The Passion of The Christ

Liebling:-))) said:
True, I can image the movies are much better than read the bibles.
Movies are easier to watch, but the problem is that movies don't follow the whole true story. Even Mel Gibson admits that his movie is his personal interpretation of only one part of the story about Jesus. Only the Bible has the full truth.

I am glad that Mel used actual Scripture verses in the film. God's Word never returns void, even when used in a movie (Isaiah 55:11).

Reading the Bible is diffcult to understand what it means.. but, having a movie about the Bible could understand people better..

Passion of Christ made me understand the pains Jesus went through, and understanding why it happened to Jesus.

I have a dvd of Passion of Christ.:)

Well, the movie had a little bit different the Bible. But, only had to be true by Bible Study book was true. But, the movie a little bit not same by Bible Study.

logtar said:
On a lighter note (and not to derail) but the other day I was in circuit city buying some geeky stuff, and I am waiting in line.

So like always I am just waiting for the people in front of me to just move out of the way... I got to go (mind you I had just spent like 30 mins just browsing) it must be the proximity to the door. Then I start to overhear the conversation between a kid and his Dad, the people in front of me in line. They finally get to the register and the gentleman asks the lady.

Dad: Is this movie in English?
Cashier: No sir, the is subtlitled.
Son: See Dad I told you.
Dad: So you mean to tell me I have to read.
Cashier: Yes sir.
Dad: I don't want it.

I had to laugh my ass off, but I contained myself until they were kind of getting far away. How lazy, he did not want to read the movie. I grew up in another country so I am used to subtitles, they have never bothered me in any way. I love foreing films also, it amuses me that people can be that lazy.
Yeah it seems disrespectful that he wont buy it just because it's subtitled...BIG DEAL! even though the movie has won many awards, and other forgien movies with subtitles has won alot of awards too, including "crouching tigher, hidden dragon" and they dont complain about reading the subtitles because it's a friggin' forgien movie and it is a good reason to show subtitles without having to redo the movie with english anyway...it is obvious that he is extremly lazy of reading the subtitles in the movie...he should've know that from the start that the people in the movie speaks latin...DUH! :roll:

illustrator said:
How do you feel about it when they release that movie about Jesus in rate "R"?

I have read lately on newspaper that Jewish and Catholic feel offense about this movie. :eek:

The movie has been released on DVD now, but I'm not seeing it. I've heard people who've seen it say it's really intense and hard to watch. I'm not much for gore, myself, so I'm going to pass.

As for the controversy surrounding the movie, I don't understand it. I think people like to buy into hype, though, so whatever controversy that was generated only served to promote the movie, I think. 'Ol Mel did quite well for himself. I can tell you that much!! LOL

Reba said:
Movies are easier to watch, but the problem is that movies don't follow the whole true story. Even Mel Gibson admits that his movie is his personal interpretation of only one part of the story about Jesus. Only the Bible has the full truth.

I am glad that Mel used actual Scripture verses in the film. God's Word never returns void, even when used in a movie (Isaiah 55:11).

The "Passion of Jesus" in the movie is totally opposed from the Bible (God's Word).

I have a question at the end of the movie you see the devil screaming what was that all about?

Cheri said:
I have a question at the end of the movie you see the devil screaming what was that all about?

I think the devil finally realized that Jesus had successfully accomplished what God wanted him to do, and that is why the devil is screaming in frustration and rage.

Safari said:
The "Passion of Jesus" in the movie is totally opposed from the Bible (God's Word).

Well, it is Mel Gibson's interpretion of the part about Jesus dying on the cross according to his Catholic beliefs, I think.

Toonces said:
I think the devil finally realized that Jesus had successfully accomplished what God wanted him to do, and that is why the devil is screaming in frustration and rage.

Oh.. thank you for responding to my post.. and another thing I wanted to know if... Jesus did spend 3 days in Hell before rosing to heaven?

I almost laughed at someone who wasn't going to go see this movie caused it was captioned.... until they told me they couldn't read.

The controversy is usually about the Jewish people being blamed for wanting Jesus dead and having the Romans crucify him.

I think the movie was a good representation of the Gospel, but as the case with all movies, the book is better.

I agree with Toonces regarding the devil's frustration, and am also curious if it may have to do with the souls Jesus set free from prison.

Did Jesus go to Heaven or Hell when he died?
Arguements:
Heaven: When the thief spoke to Jesus on the Cross, Jesus Replied;
Luke 23:43 - And Jesus said unto him, Truely I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

However, as I am of the opinion that Jesus went to Sheol when he died, I will explain why.

First; understand that Sheol was split into two parts. These parts were close enough that people on one side, could talk to people on the other, but they could not cross.

Luke 16:22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried; 23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes, and saw Abraham far off and Laz'arus in his bosom. 24 And he called out, 'Father Abraham, have mercy upon me, and send Laz'arus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am in anguish in this flame.' 25 But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Laz'arus in like manner evil things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish.

The Bible says Jesus Descended, and when he Ascended he took a host of captives

Ephesians 4:8 Therefore it is said, "When he ascended on high he led a host of captives, and he gave gifts to men." 9 (In saying, "He ascended," what does it mean but that he had also descended into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is he who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.)

When Jesus rose from the dead on the third day, he said to Mary:

John 20:17 Jesus said to her, "Do not hold me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brethren and say to them, I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God."

Did Jesus go to Hell or Heaven when he died?

There's also a few scripture verses:

1 Peter 3:18-20 (King James Verison)

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

...So you could say that before Jesus went to Heaven to meet God, he did go to the place where rebellious and disobedient souls of people were held in spirit prison from the days of Noah till Jesus' time. That place can be called "Hell" of a sort, pretty much similiar to what DreamSlayer said.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Reba said:
Movies are easier to watch, but the problem is that movies don't follow the whole true story.
Bother you? It bothered me because it is unscriptural. I saw it last year and caught some parts of this movie - unscriptural. Other parts of it are Scriptural.

VamPyroX said:
This reminds me of another movie that was released many years ago... The Temptation of Christ. It was a very controversial movie that was released during the 80's. They actually had a protest outside of theaters that were showing the movie. I don't know how that movie did but it still exists in some video rental stores.
Hmm, it made them pissed off or something... it must be good movie. I definitely am going to look for that movie. [edit] In fact, I checked the reviews at Amazon.com, I can see why these people were whining about it. However, I will buy this movie for sure. [/edit]

VamPyroX said:
Personally, I think that people should back off. The real story behind the Bible is darker than what people think. Yes, people were abused or beaten to death. Yes, Jesus was nailed to the cross. Yes, Jesus was beaten. Yes, a lot of blood was spilled in the Bible. So, in a way... they are "following" the Bible in more realistic detail than those boring religious movies. It's time that people realized how serious it is than just covering things up.
*nods* good post.

Back