seems too thin and would not support well in the even of major storm, would topple on either of your homes.

Estimating by your photos the diameter of the bottom trunk looks like it's ~20" - 25", looks similar to the size of the Jeep's wheel+tire. I would not know how to cut one of those, we rarely have large trees like that except palms around here.

The only way to do that tree has been stated, crane not necessary- that's the price for one tree in this area and haul away.

That's what I was thinking too, to cut it down in sections.

Another suggestion: my dad used to own land that was chock full of pine trees. He was calling everybody about cutting a number of them down and the prices were crazy, like yours. He finally found one who actually PAID my dad. Why? They wanted the pine lumber. They didn't pay much, only like $30 per tree, but they cut down hundreds. So my dad got something little out of the deal, didn't have to pay a penny. Maybe you could look at other types of companies rather than charge-for-tree-cutting companies.

I agree. I been cutting trees for 0veer 30 years, and anything in your situation, I let the pros do it. ONLY because they have insurance. I have cut down 2 trees in that situation and its no fun. I had a steel cable winched to direction I wanted it to fall, but only one had a branch still go to a neighbors porch and u can guess the rest. ....:aw:

Ruts are easy to fix in a yard, but driveways is no fun to try to fix. I'd let them drive the whole length in yard and ruin it instead of driving and put support pads on yard when they can. If he says he cant do it without use of driveway- he should be able to purchase protection pads like 3/4 plywood for driveway. Otherwise get someone else.

There are more tree crane service guys then tree monkeys using ropes.

That's what I was thinking too, to cut it down in sections.

Another suggestion: my dad used to own land that was chock full of pine trees. He was calling everybody about cutting a number of them down and the prices were crazy, like yours. He finally found one who actually PAID my dad. Why? They wanted the pine lumber. They didn't pay much, only like $30 per tree, but they cut down hundreds. So my dad got something little out of the deal, didn't have to pay a penny. Maybe you could look at other types of companies rather than charge-for-tree-cutting companies.

oooo that's a good idea! advertising to whoever who is interested in having a pine tree for free.

yea we had to hire the professional one and had gotten the next door's permission and our local hallcity. It costs us for about 700 bucks last summer.(the most recent summer).

You got a picture for us to visualize and give opinions? :hmm:

I'm not an expert, but as a child at my parent's home we had a huge Jacaranda (probably over 40+ years old) that we've cut a several times over the course I was growing up. Another tree near the street was planted by the city.

Some of the trees in the neighborhood are city property and it is their responsibility to cut or remove it, you can actually petition to get it removed or trimmed by the city, but I'm not sure if this applies for SC.
This tree is not located on city easement. It's on private property, so the homeowner is responsible for it.

They don't want to attempt that? Ridiculous. I mean, it's a big tree and all, but professional tree cutters are supposed to be able to deal with this. They shouldn't need a huge crane, and they should have an experienced tree climber who can lop off all the limbs. They should be able to take out the main trunk using some creativity and precision cutting. My older brother works for a tree cutter in California. He's told me stories that make this look like child's play.

Have you gone to any other cutters and got other opinions?

Back