Some thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1980, the age criteria for use of this device were lowered from 18 to 2 years and several hundred children were subsequently implanted. During the late 70s, work was also being done in Australia, where Clark and colleagues were developing a multi-channel cochlear implant later to be known as the Cochlear Nucleus Freedom.

FDA guidelines CI 1980 - Google Search capabilities compared to House’s single-channel device.

Sorry, I just cannot allow mistaken information to go uncorrected. Bott's site was correct.

I see bunches of us from deaf schools and mainstream schools, oral only, total communication, ASL, all telling you about the same thing.

You just don't seem to notice.:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

So does that mean that we are close minded Deaf people who refuse to use CI and speak in an oral only environment in the classroom settings without interpreters? I know you said that you sign ASL and your daughter is in a ASL school. But you seem to be obsess on her hearing with the CI and get her to speak better, like as if it is a miracle which it is not so. You are dreaming like many hearing parents and so are many hearing Audists wanting so much to have Deaf children to hear and speak perfectly. This is a cop-out. You do not know what we have been put through whether we have hearing aids or CI. It just does not work that way. What I can not stand is to have the Audists put us back in the mainstream school with no ASL and no ASL interpreters like being back in the 1940s to 1970s. We have been frustrated very long time with oral only method and we just don't like it not one bit. That is our experience when we try to tell the hearing people about our problem, not to fix us. Just leave us the way we are and let us strive what we know how to respond in the Deaf education classroom, not in the hearing classrooms. You just don't get it. I feel sorry for you when you don't understand why we are fighting for our rights as Deaf people. You are just as blind as the rest of the hearing parents. :roll:

In 1980, the age criteria for use of this device were lowered from 18 to 2 years and several hundred children were subsequently implanted. During the late 70s, work was also being done in Australia, where Clark and colleagues were developing a multi-channel cochlear implant later to be known as the Cochlear Nucleus Freedom.

FDA guidelines CI 1980 - Google Search capabilities compared to House’s single-channel device.

Sorry, I just cannot allow mistaken information to go uncorrected. Bott's site was correct.

Thank you.

Then why all the post of oral approach only??

Just to stir up people goats?

Being Malicious? To be different, to draw attention to yourself?

Sounds ridiculous that you would post such in this forum to be hypocritical.

Because, people here say, everyday, that ASL or being in a bi-bi school does not impede speech development. Here is a study that would suggest otherwise. Instead of people reading it, offering other facts for the otherside, I am attacked and called an audist.

First attempt at electrical stimulation of the cochlea was 1790 by Volta.

He stuck two metal rods in his ears and connected them to current.

OUCH!

I would much rather the Deaf community speak for themselves, yes. Why should I assume that the majority agree with a lone hearing poster. I would like to see the information they have, and where they draw their conclusions from, not her's.

*sigh*

You have to remember the jillio has been around the Deaf community for 20+ years and have seen what works and what doesn't. Plus she has used her education and experience to betterment the Deaf community especially to get through some of the "thick-headed" ignoramous individuals out there.

How long have you been involved in the Deaf community? Not that long. :) Now--before you "jump me". Just remember that over time--your word , your activism in the Deaf community, your perspective as a parent of a Deaf child will carry weight. In the meantime--I suggest reading up on Deaf Heritage, read all the information that pertains to the culture and the community and continue to advocate for your daughter as well as for others in her situation.

Because, people here say, everyday, that ASL or being in a bi-bi school does not impede speech development. Here is a study that would suggest otherwise. Instead of people reading it, offering other facts for the otherside, I am attacked and called an audist.

We all read it and formed conclusions about the study. But if our opinions are not same as you, you are attacked. You think.

Not really true.

Come on guys....more posts. It would appear that the last few are being ignored again.

Thought you made a big point that you were not a literal thinker? Metaphor?:doh:

Okay you got me. :Owned:

I don't prefer literal thinking, but I can do it -- And that was just too good to pass up.

:laugh2:

I grew up in an oral only approach. I missed out on a whole lot. Even though my hearing was considered to be in the Normal hearing range when I was a child. I speak very well hear very well with my hearing aids. My hearing has deteriorated since and still is. I learned ASL when I was allowed to attend to a deaf school in my high school years. I truly blossomed with my SOCIAL SKILLS. I ended up not being as shy around people and more proud and acceptance towards my hearing loss. I did not feel I had to keep my Hearing aids covered up with my hair. I felt like I belonged.

Just to give you an idea about oral approach only.

Okay you got me. :Owned:

I don't prefer literal thinking, but I can do it -- And that was just too good to pass up.

:laugh2:

I forgive you.

Jillio, I have a date to babysit my granddaughter. We will sign in ASL.:wave:

Later guys.

Nobody here is saying that you're an audist. What they are trying to say is - They are also reconciling their experience that is correlated with this subject.

We all have tried to understand where you are exactly coming from and maybe in exchange for that - You could try and at least give it a chance for others to be able to correlate with this.

So with that, It may seem like you are being attacked about this but it is not at all in the sort for this. :)

Nobody here is saying that you're an audist. What they are trying to say is - They are also reconciling their experience that is correlated with this subject.

We all have tried to understand where you are exactly coming from and maybe in exchange for that - You could try and at least give it a chance for others to be able to correlate with this.

So with that, It may seem like you are being attacked about this but it is not at all in the sort for this. :)

I think our arguments have fallen on "deaf ears"-- so to speak. :lol:

so you believe bibi school and ASL that does impede speech development... but Jillio's son can do oral. What about Heather Whitestone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back