NRA offensive exposes deep U.S. divisions on guns

I believe you are entirely too confident in your interpretation of reality and it does not make you far-sighted. As you say, there are some who are in for a "rude awakening" but it may be neither of us.

Evolution will overtake us and, as Texasgolfer says, "People will just replace one with another." He may not have meant people will be replaced with other people but that is the reality.

America is a complex nation but there is more to America than supply and demand, weaponry and military tactics.

I believe that this country is constantly in the process of evolving and that is a source of strength. There will always be those who seek to divide us thru fear and freeze us in place. We have acted best, however, when we have acted together. Where we will end up in another 236 years, and I have witnessed nearly 30% of that number, neither I nor anyone else knows.

a thousand years of history served as a support for my prediction. I too believe you are overly confident that we'll be just fine because of some 1.5 million soldiers. You completely disregard the logistic issue, casualty rate, and overseas.

It took about 6+ months to move nearly 200,000 American troops (plus tanks, fighter jets, etc.) from America to Kuwait for 1991 Persian Gulf War. We already have over 20,000 soldiers in Korea now. I seriously doubt they'll be able to rush back home since quite a handful of them will either be dead or busy fighting and defending if there's WW3.

currently - we have about 150,000 combat-ready soldiers in America ready to move at moment's notice so you tell me if that's "plenty" enough for America. this is where we citizens come in to help out... as militias. but... with this prevailing obesity rate at about 34% or so... a very concerning issue.

6a00d8341bf67c53ef011570005455970c-pi

Does the 2nd Amendment protect you from the enemy like Islamic terrorists, communist Cubans/North Korean military or even aliens? Isn't our military's job for which we pay taxes? That's why they have modern military weapons to defend our country. What I mean is that the 2nd Amendment was written for American citizens, not for our military. All over the world there are militaries.
It can. The military doesn't position itself in each American neighborhood. In fact, within each state it is very limited, except for National Guard units activated by governors.

The U.S. military didn't prevent 9/11 from happening. It was civilian passengers who prevented the plane in Pennsylvania from carrying out the terrorists' mission.

It can. The military doesn't position itself in each American neighborhood. In fact, within each state it is very limited, except for National Guard units activated by governors.

The U.S. military didn't prevent 9/11 from happening. It was civilian passengers who prevented the plane in Pennsylvania from carrying out the terrorists' mission.

Well, they caught us unprepared. Plus, at that time we didn't know how many planes were hijacked and which plane(s) that was hijacked. Military jets were up and they were too late.

It seems this debate is going to be a “bottomless debate” - a same category as religion, abortion, etc… – where both sides will never win this debate. And I’m not going to waste my time in here. Have fun buttheading each other, boys & girls. :wave:

Well, they caught us unprepared. Plus, at that time we didn't know how many planes were hijacked and which plane(s) that was hijacked. Military jets were up and they were too late.

It seems this debate is going to be a “bottomless debate” - a same category as religion, abortion, etc… – where both sides will never win this debate. And I’m not going to waste my time in here. Have fun buttheading each other, boys & girls. :wave:

The gun rights side is backed by the constitution....there really is no debate.

I don't agree about there is no debate about gun rights because we have a lot of debate about the constitution and we have many threads that debate about guns. The gun rights have a lot of controversial like gay rights, abortion, woman's right, freedom of speech, religion, worker rights, etc so we never make same agreement.

I watched TV news talking about gun control since Sandy Hook shooting so Congress CAN'T ignore our voices. When it becomes a new law, I suggest that gun owners shut up and obey it. End of discussion.

I watched TV news talking about gun control since Sandy Hook shooting so Congress CAN'T ignore our voices. When it becomes a new law, I suggest that gun owners shut up and obey it. End of discussion.

um.... anti-gun people get to voice their concerns and we can't?

oh I see.

This is not a one sided debate. The current polls only show a 52% majority and the polls are only an estimate. It is possible politicians could enact the law regardless of the polls. However, that would be short lived should we get into another military conflict. Part of the reason assault like weapons are no longer banned is because of military conflict. Chances are any ban will be a renewable one and probably not be renewed during military conflict so we would be back were we are today.

This is not a one sided debate. The current polls only show a 52% majority and the polls are only an estimate. It is possible politicians could enact the law regardless of the polls. However, that would be short lived should we get into another military conflict. Part of the reason assault like weapons are no longer banned is because of military conflict. Chances are any ban will be a renewable one and probably not be renewed during military conflict so we would be back were we are today.
:confused: The 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to U.S. Military. When there is an assault weapons ban, it's for civilians only.

There are so fucking MANY people's concern about shootings so you and others will lose the battle.

Obama has done nothing on this issue since he became the President and will continue to do so despite of massacres that have happened during his administration.

my guess? some states will enact stricter gun laws but on federal level? same as usual - absolutely nothing. I hope I'm right.

Obama has done nothing on this issue since he became the President and will continue to do so.
Obviously you don't pay attention to news. He did talk about gun control after the incident. He's going to make rich people pay more taxes and ban assault weapons in 2013.

All presidents are on high risk and very high chance to get shot.

It has changed so much after Regean got shot in 1981 assassination attempt and assassination of JFK.

and Abraham Lincoln. and Garfield. and McKinley. and Roosevelt. Hoover. and FDR. and Truman. and Nixon. and Ford. and Carter. and Clinton. and GWB.

Obviously you don't pay attention to news. He did talk about gun control after the incident. He's going to make rich people pay more taxes and ban assault weapons in 2013.

*shrug*

why put it off till next month? so that people will calm down and be rational. we can wait and see in few weeks.

and no he did not talk about gun control. he said he will "talk" about it next month.

Obama has done nothing on this issue since he became the President and will continue to do so despite of massacres that have happened during his administration.

my guess? some states will enact stricter gun laws but on federal level? same as usual - absolutely nothing. I hope I'm right.

Yup, for states - very likely but for federal, strong doubtfully because of gridlocked congress, unless they could find way to fix in bipartisan.

Back