Not so relaxing camping :(

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, Hubby (TCS) and I went camping with some friends yesterday (Friday afternoon). We were supposed to stay until late this afternoon. TCS told me yesterday, "Just take some time to relax; just sit around the fire, and relax."

Well, when we got to the campgrounds, there was a little drizzle and breeze. The temperature was dropping. We expected it to get cool that night but not too bad.

We got everything set up, cooked our hot dogs over the open fire, and visited with out friends. Not too bad except for the dampness and colder weather. Finally, I was just too cold and went to bed about 10:30. It wasn't too bad in our tent because TCS and I brought our electric blanket.

During the night, it got colder but we didn't realize how much because our blanket kept us warm. I did notice that the rain flap and tarp over our tent was flapping kind of hard.

I got up at 7 a.m., went to the wash house (bathroom), came back changed clothes, packed a few things. Then I went outside to start up the fire, which had died overnight. When the fire was going good, I went back to the wash house to freshen up. By the time I walked back, the wind had really picked up. Everyone else in our group us up by then. The tents were starting to bounce and sway. After a while, they started to collapse. The other two ladies and the two kids sat in their minivan. The two single guys put away their two small tents. TCS was starting to take down our screen-room tent that we use as a common kitchen area. It had already started to bend.

I started unloading our stuff from our tent because it looked like it was going to either collapse or blow into the lake. It started raining. It was really cold and windy.

We didn't realize that the other husband was still in his family's large tent. He's an injured vet with mobility and pain problems. By the time we found out, his tent was collapsing and tearing apart. We all went to help him unload his tent and help him out of it. (We ended up putting their tent in the dumpster at the campgrounds. :( )

By 9 a.m., we were packed up and leaving. We told some other campers there that they could have the rest of our firewood. (We brought a load of wood in our utility trailer, and about half was left.)

It was even more upsetting for the other family because two of their guests were from upstate, and they had already paid to stay a second night. Not to mention, they have no more tent, and they can't afford a new one.

We spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning our camping gear, drying it out, and putting it away. (Some is still drying.) We're going to invest in heavier duty tent stakes.

TCS and I will grill our hamburgers at home tonight. :|

Our friends' tent. (TCS in gray hoody on right.) Friend is inside with someone helping him.

Please excuse the fuzzy picture. It was taken by me with my Blackberry, in the rain, with shaking freezing hands.

Attachments

• destroyedtent1.jpg
    destroyedtent1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 52
Sucks. I've been there too. It's not pleasant either at about 11,000' and 80 mph winds at ya in October.

Sorry your trip was a disappointment. Danged unpredictable weather. But burgers are good anywhere!

Whitecaps on the lake, as seen from our campsite.

Attachments

• whitecaps.jpg
    whitecaps.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 29
Our tent collapsing. (At least it didn't blow into the water!)

Attachments

• ourtent.jpg
    ourtent.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 42
Sorry the weather wasn't too good, but that's the risk you take when going camping.

In Massachusetts tonight, we are expecting snow up to one foot in some areas. It's very unusual, but that is the risk of New England weather.

I'm sure the hamburgers tonight will be good.

So sorry the weather messed everything up. Glad no one was really injured through this. Hope the friend who needed help getting his out of his tent doesn't have any lasting problems stemming from this cold wet snap.

Enjoy your burgers and stay warm and dry.

Sucks. I've been there too. It's not pleasant either at about 11,000' and 80 mph winds at ya in October.
Oh, I realize others have experienced much worse. If my friends hadn't been involved, it wouldn't be so bad. I feel really bad for them. Camping is one of the few activities they can afford as a family. The tent was a gift to them, so it was a double whammy.

Too bad we couldn't get a refund for the second night that we didn't stay. :|

The only weird thing that happened to me was my right arm. While I was sleeping toasty under the blanket last night, I woke up to my arm feeling very painful and icy cold. :dunno: Then, all day today, it's been very sore, with pain radiating from the wrist to the shoulder, with the elbow hurting most. I probably just laid on it wrong. Or, as the doctor always tells me, "It's just old age." :roll:

Nothing better than camping in beautiful weather ... nothing worse than camping in the rain and wind! Too many cold, wet weekends when the kids were small was what finalized our decision to finally invest in a solid trailer haha.

I can see it was a beautiful location. Sorry it didn't end well.

Glad that everyone is unscathed. Just wondering, how do you plug in the electric blanket? Really long extension cord?

Sorry your camping trip didn't go well. I hope your next camping trip goes better.

Nothing better than camping in beautiful weather ... nothing worse than camping in the rain and wind! Too many cold, wet weekends when the kids were small was what finalized our decision to finally invest in a solid trailer haha.
There were several other campers in RV's and cabins. They looked very comfortable and tempting. :giggle:

Sorry the weather wasn't too good, but that's the risk you take when going camping.

In Massachusetts tonight, we are expecting snow up to one foot in some areas. It's very unusual, but that is the risk of New England weather.
Wow, I saw that on the news tonight. I can't imagine snow this early.

At our campgrounds, we met a group of bikers. Some of them were from Boston area. They're riding their bikes back. I hope they don't run into that bad weather. :cold:

I can see it was a beautiful location. Sorry it didn't end well.
Thank you.

Yes, it is a very nice location. We always put our tent very close to the water. We usually get lots of visits from the ducks and other water birds. :giggle:

Back