Parents want hearing school to get state funding

But - it does NOT say that the district, State or Federal Government is to pay for those services outside of their guidelines. It does not even matter what the IEP will show. My daughter's IEP showed that she needed 12 hours a week of individualized speech therapy. The school could not provide that and so I had to go into the next town and seek the help of a private company. Luckily her SSDI paid for it, but still, the school did not provide the services except for 3-4 hours a week.

You are absolutely correct. The goals in the IEP can be reached using any number of strategies. An IEP is also a general guideline, and would never specifically state that a child is to attend a particular school. It would only state what skills need to be developed, what the goals for the child is, and what methodology could be used to accomplish that.

They were NOT in violation of the law. We checked. When will you figure it out. I hired attorneys to double check. Social Security even checked and said that the school was not required to do it since they did not have the funds or manpower to do so.

Of course they weren't in violation of the law. An IEP is simply a written guideline of recommendations based on the child's deficits in functioning and the strategies that could be used to remediate.

Right, they are only legally bound by what is agreed to in the IEP. SO if they don't write it, it doesn't have to happen. But once they do, they have to provide it.

They are legally bound to address the issues as noted. However, they are not legally bound to do it in any specific way using any specific method.

12 hours of speech a week for that IEP would have been wasted. She was only at the school for a 1/2 day four days a week. That means she was at school for 16 hours a week. Having 12 hours weekly of speech would have not allowed her to have any school lessons at all and none of the other kids in the school would have any speech during those hours. Would have been inconsiderate of me to force the issue, when the LAW stated that the school was NOT REQUIRED to follow through. That was the judgement from the attorneys and social security. Social Security then took over and sent her to a Speech and Language Pathologist and paid the bill. We did that after she got out of her 1/2 day school. She spent 3 years in Preschool then moved to Kindergarten before I removed her from the public school system. All she learned was to change the diapers on twins who were wheelchair bound. She also helped one of them do wooden puzzles. That was it. She was 6 and did not know her alphabet or how to count. I couldn't get through to her. I decided to work full time with her and home school her. She jumped 3 years in the span of 2 years and was doing well and still taking speech in town.

This is a perfect example of a parent being responsible and doing what they need to do to make sure her child's needs are addressed; rather than expecting a government agency or a school system to do it for her. I applaud you.

This is a perfect example of a parent being responsible and doing what they need to do to make sure her child's needs are addressed; rather than expecting a government agency or a school system to do it for her. I applaud you.

Are you saying that allowing the school to ignore your child's IEP is a good thing?

Why would they suggest and agree to something, sign a legal document saying they will proide the services and then not do it? Why was it agreed to by you or them? If it wasn't going to happen, and you didn't want it to, and neither did they, why write it in the IEP?

Because that is not what an IEP does. You are very mistaken about the purpose and function of an IEP, as well as the legal issues surrounding it.

They are legally bound to address the issues as noted. However, they are not legally bound to do it in any specific way using any specific method.

The are legally bound to provide the services named in the IEP.

Because that is not what an IEP does. You are very mistaken about the purpose and function of an IEP, as well as the legal issues surrounding it.

If my daughter's IEP says "speech therapy for 30 minutes 3 times per week", they are required to provide that or they are violating the law.

The are legally bound to provide the services named in the IEP.

They are legally bound to address the goals in the IEP. They are not legally bound to use any specific methodology to do so. The services listed are nothing more than suggestions on ways the goal might be accomplished. They can also list a suggested method, and then state that the services are not available in that environment.

Really, FJ. You are very new to all of this. Teachers, parents with much experience, other employees of school systems, and professionals have all told you here that you are walking around with some grossly mistaken ideas. Why is it that you think they are all wrong, and you are the only one that is right? People are trying to correct your misperceptions. That would serve you well in the years to come; you should be paying attention. If you continue with it the way you are in this forum, you are going to be spending all of your time fighting loosing battles with school systems and putting your child's needs on the back burner.

They are legally bound to address the goals in the IEP. They are not legally bound to use any specific methodology to do so. The services listed are nothing more than suggestions on ways the goal might be accomplished. They can also list a suggested method, and then state that the services are not available in that environment.

Really, FJ. You are very new to all of this. Teachers, parents with much experience, other employees of school systems, and professionals have all told you here that you are walking around with some grossly mistaken ideas. Why is it that you think they are all wrong, and you are the only one that is right? People are trying to correct your misperceptions. That would serve you well in the years to come; you should be paying attention. If you continue with it the way you are in this forum, you are going to be spending all of your time fighting loosing battles with school systems and putting your child's needs on the back burner.

I am a teacher in a special ed class. I have written IEP's. Don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about. I believe that your area of expertise is NOT education, but psychology.

If my daughter's IEP says "speech therapy for 30 minutes 3 times per week", they are required to provide that or they are violating the law.

Not if the IEP says "services not available" and not if it does not specifically state that the school system will be providing those services. Recommendations for services are made all the time. That is in the best interest of the child. That does not, in any way, mean that the school system is responsible for providing all those recommended services. They are only responsible for addressing the goals in the IEP, and it is their discretion regarding how exactly to address those goals.

FJ - Here's another bit of info. Go ahead a turn that info into your own words and interpretation.

IEPs and Legal Rights

IEPs and Legal Rights
Your and your child have certain legal rights in the public education systems. This section helps you determine those right and how to go about enacting them.
The Laws
The U.S. government guarantees each school age and preschool child the right to free and appropriate education in the least restrictive environment. Schools must provide this education to all handicapped students between the ages of 3 and 21 years. This was written into federal law as PL 94-142, passed in 1975. Since then it has been modified and refined by the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA). More information:
Bill Summary of Public Law: 94-142 (11/29/75).
Students with cancer are covered by these laws under the category "Other Health Impaired" or OHI, since they have medical problems which adversely affect their educational performance. OHI includes medical conditions which affect strength, energy, or alertness.
To provide for the special education needs of the disabled or health impaired, an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) must be developed for each child. The IEP establishes which special services the child needs and how those needs will be met.
For children who may not meet the specific eligibility criteria for services under IDEA, section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act prohibits discrimination against handicapped individuals. Section 504 requires schools to make reasonable accommodations to ensure full access to educational programs for any child with cancer. According to the Cancervive pamphlet, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), passed in 1990, further extends the rights for full-inclusion, and may help in supporting a specific plan for a child with cancer.
The IEP Process
Parents or guardians must request the school administrator to have their child be evaluated for special services. After the formal request has been made, the school district must respond in a specified period of time. A school psychologist will perform an assessment of the child, including psychological and academic testing, and a thorough review of the child's medical, developmental, and school history.
Parents and the school IEP team then meet. Parents may bring a doctor, nurse, or any professional that they choose. The IEP team will review the assessment and discuss any and all findings and relevant information. By law, if the parents disagree with the assessment findings, a second opinion can be requested.
Someone from the school system will be assigned to carry out and monitor each phase of the IEP. A written copy of the IEP must be given to the parents who must agree to the recommendations, either completely or partially, or it is not valid. If the IEP does not seem complete or accurate, parents can appeal the results through a process known as Fair Hearing. The school district must provide information on this process if it is requested.
An annual review of the IEP is required by law, to make sure the child's needs are being met, and to plan for the coming school year. The parent has the right to call for an IEP meeting at anytime that the child's needs have changed and his school program needs to be adjusted."
The five parts of an IEP are listed below.
1. description of the child
2. goals and objectives
3. related services
4. placement
5. evaluating the IEP
IEP: Services the School System Should Provide
During treatment, your child may need special accommodations, such as a quiet place to rest when they are tired, or summaries of school work when they miss class. After treatment, they may experience learning disabilities due to cognitive late effects of cancer treatment.
The Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) may provide for the following services:
Tutoring for subjects in which the child has fallen behind or is having special difficulties handling due to illness and/or treatment.
A liason with regular teachers to help them understand and plan for the impact of the illness and/or treatment on school performance.
Assistance of the school nurse in administering drugs durin school, notifying staff of medical issues and physician recommendations, coordinating the monitoring of chicken pox outbreaks or other communicable diseases that could adversely affect the child.
Teaching services provided at home or hospital for prolonged absences or repeated short term absences.
Special class placement for a child with diagnosed learning disability requiring mor than tutoring to succeed.
Counseling on school adjustment or emotional issues.
Adjustment of class schedules, independent studies, waiver of penalties for absences, or modification of graduation requirements.
Special physical education programs.
Transportation to and from school.
Special equipment or physical access to school facilities.
Specification of ongoing follow-up of the child's progress and recommending additions/deletions to the program based on changing needs.
Possible Student Accommodations
The following strategies are suggestions of the types of accommodations that could be employed to meet the needs of particular students. The accommodations selected for a student should be those necessary to provide a student qualified under 504 the opportunity to access the programs and activities in the school setting.
Curriculum Adaptations: (These programs may have specific entry requirements to be met.)
English as a second language (ESL)
Stepped up language arts (SULA)
Stepped up math (SUM)
Remedial reading
Adapted P.E.
Other (specify)
Lesson Accommodations:
Pair students to check work.
Write key points on the board.
Use visual aids.
Provide access to computer-assisted instruction.
Check student comprehension of directions.
Provide a written outline.
Use multi-sensory methods of instruction.
Provide small group instruction.
Allow students to tape record lessons.
Allow choice about reading aloud in class.
Environmental Accommodations:
Provide preferential seating.
Seat near a role model.
Maintain physical proximity when giving directions.
Avoid distracting stimuli.
Increase distance between desks.
Modified Assignments: (these are especially great for kids with slower processing speeds)
Give extra time to complete tasks.
Simplify directions.
Shorten assignments and provide smaller work segments.
Allow typewritten or computer printed assignments.
Use self monitoring devices.
Reduce homework assignments.
Do not grade handwriting.
Provide study skills training/learning strategies.
Reduce reading level of assignments or instructions.
Allow tape recorded assignments/homework.
Provide a structured routine in written form.
Modify level of difficulty of instructional materials.
Modified Testing Procedures:
Use open book exams.
Use oral exams.
Modify testing responses.
Permit use of tape recorder for testing.
Provide multiple test sessions.
Allow extra time for exams.
Read test items to students.
Flexible expectations for applied spelling.
Support Services:
Intervention from Guidance Counselor.
Adult Volunteer.
Mentoring.
Short-term counseling.
Provide social skills group experiences.
Monitoring by School Nurse.
Administration of medication.
Consult with teacher(s), bus driver, or support personnel.
Parent support group.
Physical/Health Accommodations:
Extra time for transition between classes.
Key to elevator.
Supplying Organization and Study Skills:
Monitor homework assignment book.
Provide an extra set of textbooks.
Send daily/weekly progress reports home.
Develop a reward system for in-school work/homework completed.
Behavior Management:
Praise identified behaviors.
Use self monitoring strategies.
Give extra privileges and rewards.
Review classroom rules regularly.
Allow for short breaks between assignments.
Cue student to stay on task (nonverbal signal).
Monitor student closely on field trip.
Implement a behavior management system.
Allow student time out of seat.
Contract with the student.
Increase the immediacy of rewards.
Implement time-out procedures.
Implement intervention strategies for transitional periods (cafeteria, P.E., etc.).
Additional lists of suggestions for IEPs
parents' suggestions for IEPs
Web sites with information on IEPs
There is a good article on IEPs in the Spring 2000 Candlelighters Newsletter. Go to the Candlelighters site and download this newsletter as a pdf file. You can also phone Candlelighters for a copy of the Federal Regulations (1-800-366-2223) or e-mail them at info@candlelighters.org.

The National Information Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities (NICHCY). (1-800-695-0285)

Special Education and Disability Resources Page from The Cure Our Children Foundation. The author of this site keeps a good listing of links pertinent to the special education needs of childhood cancer survivors.

Disabilities Sports - discussion of Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), 1990

"Cancervive's Teacher's Guide for Kids with Cancer" by Susan Nessim & Ernest R. Katz, Ph.D. Cancervive is located at 6500 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 500, Los Angeles, CA 90048. (310-203-9232) As of October 1999, their web site is just up, and they might add some of the information from the pamphlet to their web site eventually.

How to Write Powerful IEPs on the Wright's Law site.

Office of Special Education and Rehabilitation Services - U.S. Department of Education: A Guide to the Individualized Education Program.

LD Online. "Understanding the Individualized Education Program (I.E.P.) is essential to maximizing special education services for students with learning disabilities. We've assembled informative articles plus useful forms to help parents and educators make the most of the I.E.P. process."

Parent Advocacy: What You Should Do . . . and Not Do; on WrightsLaw. Recommended by a parent.

Be aware that each state has separate guidelines as to the interpretation and implementation of IEPs. You will need to contact your own state's public education system for the details. Parents of children with IEPs report a wide range of success/failure in their interactions with the school systems. Some children get fantastic educational helps without even having an IEP in place; some children get disappointing help even with an IEP. As a parent, you should be aware of your child's legal rights and the potentials of an IEP so that you can be a good advocate for your child.

I am a teacher in a special ed class. I have written IEP's. Don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about. I believe that your area of expertise is NOT education, but psychology.

When, exactly, did you get your teaching degree and license? The last time you spoke of it, you were an aide in a special education class and considering going back to school to become a TOD.

You have not written IEPs. You may have sat in on the meeting where an IEP was being written, but a single individual does not write an IEP. It is a team of professionals.

You are correct...my area of expertise is psychology. It is useful in the educational arena. It allows me to testify at IEP and due process as a qualified professional, and to assess the appropriateness of the goals identified for any child based on their developmental age, and developmental disabilities. It allows me to serve as a professional advocate for children with disabilities in the school setting. It allows me to provide educational assessment and testing that is required by the school system every three years. So, the only person making assumptions here is you when you assume that psychology has nothing to do with the educational system.

FJ - Here's another bit of info. Go ahead a turn that info into your own words and interpretation.

IEPs and Legal Rights

IEPs and Legal Rights
Your and your child have certain legal rights in the public education systems. This section helps you determine those right and how to go about enacting them.
The Laws
The U.S. government guarantees each school age and preschool child the right to free and appropriate education in the least restrictive environment. Schools must provide this education to all handicapped students between the ages of 3 and 21 years. This was written into federal law as PL 94-142, passed in 1975. Since then it has been modified and refined by the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA). More information:
Bill Summary of Public Law: 94-142 (11/29/75).
Students with cancer are covered by these laws under the category "Other Health Impaired" or OHI, since they have medical problems which adversely affect their educational performance. OHI includes medical conditions which affect strength, energy, or alertness.
To provide for the special education needs of the disabled or health impaired, an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) must be developed for each child. The IEP establishes which special services the child needs and how those needs will be met.
For children who may not meet the specific eligibility criteria for services under IDEA, section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act prohibits discrimination against handicapped individuals. Section 504 requires schools to make reasonable accommodations to ensure full access to educational programs for any child with cancer. According to the Cancervive pamphlet, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), passed in 1990, further extends the rights for full-inclusion, and may help in supporting a specific plan for a child with cancer.
The IEP Process
Parents or guardians must request the school administrator to have their child be evaluated for special services. After the formal request has been made, the school district must respond in a specified period of time. A school psychologist will perform an assessment of the child, including psychological and academic testing, and a thorough review of the child's medical, developmental, and school history.
Parents and the school IEP team then meet. Parents may bring a doctor, nurse, or any professional that they choose. The IEP team will review the assessment and discuss any and all findings and relevant information. By law, if the parents disagree with the assessment findings, a second opinion can be requested.
Someone from the school system will be assigned to carry out and monitor each phase of the IEP. A written copy of the IEP must be given to the parents who must agree to the recommendations, either completely or partially, or it is not valid. If the IEP does not seem complete or accurate, parents can appeal the results through a process known as Fair Hearing. The school district must provide information on this process if it is requested.
An annual review of the IEP is required by law, to make sure the child's needs are being met, and to plan for the coming school year. The parent has the right to call for an IEP meeting at anytime that the child's needs have changed and his school program needs to be adjusted."
The five parts of an IEP are listed below.
1. description of the child
2. goals and objectives
3. related services
4. placement
5. evaluating the IEP
IEP: Services the School System Should Provide
During treatment, your child may need special accommodations, such as a quiet place to rest when they are tired, or summaries of school work when they miss class. After treatment, they may experience learning disabilities due to cognitive late effects of cancer treatment.
The Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) may provide for the following services:
Tutoring for subjects in which the child has fallen behind or is having special difficulties handling due to illness and/or treatment.
A liason with regular teachers to help them understand and plan for the impact of the illness and/or treatment on school performance.
Assistance of the school nurse in administering drugs durin school, notifying staff of medical issues and physician recommendations, coordinating the monitoring of chicken pox outbreaks or other communicable diseases that could adversely affect the child.
Teaching services provided at home or hospital for prolonged absences or repeated short term absences.
Special class placement for a child with diagnosed learning disability requiring mor than tutoring to succeed.
Counseling on school adjustment or emotional issues.
Adjustment of class schedules, independent studies, waiver of penalties for absences, or modification of graduation requirements.
Special physical education programs.
Transportation to and from school.
Special equipment or physical access to school facilities.
Specification of ongoing follow-up of the child's progress and recommending additions/deletions to the program based on changing needs.
Possible Student Accommodations
The following strategies are suggestions of the types of accommodations that could be employed to meet the needs of particular students. The accommodations selected for a student should be those necessary to provide a student qualified under 504 the opportunity to access the programs and activities in the school setting.
Curriculum Adaptations: (These programs may have specific entry requirements to be met.)
English as a second language (ESL)
Stepped up language arts (SULA)
Stepped up math (SUM)
Remedial reading
Adapted P.E.
Other (specify)
Lesson Accommodations:
Pair students to check work.
Write key points on the board.
Use visual aids.
Provide access to computer-assisted instruction.
Check student comprehension of directions.
Provide a written outline.
Use multi-sensory methods of instruction.
Provide small group instruction.
Allow students to tape record lessons.
Allow choice about reading aloud in class.
Environmental Accommodations:
Provide preferential seating.
Seat near a role model.
Maintain physical proximity when giving directions.
Avoid distracting stimuli.
Increase distance between desks.
Modified Assignments: (these are especially great for kids with slower processing speeds)
Give extra time to complete tasks.
Simplify directions.
Shorten assignments and provide smaller work segments.
Allow typewritten or computer printed assignments.
Use self monitoring devices.
Reduce homework assignments.
Do not grade handwriting.
Provide study skills training/learning strategies.
Reduce reading level of assignments or instructions.
Allow tape recorded assignments/homework.
Provide a structured routine in written form.
Modify level of difficulty of instructional materials.
Modified Testing Procedures:
Use open book exams.
Use oral exams.
Modify testing responses.
Permit use of tape recorder for testing.
Provide multiple test sessions.
Allow extra time for exams.
Read test items to students.
Flexible expectations for applied spelling.
Support Services:
Intervention from Guidance Counselor.
Adult Volunteer.
Mentoring.
Short-term counseling.
Provide social skills group experiences.
Monitoring by School Nurse.
Administration of medication.
Consult with teacher(s), bus driver, or support personnel.
Parent support group.
Physical/Health Accommodations:
Extra time for transition between classes.
Key to elevator.
Supplying Organization and Study Skills:
Monitor homework assignment book.
Provide an extra set of textbooks.
Send daily/weekly progress reports home.
Develop a reward system for in-school work/homework completed.
Behavior Management:
Praise identified behaviors.
Use self monitoring strategies.
Give extra privileges and rewards.
Review classroom rules regularly.
Allow for short breaks between assignments.
Cue student to stay on task (nonverbal signal).
Monitor student closely on field trip.
Implement a behavior management system.
Allow student time out of seat.
Contract with the student.
Increase the immediacy of rewards.
Implement time-out procedures.
Implement intervention strategies for transitional periods (cafeteria, P.E., etc.).
Additional lists of suggestions for IEPs
parents' suggestions for IEPs
Web sites with information on IEPs
There is a good article on IEPs in the Spring 2000 Candlelighters Newsletter. Go to the Candlelighters site and download this newsletter as a pdf file. You can also phone Candlelighters for a copy of the Federal Regulations (1-800-366-2223) or e-mail them at info@candlelighters.org.

The National Information Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities (NICHCY). (1-800-695-0285)

Special Education and Disability Resources Page from The Cure Our Children Foundation. The author of this site keeps a good listing of links pertinent to the special education needs of childhood cancer survivors.

Disabilities Sports - discussion of Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), 1990

"Cancervive's Teacher's Guide for Kids with Cancer" by Susan Nessim & Ernest R. Katz, Ph.D. Cancervive is located at 6500 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 500, Los Angeles, CA 90048. (310-203-9232) As of October 1999, their web site is just up, and they might add some of the information from the pamphlet to their web site eventually.

How to Write Powerful IEPs on the Wright's Law site.

Office of Special Education and Rehabilitation Services - U.S. Department of Education: A Guide to the Individualized Education Program.

LD Online. "Understanding the Individualized Education Program (I.E.P.) is essential to maximizing special education services for students with learning disabilities. We've assembled informative articles plus useful forms to help parents and educators make the most of the I.E.P. process."

Parent Advocacy: What You Should Do . . . and Not Do; on WrightsLaw. Recommended by a parent.

Be aware that each state has separate guidelines as to the interpretation and implementation of IEPs. You will need to contact your own state's public education system for the details. Parents of children with IEPs report a wide range of success/failure in their interactions with the school systems. Some children get fantastic educational helps without even having an IEP in place; some children get disappointing help even with an IEP. As a parent, you should be aware of your child's legal rights and the potentials of an IEP so that you can be a good advocate for your child.

Very good, KristinaB.

When, exactly, did you get your teaching degree and license? The last time you spoke of it, you were an aide in a special education class and considering going back to school to become a TOD.

That's what I thought too.

You have not written IEPs. You may have sat in on the meeting where an IEP was being written, but a single individual does not write an IEP. It is a team of professionals.

You are correct...my area of expertise is psychology. It is useful in the educational arena. It allows me to testify at IEP and due process as a qualified professional, and to assess the appropriateness of the goals identified for any child based on their developmental age, and developmental disabilities. It allows me to serve as a professional advocate for children with disabilities in the school setting. It allows me to provide educational assessment and testing that is required by the school system every three years. So, the only person making assumptions here is you when you assume that psychology has nothing to do with the educational system.

I'm not an aide,I am working on getting special licensing through a program our state offers. I am hired by the school district and have a mentor, and am working through these steps. http://www.schools.utah.gov/sars/inforesource/pdfs/arlprocess.pdf I have considered changing my direction and instead of teaching at a regular special ed school, going back to school for Deaf ed. I work at a program that has 3 teachers and an administrator. The three of us write IEP's for our students (mostly adults who remain in special ed beyond age 18). We have no other professionals that attend our meetings, so yes, the three teachers and the student are the entire IEP team.

I'm not an aide,I am working on getting special licensing through a program our state offers. I am hired by the school district and hae a mentor, and am working through these steps. http://www.schools.utah.gov/sars/inforesource/pdfs/arlprocess.pdf I have considered changing my direction and instead of teaching at a regular special ed school, going back to school for Deaf ed. I work at a program that has 3 teachers and an adminastrator. The three of us write IEP's for our students (mostly adults who remain in special ed beyond age 18). We have no other professionals that attend our meetings, so yes, the three teachers and the student are the entire IEP team.

As I thought. You are not a teacher in a special education class, and you do not have a teaching degree nor a teaching license. Nor have you written an IEP. It is done as a team effort. And you are also talking about a situation where the child has 12 years worth of IEPs to rely on, and the goals for a student remaining in the special ed system until age 21 are minimal.

As I thought. You are not a teacher in a special education class, and you do not have a teaching degree nor a teaching license.

Call it whatever you want. I work everyday in a special education classroom, we write and implement IEP's everday. (Well, we don't write them everyday because there are only about 20 students...but you catch my drift).

Call it whatever you want. I know what I do everyday in my classroom.

Just because you call it teaching doesn't mean that you are a teacher in a special ed class. You have to be degreed and licensed to be a teacher. You have just managed to blow whatever little credibility you had by intentionally misrepresenting yourself.

Back