Not so relaxing camping :(

Wow, I saw that on the news tonight. I can't imagine snow this early.

At our campgrounds, we met a group of bikers. Some of them were from Boston area. They're riding their bikes back. I hope they don't run into that bad weather. :cold:

:shock: I knew a guy who drove to work on his motorcycle. He always took the car when it was going to rain

Glad that everyone is unscathed. Just wondering, how do you plug in the electric blanket? Really long extension cord?
This campground is one with facilities; it's not a real rough one. We do have a long outdoor-rated extension cord. We can inflate our air mattresses and plug in our electric blanket. This is the first time we used the blanket. Usually when we camp we need fans instead. :lol:

You'll appreciate this: we also have a battery-operated Coleman lantern with high-low settings, a night light, and A REMOTE CONTROL. :giggle:

:shock: I knew a guy who drove to work on his motorcycle. He always took the car when it was going to rain
This was a large group of bikers, all military veterans and active duty, from different parts of the country (I think mostly East Coast) who gathered to ride together. They all had Motto Guzzi motorcycles.

They stayed in the cabins and guest houses. :lol:

Cabins:

Attachments

• cabins.jpg
    cabins.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 20
Sorry the camping trip was a bummer....but so glad that none of you were "rolling on down the river" with all the wind! :giggle:

No camping for me...an RV maybe...but not in a tent.

This was a large group of bikers, all military veterans and active duty, from different parts of the country (I think mostly East Coast) who gathered to ride together. They all had Motto Guzzi motorcycles.

They stayed in the cabins and guest houses. :lol:

Cabins:

Just out of curiosty, did you wish you were in one of the cabins?

Sorry the camping trip was a bummer....but so glad that none of you were "rolling on down the river" with all the wind! :giggle:

No camping for me...an RV maybe...but not in a tent.

My idea of camping would be a four star motel! :giggle:

Well, Hubby (TCS) and I went camping with some friends yesterday (Friday afternoon). We were supposed to stay until late this afternoon. TCS told me yesterday, "Just take some time to relax; just sit around the fire, and relax."

Well, when we got to the campgrounds, there was a little drizzle and breeze. The temperature was dropping. We expected it to get cool that night but not too bad.

We got everything set up, cooked our hot dogs over the open fire, and visited with out friends. Not too bad except for the dampness and colder weather. Finally, I was just too cold and went to bed about 10:30. It wasn't too bad in our tent because TCS and I brought our electric blanket.

During the night, it got colder but we didn't realize how much because our blanket kept us warm. I did notice that the rain flap and tarp over our tent was flapping kind of hard.

I got up at 7 a.m., went to the wash house (bathroom), came back changed clothes, packed a few things. Then I went outside to start up the fire, which had died overnight. When the fire was going good, I went back to the wash house to freshen up. By the time I walked back, the wind had really picked up. Everyone else in our group us up by then. The tents were starting to bounce and sway. After a while, they started to collapse. The other two ladies and the two kids sat in their minivan. The two single guys put away their two small tents. TCS was starting to take down our screen-room tent that we use as a common kitchen area. It had already started to bend.

I started unloading our stuff from our tent because it looked like it was going to either collapse or blow into the lake. It started raining. It was really cold and windy.

We didn't realize that the other husband was still in his family's large tent. He's an injured vet with mobility and pain problems. By the time we found out, his tent was collapsing and tearing apart. We all went to help him unload his tent and help him out of it. (We ended up putting their tent in the dumpster at the campgrounds. :( )

By 9 a.m., we were packed up and leaving. We told some other campers there that they could have the rest of our firewood. (We brought a load of wood in our utility trailer, and about half was left.)

It was even more upsetting for the other family because two of their guests were from upstate, and they had already paid to stay a second night. Not to mention, they have no more tent, and they can't afford a new one.

We spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning our camping gear, drying it out, and putting it away. (Some is still drying.) We're going to invest in heavier duty tent stakes.

TCS and I will grill our hamburgers at home tonight. :|

Sounds like you really roughed it, although it didn't sound enjoyable. How is the vet that had to be pulled from his collapsed tent? I hope he is OK.

It might not have been that bad if you had a hard-shell camper or an RV even. I have a couple of friends that every year during the week of Christmas, they go camping in their RV when the campgrounds aren't crowded like they are during the summer. They have a mini fake Christmas tree they set up and they have a small Christmas right there. They have their bigger Christmas usually the first weekend of the new year as their family lives within driving distance and it's easier for them to do it then.

I think it's kinda cool, even if it's not for me.

I've got a battery operated fan. I've also used the outlet for the airmattress. I've just never tried a blanket. I only go where there are electrical outlets and flushing toliets, usually a nice state park.

Sounds like you really roughed it, although it didn't sound enjoyable. How is the vet that had to be pulled from his collapsed tent? I hope he is OK.
He was in pain, and slow to get out but he was OK. He has to use a cane for walking, and it's hard for him to get up and down. He's tall, too, so being scrunched in a collapsing tent was very uncomfortable.

It might not have been that bad if you had a hard-shell camper or an RV even.
I'm sure you're right. The campers who were there in campers and RV's seemed to be fine.

I have a couple of friends that every year during the week of Christmas, they go camping in their RV when the campgrounds aren't crowded like they are during the summer. They have a mini fake Christmas tree they set up and they have a small Christmas right there. They have their bigger Christmas usually the first weekend of the new year as their family lives within driving distance and it's easier for them to do it then.
Cool!

I've got a battery operated fan. I've also used the outlet for the airmattress. I've just never tried a blanket. I only go where there are electrical outlets and flushing toliets, usually a nice state park.
This campground has centrally located washrooms that include regular toilets, sinks, and showers. The building has lights, AC and heat. It also has vending machines. There's a little convenience type store open during the day. They rent out fishing and pontoon boats, there's a swimming beach, playgrounds, picnic areas, and an enclosed pavilion for special events. It's for military, active and retired, and DOD civilians only. Some retired people live there full-time in their RV's.

What bad weather?????????????????????? :P

Anything for camping on wheels is forbidden in the subdivision. No sense buying a camper or motor home if you have to keep it miles away paying storage rent.

What bad weather?????????????????????? :P

Anything for camping on wheels is forbidden in the subdivision. No sense buying a camper or motor home if you have to keep it miles away paying storage rent.

What's the sense in living in a subdivision where you have no real rights over your own property?

The trip will be remembered as an adventure and laughed about years later. I have had trips like that before where the tent got flooded and we ended up sleeping in the car. Looking back. We laugh about it and consider it as an adventure. :)

Glad everyone is safe and warm now.

You sure got a good work out if anything good came out of the trip! That is a bummer your trip was a bust. I hope your hamburgers where yummy!

Oh that's a shame that your freinds' tent got ruined and they cant afford another one. How about going to thrift stores and seeing if they can find one?

I love camping but dont get to go too often because hubby's idea of camping is a hotel.

I used to camp for so many years. I had a pop-up trailer. That did the job as far as keeping us dry, but sometimes it was NOT a fun weekend when it was nothing but rain, rain, rain. I remember one weekend when it rained so much that anyone in tents was just WET. The campsite next to ours was so soaked, they started up a fire the next morning and burned EVERYTHING. Including the tent. I think they were pissed. :lol: We sold the trailer years ago, but we are starting to talk about getting back into doing that again.

Sorry your camping weekend wasn't so hot, Reba. I could just envision everything you were saying !!

I only when camping by myself once with my Samoyed Husky in Northern California. Someone told me about a real neat hippie camp that had everything all set up. So I had a friend drop my dog and me off on a highway to hitchhike rides from Berkley to Northern California. My boyfriend wanted nothing to with and told me not to go. I got a ride from a guy that knew a shot cut to the hippie camp, you had to cut through a sheep farm! We decided to try the short cut and while we where walking through the farm my dog freaked out and got of her collar! I was worried she would get shot as I knew the farmers had a rights to kill any 'animal' that threat to their livestock. The next thing I knew it looked like
The Beverly hillbillies where coming after the guy and me! A trucked pulled up and 3 young guys jumped out the back and the dad came out of driver side with a rifle and pointed it at the guy and me and held us at gun point! My dog came back right then and rifleman aimed his rifle at my dog and I jump up in front of the gun ,He wanted to know who dog it was and I said mine. The cops finally came and wanted to know why we need not get off the farmer land when he was yelling at us. I told that cops I was HOH and never did not hear him. We where allowed to leave as long as we kept off the farmer land, he told us to watch out for his 'wild' dogs! When we got back to the guy's car all of his windows been broken ! When I finally got to the hippie camp I was told no dogs where allowed!! I brought no tent as I was counting on staying at hippie camp that had tents set up!! I had to camp with no tent that night and while looking for a camp site a park ranger wanted to see my ID, he thought I was a 'run away teenager', I told him I was 25 years but he did not believe, I an ID card to prove it. That night I woke when I heard my dog growling like never before! A mountain lion was in our camp site and my timid dog became a Rin Tin Tin and kept the mountain lion out of our camp site! And there was no fight. I decided it would be best to move to safer place and made the first spot that looked safe our new camp site. I woke up very early the next when I heard "moo moo moo. "I had slept in a cow pasture all night!! And there where cows everywhere mooing! LOL!! It was time to go home!

Back